Sponsored

Trunk Pull Down Strap

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I installed a strap inside and removed one of he trunk support shocks. One shock will hold it open but be careful closing it, it really shuts easy
Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Seriously, you cannot close your trunk without gloves. Seems just a little bit obsessive.

By the way, I just ordered a pair. :like::rockon::cwl:
Just be sure you give it the "white" glove treatment! This way, it matches your car.

CVCashmere

OP
OP
Hidalgo

Hidalgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible, Premium, Magnetic, Int. Midnight Blue, 401A Pkge, 10Sp. AT, Smart & Safe Pkge, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Shaker Pro, 20" Alum wheels; 2015 BMW M235i, Vert, Twin Turbo, JB4; BMW 2017 X5, M Sports Pkge
JetNoise,
Can you give us more info on this TSP please.

Ford has a repair tsb for that & should perform free of charge
Just find a dealership with a body shop & or at least get it documented on your next dealer visit
Jetnoise, Yesterday at 5:39 PM

↑
Indeed. My deck lid is scratched to shit after only 6 weeks and 4,500 miles of ownership. At this point I'm treating it like a disposable item that I will eventually replace and have clear-bra applied to the next one. Given that, I still don't think a thumb on the deck lid to close it will cause any noticeable scratching as long as you don't have concrete hands. ;)
Ford has a repair tsb for that & should perform free of charge
Just find a dealership with a body shop & or at least get it documented on your next dealer visit

OP
OP
Hidalgo

Hidalgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible, Premium, Magnetic, Int. Midnight Blue, 401A Pkge, 10Sp. AT, Smart & Safe Pkge, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Shaker Pro, 20" Alum wheels; 2015 BMW M235i, Vert, Twin Turbo, JB4; BMW 2017 X5, M Sports Pkge
What did you use, and how did you attach the cool keychain?
Thanks, Dave

Sponsored

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
I put a carbon fiber decklid on for this very purpose. The better styling was just an added benefit. I haaaate piano black panels on cars. Finger prints, swirls, and how much of a pain it is to keep clean, NOPE.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Indeed. My deck lid is scratched to shit after only 6 weeks and 4,500 miles of ownership. At this point I'm treating it like a disposable item that I will eventually replace and have clear-bra applied to the next one. Given that, I still don't think a thumb on the deck lid to close it will cause any noticeable scratching as long as you don't have concrete hands. ;)

Here’s the TSB thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...550-scratches-on-black-trunklid-panel.112229/

Here’s how to easily repair the rear decklid if you don’t want it at a dealer (and basically the Dealer would be doing the same:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/trunk-lid-appliqué-scratch-repair-diy.122441/

OP
OP
Hidalgo

Hidalgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
So, for those of you who have installed "The Strap". Can you confirm that you do not have enough leverage with the strap alone to close the trunk lid.
That you Still need to use your hand someplace on the trunk lid to complete the close?
If so, why bother with the strap at all?

Thanks for you updates to this novice.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
I know it sounds odd but I actually use my wrist and just push down on my spoiler to close my trunk.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So, for those of you who have installed "The Strap". Can you confirm that you do not have enough leverage with the strap alone to close the trunk lid.
That you Still need to use your hand someplace on the trunk lid to complete the close?
If so, why bother with the strap at all?

Thanks for you updates to this novice.
I installed a strap a couple of years ago and haven’t had to touch the deck or trunk since then. Probably open/close the trunk at least once a week as it’s my DD and grocery getter. Just use a quick motion and pull hand out just before it closes and breaks bones.

Sponsored

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
I installed a strap a couple of years ago and haven’t had to touch the deck or trunk since then. Probably open/close the trunk at least once a week as it’s my DD and grocery getter. Just use a quick motion and pull hand out just before it closes and breaks bones.
same as above for me and my wife, I removed a strut and didnt like that so reinstalled the strut. Wife has no problem using the strap. Neither one of us has ever got hand or wrist whacked, but we pay attention when using the strap. Here is what I wrote up a year ago.... thanks to all for this idea. I bought the plastic clip today (shown in a pic above) at Autozone, its called a GM body retainer, came in a 2 pack, part number C-50, 461030AA. About 4 bux for 2 of them. Used a 1" nylon strap I had at home. Cut it short enough to easily grab the loop, but the loop is not long enough to get pinched between the trunk and the rubber trunk seal. Great mod.

Coyote15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Abe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I hate seeing those finger prints on the decklid. I've learned to just close it by touching the GT badge. Trickier but it doesn't show anything.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I use the pull down strap sold by spacecityspy on here, not sure if they're still available.

I installed the pull down strap on the right side of the trunk. I removed the gas strut on the left.

The single strut holds the trunk open just fine and when I want to close it i pull on the strap and just place a finger or 2 under the underside of the rear trunk lip. Just quickly remove your finger out when the trunk is a few inches from being closed and it shuts itself without touching the black panel or any of the exterior paint.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
In Europe we have hockey puck GT badge. I press on it while closing trunk. It isn't glossy like rest of the plastic so you don't leave marks on it while touching it.
that is what I do, my 50th anniversary has that and I just close with it, no scratches. Now if I could get my wife to stop closing with the shiny black part all would be good...
Sponsored