Sponsored

C8 Corvette Z06 getting a flat plane crank!

feeny1701

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'21 Canyon Denali LB, ‘19 ATS-V
The FPC sorta scares me after what i, and many others, went through with the 350. But these cars are just crushing things from a performance standpoint. I’m like @Braski , kinda feel like i want to try a DCT car, but also kinda want my #manualforevabruh
I traded an Audi S6 with their DCT for my GT350. The transmission was nice and all, but I really just missed shifting gears. The DCTs are lightning fast on the gear changes, but you lose your connection with the car when you use the paddles to shift.
Sponsored

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
If Ford & GM can sell every GT500 and C8 with a DCT why would they bother with a manual?
I understand from a business standpoint. I just dont understand from a drivers standpoint. I guess I'm old school even though I'm not that old. It's not just cars, I like to do everything the hard way. I still shoot a compound bow vs a crossbow, I still plant a garden vs buying everything, I'd rather spend all day milling a part on a manual milling machine than writing a program and letting a cnc mill do all the work in a couple minutes. Maybe it has something to do with living in Stanky Lanky. Some "Amish" people here are still riding in horse and buggies! I have to admit, some if the buggies look pretty good!
horse-and-buggy-700.jpg

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
I understand from a business standpoint. I just dont understand from a drivers standpoint. I guess I'm old school even though I'm not that old. It's not just cars, I like to do everything the hard way. I still shoot a compound bow vs a crossbow, I still plant a garden vs buying everything, I'd rather spend all day milling a part on a manual milling machine than writing a program and letting a cnc mill do all the work in a couple minutes. Maybe it has something to do with living in Stanky Lanky. Some "Amish" people here are still riding in horse and buggies! I have to admit, some if the buggies look pretty good!
horse-and-buggy-700.jpg
Well, I have a compound bow also. Takes a lot of strength to draw it back.

I too prefer a Manual over a DCT.

But it seems the beancounters are winning at this game.

Hell, I'm happy we aren't all electric yet.

As Henry Ford once said, "If I asked everyone what they really wanted back in the early 1900s they would have said a Faster Horse."

Steve Jobs said the same thing about the iPad and iPhone back in 2007.

There was no Need for them at the time. :giggle:

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Curious what the displacement will be. The C8R testing audio certainly sounds much closer to the 3.8L FPC twin turbo V8 found in McLaren's than the 5.2 twin turbo Voodoo's that the boys over at Fathouse are putting together. We all know Ford struggled with the FPC and the size of our engine so perhaps Chevy is going smaller and turbo's. Small FPC V8's with Turbos are working great and making tons of power in many exotic cars out there today.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
I will be happy if Chevy doesn't best the 5.2 liters of displacement in their FPC V8. Letting the GT350 keep the largest production displacement FPC V8 crown.

Ford got rid of flat plain for 500 to supercharge. No copy. 800 HP.
Ford said from Day 1 the FPC Voodoo V8 will remain exclusive to the GT350.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'd wager Chevy saw the reception of the Voodoo and the praises it received from every major publication and it inspired them to go FPC also.
It's typical of Chevy to copy Ford's great ideas. About time Chevy joined the modern world and build a V8 with overhead cams.

I wouldn't buy one produced in the first year.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
I think you can abandon any likelihood of any C8 variant being offered in a manual - now the platform has gone DCT, sold out, there's zero reason / business rationale, to offer a manual.
From Autoblog.

"At the intoxicating end of Automobile's scuttlebutt, there's a suggestion that Chevy could swap out the Stingray's eight-speed dual-clutch trans for a 10-speed dual-clutch, and that the Z06 could get a manual transmission option on top of that. Since we're already thrilled with the base Stingray, we'll be more than satisfied with 800 horsepower. Everything after that is just ginormous cherries."

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/25/c8-chevy-corvette-z06-800-hp-rumor/

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, the GT500 "could get" a manual too :D

I'd be shocked for them to spend any time engineering a manual to handle that power, designing all the required changes into the car (even including interior components), having to deal with two different transmission builds in terms of the line/logistics/parts, and then stand that up next to a DCT (vs. a traditional auto, which I could see both being offered).

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
It's typical of Chevy to copy Ford's great ideas. About time Chevy joined the modern world and build a V8 with overhead cams.

Or two.

Let's not forget about the 3.4 Twin Dual Cam of the '90s.....

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500

Garbage Motors has been copying FORD for years

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
i was wondering when someone was going to make a thread about it. im considering selling but only if they come out with a manual. hm.... when to sell... when to sell...

However, even at the 3LT package, it states its a 6.2 LT2 V* Engine. Where's the discrepancy at that? Is there another trim model that will offer the FPC Twin Turbo?
The 6.2L LT2 is for Stingray only at this point. That includes base car and Z51. Z06 will get a 5.5L LT6 DOHC with FPC. Jury is still out on whether Grand Sport will get 6.2L LT2 or 5.5L LT6. My original thoughts were LT6 but I'm starting to see indications it might stay with LT2.

I'd wager Chevy saw the reception of the Voodoo and the praises it received from every major publication and it inspired them to go FPC also.
Corvette team had purchased a Ferrari 458 with 4.5L FPC before my team had informed them that GT350 was getting a flat planed crank.

I think you can abandon any likelihood of any C8 variant being offered in a manual - now the platform has gone DCT, sold out, there's zero reason / business rationale, to offer a manual.
Ain't...…. gonna...…. happen. Tadge Juechter said so. Ed Piatek said so. They would have to be the ones to develop and execute it and they are both saying nope. You are right about there not being a business reason to do it. Add to that Ed Piatek's detailed technical description of how the center tunnel is structurally critical to the car and that there is no way they are going to cut into it to place a shifter mechanism.

Corvette team had purchased a Ferrari 458 with 4.5L FPC before my team had informed them that GT350 was getting a flat planed crank. McLaren MPC12-4 and 570s were also part of the benchmarking exercises.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Corvette team had purchased a Ferrari 458 with 4.5L FPC before my team had informed them that GT350 was getting a flat planed crank. McLaren MPC12-4 and 570s were also part of the benchmarking exercises.
Wow, so they've already been working on it for over 5 years? That's a long time. I assume they are done at this point?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Corvette team had purchased a Ferrari 458 with 4.5L FPC before my team had informed them that GT350 was getting a flat planed crank.
and they could find a business justification on going even farther off the deep end (time + $$$) trying to pull off a FPC at even bigger displacement than Ford's effort?

Given the long history of 4.4" bore centers and bore sizes of 103.25mm they at least do know what combustion looks like at those sizes. 102x84 or 103.25x82 could work. Piston speeds are also well in hand as well.
As much as I would love to see 8800RPM in NA guise, with FI they can back that down to 7500 and simplify the vibration problem.

I've always wondered why if motorcyle engine designers can shove a balance shaft into their very cramped designs, how come car engine designers don't? It's not like they don't have the room to work with.
Sponsored

Last edited: