Sponsored

Where Does Bullitt Get It's Extra 20 HP From?

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Just recently Hot Rod magazine did an intake test on a gen 2 coyote engine and the 18+ intake actually made a few more hp than the GT350 intake. All the gains come from the larger throttle body and tune that the bullitt has. Since for hasn't officially released the power packs and tunes for the 18+ your on your own for a tune. My advice go with an 85 or 90 mm TB and adapter plate, they use the same square bolt pattern as the stock 80 mm where as the 87 from the gt350 uses a slightly rectangular pattern and thus has to rotate the tb 15 degrees counter clockwise so the bolt holes don't interfere. The down side is it also interferes with the ford branded catch can on the passenger side so you can't use one. But if you use a GT350 intake then it doesn't rotate the tb but that intake is over 1K for just the manifold. A waste of money for what amounts to no gain on an 18+
Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
[QUOTE="Schwerin, post: 2641336, member: 33693"The Bullitt only makes a few more HP more than the GT on average. No matter what generation BULLITT you are talking about its more of a drivers race between the two. 20hp is really not a big difference when we are already talking about 460 vs 480.[/QUOTE]

BINGO!

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Anyone who looks for a bit knows where. The GT350 intake manifold and a modified tune provides a real 20HP (and no torque) addition at the top end of the engine at full power output, and nowhere else. On a Bullitt, the Coyote continues to pull past 7000 rpm at the top end where the GT engine runs out of air and starts to fall off.
This is true with the gen 2 Coyote but the gen 3 Coyote in the GT pulls all the way to 7,500rpms?

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just recently Hot Rod magazine did an intake test on a gen 2 coyote engine and the 18+ intake actually made a few more hp than the GT350 intake. All the gains come from the larger throttle body and tune that the bullitt has.
This is the answer. All the gains from the Bullitt come from the larger TB and tune. With power output from the GT350 and 18+ GT manifold, you’ll make a hair more power in the powerband with the 18+ GT manifold while the GT350 holds its power for about 200 more rpms in the top-end giving you a wash.

Last edited:

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
[...]
although I like McQueen the actor from what I hear McQueen the person was pretty much a jackass...
I had a couple-three formal and informal contacts with Steve McQueen during my career as a race organization member. I found him to be thoughtful, friendly, and low-key. I was impressed when he introduced 9- or 10-year-old Chad McQueen as "Chad McQueen", rather than "My son...". I was also impressed when a few weeks later he addressed me by name: "Hey, Frank. How are things in San Diego?"

48620911638_fd96542b21_o.jpg

Sponsored

draph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6MT PP1
I've been reading enthusiast threads about intake modifications since the 1990s; and, IMHO not much has changed. You can get more power at the higher end of the rpm range with freer breathing intake, but in many cases you get a trade-off of less power at the lower end of the rpm range. I wouldn't be surprised to see this also being the case with the Bullitt...Has anyone published back to back dyno sheets to see if low end is weaker on the Bullitt? Total power (area under the curve) vs. peak hp and torque is what interests me...of course, a 10AT can take better advantage of a peakier engine than a transmission with far fewer ratios by keeping the engine in that narrower, peakier power band...and not caring about mpg's on the track might be fine for the folks who care about the peak numbers; but I prefer tractability on the street at rpms closer to cruising mode in my DD Mustang GT. My current Mustang GT reminds me a lot of how my 1995 Prelude VTEC drove...everything is just multiplied by a factor of about 2.4 - it really doesn't get very fun until above 4000 rpm. ...and there's still an argument for bigger displacement with pushrod driven intake valves, if flat torque curves are what float your boat in a non-turbo'd car.

Shibaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. BAD GRN
Anyone who looks for a bit knows where. The GT350 intake manifold and a modified tune provides a real 20HP (and no torque) addition at the top end of the engine at full power output, and nowhere else. On a Bullitt, the Coyote continues to pull past 7000 rpm at the top end where the GT engine runs out of air and starts to fall off.

