Go E85 from stock+exhaust and Ngauge?

damondewaynehuff84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package
So I have a 17 GT PP it's all stock besides the catless longtubes and exhaust and the Lund Racing Ngauge I'm ordering next week. They just opened a new Thortons/Truck Stop less than 3 miles from my house and they have E85. Only other places to get it around me are a 10-20 minute drive so I wasn't really intrigued by it before. Now that its 2 minutes away I'm really thinking about going E85 when I order my Ngauge next week. So I have a few questions about it.
1. What all do I need to change to E85?
2. Is it really worth it to switch to E85?
3. After I switch can I still run 93 if E85 isn't available?
4. Should I get a E85 tune and a 93 tune?

I know some of these questions are repetitive and asked multiple times in here but I'm short on time and need the best advice possible. I'm new to this E85 stuff and know absolutely nothing about it!! So all advice, comments, and help are appreciated!
Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
So I have a 17 GT PP it's all stock besides the catless longtubes and exhaust and the Lund Racing Ngauge I'm ordering next week. They just opened a new Thortons/Truck Stop less than 3 miles from my house and they have E85. Only other places to get it around me are a 10-20 minute drive so I wasn't really intrigued by it before. Now that its 2 minutes away I'm really thinking about going E85 when I order my Ngauge next week. So I have a few questions about it.
1. What all do I need to change to E85? Probably a flex fuel and/or E85 tune from Lund and 47lb. injectors. See LU47. Although ask Lund, you may not need the injectors, but it'd be good to have IMO.
2. Is it really worth it to switch to E85? Yep.
3. After I switch can I still run 93 if E85 isn't available? Yes, if you run the flex fuel tune you can run either or any mix of the two, or switch back to the 93 tune after you've drained the tank of E85 it's probably ok.
4. Should I get a E85 tune and a 93 tune? Yes, I would.

I know some of these questions are repetitive and asked multiple times in here but I'm short on time and need the best advice possible. I'm new to this E85 stuff and know absolutely nothing about it!! So all advice, comments, and help are appreciated!
See answers above.

OP
OP
damondewaynehuff84

damondewaynehuff84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
So I can get a flex fuel or E85 tune? I thought that was pretty much the same thing. Lol shows exactly how much I don't know about the world of E85! Thanks for the advice!

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
So I can get a flex fuel or E85 tune? I thought that was pretty much the same thing. Lol shows exactly how much I don't know about the world of E85! Thanks for the advice!
Yes, you can get both and use either one. The difference is the E85 tune is more dialed in and will advance timing MUCH quicker. You will notice a difference especially down low. With the flex fuel tune - it is more for convenience and being able to switch between 93 or E85 more easily or mix the two. On pure 85% ethanol, you will probably see the same peak hp with either the FF or E85 tune, but its how it gets there that is different. The E85 tune will feel stronger. The term - bonkers - comes to mind. It will make your 93 octane tune feel slow when you go back.

What I think is nice about the FF tune is - you get the benefit of using the higher octane of the ethanol. So even though it won't be as good as an E85 tune, you still get the anti-engine knock properties that the ethanol provides.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The lund flex tune is sweet for NA cars. You can race on e85. And still do a road trip without trying to find a station that has e85. Just fill up with 93 and your golden.

Sponsored

OP
OP
damondewaynehuff84

damondewaynehuff84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
The lund flex tune is sweet for NA cars. You can race on e85. And still do a road trip without trying to find a station that has e85. Just fill up with 93 and your golden.
I think I'm gonna go with the Lund Ngauge with FF and E85R tune so I can run FF tune unless I'm racing then I can switch to the E85R tune for that extra low end

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
When I lived out in the mid west the highest I could get was 91. Will the flex tune still work?

lb18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
When I lived out in the mid west the highest I could get was 91. Will the flex tune still work?
I’m interested in this feedback as well. I can only get 91 where I live.

RenegadeRedneck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
The flex tune will work on 91. When you order a flex from Lund they will send you a 91/93 base tune to make sure your stft's are good. You data log that, if all is well they send you a flex and E85r tune.

My flex and E85r tunes made basically identical numbers(1whp and 1wtq). Where the e85 tune excelled, was as mentioned before, in the lower rpms. It also carried more whp out to redline from peak whp.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
Good thread. I'm thinking about making the switch. They have a RaceTrack gas station close that has E85.

Also from what Alex said from Lund. You don't need injectors for the 15-17s.

