Ford buy back attempt 2018 Mustang GT “typewriter tick/rattle.”

Cruzin50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
My 2014 Coyote ticked and I'm sure my 2019 GT is gonna tick. Has 1100 miles so far.

I am not worried one bit. This is a very noisy engine. Again we have a powertrain warranty for a reason. Yes it is annoying because I want to modify the car. But I'll just enjoy what I have now.

I'm used to noisy engines. I owned a 2011 Mazdaspeed3. That car was direct injected with a high pressure fuel pump. That engine clapped like a stripper twerking at a strip club. Some engines are just super noisy and the coyote is one of them.
Sponsored

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
Oil cavitation...damn it!!

qbnlynx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ralph
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp2
I'm going to drive the f out of this ticking time bomb until it explodes and when it does I'll build it better and faster. Rinse and repeat.

Grantm3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grant
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I understand all of your guys concerns to these ticking noises. Coming from a 2017 WRX and 2012 VW GLI both being DI motors. The hpfp is loud on each making ticking noises along with the noisy DI injectors. It’s pretty normal....

Sponsored

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Im not buying the DI as being the culprit for the tick. Its something else. Why do the gen 1 and 2 also tick if that is the case?

lew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lew
Vehicle(s)
19 GT, 23 STX 4wd. TT, 19 BMW X4 M40i, 15 800r
over 11k mi. on a "19" 5.0. in 4 1/2 mos. no ticks runs like a striped ass ape. Sorry guys but I think some of you have internet induced problems. JMO

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
over 11k mi. on a "19" 5.0. in 4 1/2 mos. no ticks runs like a striped ass ape. Sorry guys but I think some of you have internet induced problems. JMO
I mean, the tick is real. IDK what to tell you.

Not all have it, or notice it. Either way I'm driving it like it doesn't matter. Its annoying with the windows down, but she runs good, and sounds great otherwise. Still love my car. And only hear it while putting along. Mash the throttle and you cant hear the tick anyways. :D

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Have any of you ever owned a Honda? Those Things make more funky strange metallic breaking sounds then any other car and still run for 300k miles. I wouldn't worry about a tick :) I got that active exhaust if I hear something I don't like i just put it in track mode and push the gas. problem solved.

Sponsored

lew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lew
Vehicle(s)
19 GT, 23 STX 4wd. TT, 19 BMW X4 M40i, 15 800r
yes Briebee, I had a 97 Accord bought it with low mileage. It had a low deep knock from the get go. Gave it to my daughter about 10 years ago. when she traded it in had over 250k but was about dead.

on topic. I hear what sounds like valve train singing, perhaps timing chain related when the engine is not under load, like when easing off the throttle after running a gear up and hesitating to upshift. To me this is normal and due to a long timing chain, high compression engine with no load, low octane anti knock functions.

Oil additives... We used to add a pint or two of STP to quiet down a worn engine before trading it in. Helped hydraulic lifters and tappet fulcrums some.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
yes Briebee, I had a 97 Accord bought it with low mileage. It had a low deep knock from the get go. Gave it to my daughter about 10 years ago. when she traded it in had over 250k but was about dead.

on topic. I hear what sounds like valve train singing, perhaps timing chain related when the engine is not under load, like when easing off the throttle after running a gear up and hesitating to upshift. To me this is normal and due to a long timing chain, high compression engine with no load, low octane anti knock functions.

Oil additives... We used to add a pint or two of STP to quiet down a worn engine before trading it in. Helped hydraulic lifters and tappet fulcrums some.
Hey i hear that singing sound. Its real low. Sorta like the gizmo gremlin from that 80s movie. Like a low whistle hum singing a song.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
^^^ Along with a number of engines being replaced, I truly feel bad for those that got whole new long blocks, only to have the same ticking and rattling as before. Losing value on your vehicle over this noise is something that would bother me a lot more than the ticking itself.

I also have the tick, and took it in a couple times to have them listen to it and even drive it a couple days to see if they could figure it out. I'm sure they thrashed it a bit too, but no worries, since I drive it hard on occasion as well. My local Roush dealer told me flat out, they have theories, but no exact cause of the tick. They didn't want to replace my engine unless they know exactly how to fix the problem. I'm glad I listened, and didn't push for a new long block, because most of these new engines tick just the same.
I had my longblock replaced. New one ticks and rattles but considering the issue was a bad camshaft, I'm not complaining. The old engine had weird power issues, and would occasionally idle like I had one of Ford's old letter cams installed (were it a pushrod).

This goes into what has been said, though. I had a fluke. Yes, my new engine makes ALL the aforementioned sounds, including that less prevalent chain tensioner chirp. But it doesn't burn oil (any perceivable amount, based on frequent dipstick checks with pictures taken), and feels stupidly fast compared to my old. It's obviously a bias, but this new engine (sounds aside) feels like it's at the upper end of performance that come out of the factory. So all the ticking and rattling mean absolutely nothing to me.

That video posted sounds terrible, btw. That sound can't even be mistaken for the tick or rattle, IMO.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Im not buying the DI as being the culprit for the tick. Its something else. Why do the gen 1 and 2 also tick if that is the case?

Because the bbq tick isn't what is being associated with the DI pump. I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt, because statements like yours irritate me, but that's the kind of misinformation that really confuses people (and perhaps you, spread from another). The 2k rpm rattle is being associated with the DI pump, which only the 18+ MY has. The bbq tick is what has been around since the gen 1 coyote. THAT sound is thought to be many things from out of spec crankshaft bearings to oil cavitation. Don't mix the two up, please.
Sponsored