There are really an extra 20 HP in the engine. You'll only see them if you're somewhere above 140 mph. Tracks and places in the US where you can legally see that kind of speed are far and few between.
In 2nd and 3rd gear you can use the extra rpm and hp. The bullitt motor pulls strong to redline.
I sold my 15 gt to buy the bullitt. The 435 hp motor had a redline of 7000...but was done at 6500. It had shorter gears to make it quick.
The motor in the bullitt loves the revs. Begs to be driven at high rpm.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Not going anywhere cupcake.

Again, post #2 is pretty accurate. Even a Bullitt owner on thread agrees. Lol.
I know math is hard for some people, so I'll make it simple for you:

Assuming 15% driveline power loss for all models of Mustang (generally accepted, but probably a bit high):

.85 X 460 = 391 HP for stock GT
.85 X 480 = 408 HP for Bullitt

408 - 391 = 17 HP

Your claim "... On a dyno between the two there may be at best 3-5 hp wheel difference if any. ;)."

One of three things is possible:

1) Bullitts somehow suffer a driveline loss greater than std. GTs
2) Ford is lying about the numbers (possible, but I doubt it)
3) You pulled your numbers out of your tailpipe

For the quarter mile and trap times--of no interest to me, actually--were the regular GTs manuals? It's well-known the AT is quicker (I don't care, I like shifting). If you have dyno graphs backing up your claim, I would like to see them and, if they prove your numbers I will apologize to you on this forum.

I would have preferred 20 more lb-ft lower in the curve over the HP, as I really don't have use for more high end.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Cars don’t have to be sold with a horsepower rating. It’s optional.

But a car must make at least its rated horsepower if advertised.

So the GT makes 480 and the Bullitt makes 490.

Shibaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. BAD GRN
In 2nd and 3rd gear you can use the extra rpm and hp. The bullitt motor pulls strong to redline.
I sold my 15 gt to buy the bullitt. The 435 hp motor had a redline of 7000...but was done at 6500. It had shorter gears to make it quick.
The motor in the bullitt loves the revs. Begs to be driven at high rpm.
I know math is hard for some people, so I'll make it simple for you:

Assuming 15% driveline power loss for all models of Mustang (generally accepted, but probably a bit high):

.85 X 460 = 391 HP for stock GT
.85 X 480 = 408 HP for Bullitt

408 - 391 = 17 HP

Your claim "... On a dyno between the two there may be at best 3-5 hp wheel difference if any. ;)."

One of three things is possible:

1) Bullitts somehow suffer a driveline loss greater than std. GTs
2) Ford is lying about the numbers (possible, but I doubt it)
3) You pulled your numbers out of your tailpipe

For the quarter mile and trap times--of no interest to me, actually--were the regular GTs manuals? It's well-known the AT is quicker (I don't care, I like shifting). If you have dyno graphs backing up your claim, I would like to see them and, if they prove your numbers I will apologize to you on this forum.

I would have preferred 20 more lb-ft lower in the curve over the HP, as I really don't have use for more high end.
The bullitt is not a 1/4 mi car. Cant compete with an auto. All said...i would have prefered the short gears of my 15 gt.
But with the magnaride suspension. Damn fast on the curves...my 15 gt with the pp would be slow

Sponsored

Shibaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. BAD GRN

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Ford sells the gt at 460hp...the bullitt at 480hp. That is what ford says.
I understand that. I was answer the question of “ Where does the Bullitt get its extra 20hp from?” .

The answer is it doesn’t. It already has it and Ford changed the 6 to an 8 in the sales book.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
This is true with the gen 2 Coyote but the gen 3 Coyote in the GT pulls all the way to 7,500rpms?
The Gen3 Coyote pulls to 7500 in the lower gears. It can't do it in the higher gears, and is airflow limited as it approaches 460 HP. The Bullitt has a larger intake and can go for just a bit longer.
Sponsored