Why the GT350/GT500 don't have the new Mustang face lift

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT PP Old : 2017 Base GT PP 2015 EB Premium PP @ismgt
When I first test drove the s550, i was very surprised by the hood. It took me a while to get used to knowing how long it is. I often had 3-4 feet of space between the curb when I parked in a spot because I misjudged how long it was lol

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
As have been mentioned, there was a functional reason for not changing the headlights out. Likely more to cost than anything. Plus i think since it's no longer the same as a standard mustang, it looks "different" than the others on the lot (ie a selling point, "it's different than the regular")

Overall i like the 15 front end better, but it really is a back and forth. I like the side of the headlights near the front on the 18+ and how there's a bigger line there, but the side that wraps around the fender i like better on the 15-17. As mentioned above, the two peaks in the hood of the 15-17 are IMO better looking, especially from the driver seat. As for the rear end. I like the straight tri bar tail lights on the 15-17. From pictures i thought i liked the 18+ better, but in person i like the 15-17 better. The lower rear end is better on the 18+, and the quad exhaust looks way better.

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
As an 18 owner, my opinion is that there is something about the 15-17 front end that is more cohesive and subtle. It just seems to flow well, side to side and top to bottom. The biggest complaint I have with my18 is the fish mouth upper grill that just seems to scream disproportionate dimensions compared to the rest of the front cover. But I like them both. :) As someone who came from a Camaro and who drove a 16 GT before getting my 18, I do appreciate the slightly lower hood sight line of the 18.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It's hard to believe, but apparently different people have different tastes. Must explain why no everyone likes the same foods.

I thought the '18 looked bad in the original leaked video, but the more I saw it in person, the more I liked it. And recently, it seems like I like it more. Maybe it's just me placating myself, but I've actually been a little surprised by how much I like the look of my car when I walk up to it now, given the slow start. It just looks mean to me.

Sponsored

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
I'm the opposite. The hood peaks from the driver's seat is one of the unique things I love. Most cars have boring, flat hoods. Also the hood character lines on the 18 are like "okay here we go up the hood... ohhh crap I gotta go over there to match the carryover character line by the door, crap". The 18 front looks like plastic surgery on a beautiful woman. The lines on the 15-17 have theme and harmony together and you can tell it's a single cohesive design rather than a plastered-on refresh.

Sorry did I let all that out?
That's your opinion. The car in my avatar looks better than the s550 in my opinion.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I'm the opposite. The hood peaks from the driver's seat is one of the unique things I love. Most cars have boring, flat hoods. Also the hood character lines on the 18 are like "okay here we go up the hood... ohhh crap I gotta go over there to match the carryover character line by the door, crap". The 18 front looks like plastic surgery on a beautiful woman. The lines on the 15-17 have theme and harmony together and you can tell it's a single cohesive design rather than a plastered-on refresh.

Sorry did I let all that out?
right. the hood is very nicely designed and deserves to be seen. a lot of my passengers make positive remarks on the hood specifically.

with that being sad, I also like lower gt350 hood.

but not 18+.... i guess headlights make difference. if they made them bigger it'd be better.

go figure......

jcl78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium / PP1 / MT-82
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, different tastes, it all comes down to opinions. I am in the 15-17 camp with every detail save for the quad exhaust valance on the 18+. My friend is a 2011 - 2014 S197 guy, and thinks the S550 is too Euro looking, and another friend thinks the 6th gen Camaro looks way better than the S550. There is no "right answer", just preferences. I am glad people love their ride! I think the GT350 looks amazing and aggressive.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Should I be that one Shelby guy and say you're all worthless plebs and GT350/GT500 front end is all that matters?

:like:

15 - 17 for me but yes, the cowel is surprisingly obstructive.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I am a big fan of previous generation mustang exterior.

Interior is way better in 15+.

15+ also drive way better.

18+ front end.... actually looks better to me with dark body colors that do not emphasize smaller headlights.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jcl78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium / PP1 / MT-82
Vehicle Showcase

imyopusha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prermium A10, PP1, Magneride, 401A, B&O
Anyone else think the '18+ Roushes look the best?
2019-roush-stage-3-mustang_feat-768x479-c.jpg

Reactions: Zay

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else think the '18+ Roushes look the best?
They’re solid front bumpers, its the fake vents I can’t take.

The 18s would look good, if it wasn’t for the dive planes. The 15s get the nod for bumper. The hoods are a small problem from time to time tho. My 16 has reverse rake ... because I’m sending it.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
The new front is much nicer than the prior. Pics don’t do it justice. It really is more aggressive and the hood is much much nicer. The old one just looks too fusion like and very unaggressive.