2019 GT350 DYNO by Motortrend

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
The 2019 GT350 was tested by Car and Driver and it did the 1/4 mile in 12.5 @ 117. That's the same exact ET and trap speed the 2016 model did, so I don't think the newer car is any more powerful.
This from recent Car & Driver comparison test; AUG. '19. Draw your own conclusions
20190825_150723.jpg
Sponsored

CNFLCTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
This from recent Car & Driver comparison test; AUG. '19. Draw your own conclusions
20190825_150723.jpg
I think I read in the Motor Trend comparison vs the Supra that they referred to the mods for the 2019 as basically making it perform like an R. If this chart is to be believed they are pretty darn close.

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
I think I read in the Motor Trend comparison vs the Supra that they referred to the mods for the 2019 as basically making it perform like an R. If this chart is to be believed they are pretty darn close.
Yep, on paper at least! Lol! I don't honestly think MY butt would feel difference of .1sec and 1mph in 1/4mi. nor a .01g on skidpad. That said, fact remains an R is a sharper scalpel, more track focused beast.
Don't intend to get into a 'pissing contest' with the many satisfied, proud and fortunate R owners. They own an awesome driver's choice! Heck, I was @ local dealer few weeks ago w/ intent to buy their '19 R. '19 GT350 "re-fresh" is legit.....just saying.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Billy Johnson (pro driver who teamed w/FP to do '19 re-fresh) would almost certainly beg to differ I bet.
Everything you listed is within the realm of better rubber. FP never claimed to have increased power and none of those are affected by the changes they have said they made so I am not sure what they "would beg to differ" on

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
Everything you listed is within the realm of better rubber. FP never claimed to have increased power and none of those are affected by the changes they have said they made so I am not sure what they "would beg to differ" on
True, everything they(Car&Driver)-not I- listed is within realm of the better New for '19 Sport Cup 2 tires perhaps....
I just took your statement as a dismissal of the legitimacy of the significant improvement FP has made to the '19.
As you know, slapping on better rubber helped as a starting pt. But it is the handling, chassis, braking changes made to take full benefit of grippy tires that was necessary to complete the desired effect.
EPAS,ABS, Springs, Rear Sway, Magneride tuning, ........several aspects tweaked. Just interesting to see 1st comparo test done of the '19 against its predecessor and the R model I thought. Cheers!

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
You could certainly buy the new tires. I know the rear spoiler and springs are different. Wonder if they would make the software tweaks available to pre 2019 cars?

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
You could certainly buy the new tires. I know the rear spoiler and springs are different. Wonder if they would make the software tweaks available to pre 2019 cars?
No, the software tweaks will not be available for the 2018 & older cars.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I would be interested to the see comparison but I suspect it will never be done. The skeptic in me says Ford changed the tires that necessitated some small tweaks to certain tables for grip, weight, and maybe size. Threw on a sway bar and springs and is over selling the differences to keep the car relevant and justify the price increase.

The most exciting difference to me is the better radio.

True, everything they(Car&Driver)-not I- listed is within realm of the better New for '19 Sport Cup 2 tires perhaps....
I just took your statement as a dismissal of the legitimacy of the significant improvement FP has made to the '19.
As you know, slapping on better rubber helped as a starting pt. But it is the handling, chassis, braking changes made to take full benefit of grippy tires that was necessary to complete the desired effect.
EPAS,ABS, Springs, Rear Sway, Magneride tuning, ........several aspects tweaked. Just interesting to see 1st comparo test done of the '19 against its predecessor and the R model I thought. Cheers!

IronSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I would be interested to the see comparison but I suspect it will never be done. The skeptic in me says Ford changed the tires that necessitated some small tweaks to certain tables for grip, weight, and maybe size. Threw on a sway bar and springs and is over selling the differences to keep the car relevant and justify the price increase.

The most exciting difference to me is the better radio.
I drove a 17 and now own a 19. My butt dyno says the 19 is sharper, quicker, though I realize that can be subjective, and less so for pre 19 owners. I’ll be in the same boat once they revamp this thing again.

One major change I don’t see listed is the clutch/springs. Major difference there that truly affects DD performance, if that’s what you’re using it for (non-R’s).

I’ll be getting my 19 dynod this week or next (prob next, due to my schedule), and we’ll have another quantitative data point. But, a good question is do we dyno in 4th or 5th. Seems MT dyno’d theirs in 4th?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think if Ford had changed something in the Voodoo to make more power - they would be letting EVERYBODY know. It would definitely improve sales.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
One thing I just thought about now, aren't the '19+ heads the same flow rates as the GT500? The guys who have ported their 16 - 18 stock heads have seen some very real power gains. @honeybadger 's 545 RWHP dyno pull didn't come from a throttle body spacer......
For sure. I wouldn't do just the heads on their own....but definitely worth the work if you're doing other upgrades at the same time. Important to keep in mind I made ~540 to the wheels with a VERY mild tune that sees no more than 28* of timing and runs on E85 with a rich mixture. Add the CJ intake and an aggressive cams and I'd bet you'd be knocking on 575-600 whp easily.

IIRC @honeybadger's heads didn't get ported, just rebuilt with more robust parts to handle the sustained high RPM. Same thing with the bottom end. His 545 RWHP was with a cat-less non-factory exhaust and a non-factory tune running E85. It doesn't surprise me that it compares favorably to the car in the dyno test reported by the OP, which was a stock 2019.
They were ported. And it was on a Mustang dyno :)

Him and I have talked about this. They were ported and cleaned by RGR. :sunglasses:
Yep!

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
Ironsooner: Dyno on a GT350 should be in 5th gear (1:1). You are correct, MT did theirs in 4th for some reason.....
Sponsored