Ceramic coating - Full process

Narwaniec594

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
17 Gt350
My 2017 with a lot track days (6 mine and probably 20+ previous owner) and 10 dollar wax applied 3 months ago
20190824_202857.jpg
Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I applied myself 2 layers of cquartz and one layer of Gliss.. looks very well and it lasts at least 3 years if you take care of it and apply Reload from time to time. I also did the wheels.

Cost is under 200 bucks....

Tatum337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
What happened to just good ole fashion wax and the occasional buff job?? Y'all's money but no way in he$$ I'd pay it. That money could go toward a repaint job later. And I'm sure the cars don't get driven in the rain, so don't understand the need, IMO

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
I can certainly appreciate micro scratch free paint, with a glass like finish.

Problem is, keeping it that way. Even being super careful with the standard 2 bucket method, using a pre-soak with a rinseless wash etc, you will inevitably incur micro scratches again.

OP, what did they recommend for maintenance?

My main concern is that I do not possess the skills or patience to fully correct my paint myself (mine is Deep Impact Blue and terrible at hiding micro scratches), so am happy to pay $$$$ for a professional to spend 1-2 days dialing the car’s paint in, then applying a coating to give some kind of resistance to marring/looking like cr@p after weekly washes.

Tatum337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Now, I'm willing to pay 500 or so, but these guys spending thousands, I'm like that's crazy.

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Rather than spend hours and hours applying quartz or ceramic goo, I'd rather actually go drive....and get it dirty and smeared with bugs. I did just that this weekend then went to a spray coin operated car wash....cleaned it up with five dollars of quarters....and I wiped it off I using Griots spray liquid wet Wax. Nice and shiny now.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I can certainly appreciate micro scratch free paint, with a glass like finish.

Problem is, keeping it that way. Even being super careful with the standard 2 bucket method, using a pre-soak with a rinseless wash etc, you will inevitably incur micro scratches again.

OP, what did they recommend for maintenance?

My main concern is that I do not possess the skills or patience to fully correct my paint myself (mine is Deep Impact Blue and terrible at hiding micro scratches), so am happy to pay $$$$ for a professional to spend 1-2 days dialing the car’s paint in, then applying a coating to give some kind of resistance to marring/looking like cr@p after weekly washes.
If you apply a couple of layers of ceramic protection, it acts like a snapshot in time of your paint... You will not get anymore micro-scratches from washing, dust, etc. That's why it is recommended to do a polish (and maybe a cut if needed) beforehand if paint has defects, as it will stay like that for a while.
I am very happy with Carpro products, it will keep your car scratch free for ages. You just need to maintain it properly (with Reload), and don't let it get too dirty...

OP
OP
JSong

JSong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JWS
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Vehicle Showcase
Got mine back today. Very happy with the results. 5 layer ceramic coating on all the paint, plastic, glass, and wheel faces, PPF on the front bumper area. I don't think the camera picked up my reflection as well as I would have liked, but you get the idea.

That looks beautifully done.

To answer a question about maintenance.

I took it back to get the first wash and any final checks since it’s been 2 weeks. They washed, reloaded, and buffed out any high marks that can be seen.

After that, I just take it to them every 2 weeks or once a month for full wash, and external detail and reload for $100 which includes taking the wheels off to clean and reload the hydrophobic coating.

Without wheels, it is $65. To me, it’s time I don’t have to spend doing this worth the cost. Also the wash process is all manual and they do a 2 wash process. Wash it down once with some spray, then rinse, then spray foam, then hand wash, then rinse, then air dry then hand dry using soft Korean clothe.

I’ll post some picture of the process. These guys tell me the coating they put on which was 3 coats. Should last a life time as long as I keep it maintained regularly. And they used 4 different colored bottle to wash the car. Then also steam cleaned the interior. But they told me interior is once in every 2-3 month thing.
16E55AE7-C144-4628-A435-6F8AA4C35DFA.jpeg
3414BB65-7D53-45D4-A49C-3893575B38A7.jpeg
60D38036-5C9E-4835-A6BC-F1A68A63D12D.jpeg
4B0F6478-25A2-49A3-9803-57D725ABE0AA.jpeg
18078FF7-5E32-4F16-9AD8-D5619CEDE5B2.jpeg
D730E5F5-B05B-461D-A970-A6C6A6FF8AA8.jpeg
6B82A894-C174-4496-AFA9-8025CD6D9D3D.jpeg
A7A7B7C1-7CE5-45E1-AC58-3F3669C5A5E4.jpeg
25E136B9-3ADD-44B4-AE5E-4148761AB3AA.jpeg
D637D165-D4C7-4CB2-A5B4-E52379FC41C8.jpeg
E6BF3746-AB12-4034-9122-3D99153A6773.jpeg

OP
OP
JSong

JSong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JWS
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Vehicle Showcase
The only thing I did to this car myself is the following.