Sponsored
OP
OP
damondewaynehuff84

damondewaynehuff84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
Good thread. I'm thinking about making the switch. They have a RaceTrack gas station close that has E85.

Also from what Alex said from Lund. You don't need injectors for the 15-17s.
Yeah I've talked to quit a few people that have said 15-17 dont need injectors to go E85. My big reason for it is I was planning on getting my FF and E85R tune setup with the 18 Mani and most likely the LU47 injectors because within a month or so I will have the intake and injectors probably. Let's face it we all know that we cant keep parts sitting around without installing them to try them out. I know for sure I'm gonna have to get another throttle body also because mine has a very loud metallic click coming from it about every 4 seconds or so while running. I've just recently started feeling the downfall of that issue while cruising at 70-80mph until I'm cruising I don't really feel anything wrong. I might take it to Ford for warranty replacement before I do to much work to it though. My though process is why put another stock throttle body on when the first one didn't last 35k miles without issues. You know what they say, Go big or go home!

I haven't really looked into throttle bodies to much yet but I'm sure there are plenty aftermarket to look at. As for the intake I'm not sure if I'm gonna go with the 18, Gt350, or the Cobra Jet for now. I've read good and bad about all 3. I do know when the car gets paid off its gonna get a whipple 3.0 most likely so might go with the cheaper intake for now.

OP
OP
damondewaynehuff84

damondewaynehuff84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
The flex tune will work on 91. When you order a flex from Lund they will send you a 91/93 base tune to make sure your stft's are good. You data log that, if all is well they send you a flex and E85r tune.

My flex and E85r tunes made basically identical numbers(1whp and 1wtq). Where the e85 tune excelled, was as mentioned before, in the lower rpms. It also carried more whp out to redline from peak whp.
So when I order from Lund I will get a 91/93 tune at first then they will send me a FF and a E85R tune also? I thought I was gonna have to pay 200 each for the 93, FF, and E85R tune... that changes everything if I will get all 3 tunes for the 200 on top of the 570 something. I have been rolling over a CAI also. Not sure the extra HP you mick up with a good one or if they a more trouble fitting them that they are worth. Still gotta lot of research to do this week. Thanks for the help! Any more advice feel free to send me a PM

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t see the big deal about switching between E85 and 93, especially with Ngauge. Just run the car to empty and flash the appropriate tune while filling the tank. It takes 5-6 minutes to flash tunes.

If you know you are taking a road trip, do the switch back to 93, before you go. Then switch back to E85 when you get back home.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
So when I order from Lund I will get a 91/93 tune at first then they will send me a FF and a E85R tune also? I thought I was gonna have to pay 200 each for the 93, FF, and E85R tune... that changes everything if I will get all 3 tunes for the 200 on top of the 570 something. I have been rolling over a CAI also. Not sure the extra HP you mick up with a good one or if they a more trouble fitting them that they are worth. Still gotta lot of research to do this week. Thanks for the help! Any more advice feel free to send me a PM
It should just be another “tune” file loaded on the Ngauge. It should be labeled clearly in the file name like 93 or E85. Not sure about Lund but with PBD, you get the 93 tune with the purchase of the NGauge. Then you pay another $100 for another fuel tune. This could be E85 or race gas.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
Yeah I've talked to quit a few people that have said 15-17 dont need injectors to go E85. My big reason for it is I was planning on getting my FF and E85R tune setup with the 18 Mani and most likely the LU47 injectors because within a month or so I will have the intake and injectors probably. Let's face it we all know that we cant keep parts sitting around without installing them to try them out. I know for sure I'm gonna have to get another throttle body also because mine has a very loud metallic click coming from it about every 4 seconds or so while running. I've just recently started feeling the downfall of that issue while cruising at 70-80mph until I'm cruising I don't really feel anything wrong. I might take it to Ford for warranty replacement before I do to much work to it though. My though process is why put another stock throttle body on when the first one didn't last 35k miles without issues. You know what they say, Go big or go home!

I haven't really looked into throttle bodies to much yet but I'm sure there are plenty aftermarket to look at. As for the intake I'm not sure if I'm gonna go with the 18, Gt350, or the Cobra Jet for now. I've read good and bad about all 3. I do know when the car gets paid off its gonna get a whipple 3.0 most likely so might go with the cheaper intake for now.
LU47 wouldn't be a bad idea with what your plans are. They are kinda cheap.

Is that issue with throttle body commone. I've never heard of that problem before, is the clicking the TB blade moving or something.
Sponsored