Sponsored

DIY fixing paint damage on the door, beginning to finish

Rumble GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT prem - Orange Fury with black racing stripes
Yesterday I parked the car in a Home Depot parking lot for 30 mins, and when I got home I found this on the passenger door:

upload_2019-8-19_13-17-39.png

Now I'm the kinda guy who'd rather park his car far far away from the crowed and walk little bit to the entrance. Yesterday there were quite a lot of empty spaces and my car was parked literally like a lone island in the ocean. How this person ended up parking next to me and made a dent on my door is beyond me.

Anyways shit happens so I'm willing to deal with it. I have purchased and OEM paint touch up pen, some 1500 grit & 3000 grit sandpapers, a polish gun and polish compound, plus some paint thinner. (total under CAD150) This is my first time fixing paint myself. I will post the progress on this thread hopefully get some expertise advises from you guys. Also to help out those of you who's planning on DYI paint repair in the future.

So lets get to business.

First, I deep cleaned the area around the dent, and let it dry. Don't want to create more damage along the way so keep it clean throughout the process.

Then I used 1500 grit wet sandpapers to smooth out the dented areas. It took out the shininess around the dent but I should be able to restore it during the polishing stage. After sanding feel the surface with my finger and make sure it is perfectly flat. Used Q-tips + paint thinner to clean the sanded area and let it dry.

Next, I applied base coat on the dent, let it dry for an hour and apply a second layer of base coat to bring the coloration as close as possible to the original paint. I let the paint set for 2 hours and then apply the first layer of clear coat. Two hours later I applied the second layer of clear coat, not the dent area look like this:
upload_2019-8-19_13-18-41.png

Seems pretty close color wise, the next step will be sanding off the re-colored area to make it flat again before final polishing. Lets see… View attachment 388930 View attachment 388931
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Ugh, the worst kind of dent....the parking lot dent. Looks pretty good. Can't wait to see it at the end.

OP
OP

Rumble GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Three days have passed and now the paint is properly cured. I used 1500 grit sand papers again (dry sanding this time) and smoothed out the uneven edges. Then used a polishing gun with polishing compound to give the area a good 10 mins massage until it is shinny again. Then cleaned the area with soapy water and dried it with micro fiber towel. Here is the outcome:

upload_2019-8-21_17-3-14.png

upload_2019-8-21_16-53-17.png

Not the best work in the world but almost invisible from 5 feet away is a job well done in my book. At least it will help prevent corrosion. The repaired area might appear to have a deeper color for now but hopefully as time goes by it will gradually fade and blend in much better with the rest.

Feel free to weigh in, open to suggestions.

AlphaCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP, 2018 Honda Accord 1.5 Sport
Looks pretty damn good!

Sponsored

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not a painter so when I was looking into paying Cervinni to paint my hood they said they used the OEM (white) primer and paint to insure a match.
Maybe that is part of why the original looks lighter? IDK

OP
OP

Rumble GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not a painter so when I was looking into paying Cervinni to paint my hood they said they used the OEM (white) primer and paint to insure a match.
Maybe that is part of why the original looks lighter? IDK
Damn it you are right lol. I'm not a painter either but you reminded me that decades ago when I painted my Warhammer soldiers they were all primed white before applying the base colors.... It's a car but when it comes to painting it's the same idea, I should've known better.

Next time I will get the primer on first and see how it goes.

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
Your finish looks good - wish I had the confidence to attack a couple of stone chips I have like that. I bought the touch up pen but my hand is frozen in fear of screwing it up-lol
Sponsored