1. Installed oil separator for driver and passenger side
2. BMR car jack rails under the vehicle so it can be easily lifted with car jack
3. Purchased the car lift (on major sale at Home Depot) to easily lift the car for oil change
4. Replaced air filter with AirBus blue dry filter

Here is the link to quick jack car lift.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/QuickJa...ortable-Car-Lift-BL-5000SLX-AC-110v/307393222

The air filter I felt made instant responsive improvement.

The reason why I don’t want oil changes done by dealer is for obvious reasons. Plus with the car jack, it takes no time to do it.

I’ll probably replace the end links for front and back suspension with BMR links. I heard it really reduces any suspension clunk and makes handling more solid.

dboz1983

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150, ‘20 GT350
Do you have any problems getting the QuickJack under the car after installing the rails? I am sure it is a tight/close fit.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JSong

JSong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JWS
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any problems getting the QuickJack under the car after installing the rails? I am sure it is a tight/close fit.
Not at all. Should have plenty of clearance.

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I will say, car came out really good. Its a lot of cheddar, but man does it shine

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
My 2 cents :) Just wondering why you guys are spending thousands of hard earned dollars on some ceramic coatings with life time warranty?
They are brand new cars, with meeeh paint quality but with decent clear coat. 90 procent of us will change the car before factory warranty expires so max 5-6 years because its not the last mustang ever made and we, always want new toy some day.

Protect the paint? From what? Are you planning to keep in the the salty water? Keep it year around outside baking on Arizona heat? Drive it through harsh chicago salty winter? Daily it 30 k miles a year? I doubt it. It will be in garage, under cover , in a shade , taken out on the weekend or some track days.
Similar shine will give you regular 10 dollar wax than you can apply yourself twice a year. If you track it alot, i would inatall protection film on front bumper. If you daily it, just drive it, enjoy it. That 3 k, i would spent on track tires or vacation just my 2 cents and what i think about it . But yes the shine looks good !
I did mine for ease of up keep. The ceramic does not 100% protect your car like a clearbra, but it does significantly reduce wash / dry time to get the shine.

I think dounut made an entire video about why ceramic is good (of course the embellished some things).

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
It also reduces dramatically the number of micro scratches you get from washing and dust, etc. It is pretty good. I am no longer concerned about using the california duster brush after coating... just my 2 cents

OP
OP
JSong

JSong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JWS
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Vehicle Showcase
My 2 cents :) Just wondering why you guys are spending thousands of hard earned dollars on some ceramic coatings with life time warranty?
They are brand new cars, with meeeh paint quality but with decent clear coat. 90 procent of us will change the car before factory warranty expires so max 5-6 years because its not the last mustang ever made and we, always want new toy some day.

Protect the paint? From what? Are you planning to keep in the the salty water? Keep it year around outside baking on Arizona heat? Drive it through harsh chicago salty winter? Daily it 30 k miles a year? I doubt it. It will be in garage, under cover , in a shade , taken out on the weekend or some track days.
Similar shine will give you regular 10 dollar wax than you can apply yourself twice a year. If you track it alot, i would inatall protection film on front bumper. If you daily it, just drive it, enjoy it. That 3 k, i would spent on track tires or vacation just my 2 cents and what i think about it . But yes the shine looks good !
Very good point.

I guess there is never good rationale behind why ...

To me it was preservation of the original paint via UV discoloration and protection and thicker clear coating to preserve the original paint job. Ceramic coating is thicker and harder if applied multiple coats.

Ability to maintain easier is a nice perk too.

I think had I thought more about it, the clear bra may have been a better option. But interior and wheels would still be needed. So clear bra I think for my car was $6k for whole car. Ceramic for the body was around $1800

Its all waste of money ... But I really want to preserve this car. daily driving is more justification to do this asap
Sponsored