Let's talk about the C8 vs the GT500

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Well that's because it doesn't, I think you mentioned it earlier. It may pull a 1.5 peak, but it's not sustained 1.5, otherwise the 350R would have already done it, as it has the same size tires and 3 hookers worth less weight.
3, very tall, good sized, big boned hookers can’t even fit them in the car lol
C8's can be over $90,000 from a 3LT, Z51 and a few carbon options.
Package pricing has gone ridiculous with all brands now not just corvette. Its funny that all manufacturers commercial their base prices and you start adding tech and luxury features the prices can go up even 50% more of a base price. Then you question yourself, will you rather get a entry level exotic sports car with a higher resale value. One thing i learned with these packages is that when the time comes to get rid off the car you end up losing tremendous amount of money. For $90,000 i would rather own a slightly used last gen Viper GTS.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
One thing i learned with these packages is that when the time comes to get rid off the car you end up losing tremendous amount of money.
That's true but if you don't have any of the packages you lose a lot more money.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Package pricing has gone ridiculous with all brands now not just corvette. Its funny that all manufacturers commercial their base prices and you start adding tech and luxury features the prices can go up even 50% more of a base price. Then you question yourself, will you rather get a entry level exotic sports car with a higher resale value. One thing i learned with these packages is that when the time comes to get rid off the car you end up losing tremendous amount of money. For $90,000 i would rather own a slightly used last gen Viper GTS.
C8 comes with plenty standard though, you're just missing out on some of the comfort (leather everywhere) or greater performance (brakes, tires) things. They're all getting things like the digital dash and infotainment. If they limited choices and made most everything standard, price would probably be closer to 70-75 instead of 60 and that means giving up a decent chunk of potential buyers (those who can't afford it anymore and who don't want all that stuff).

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Again, you fail to answer the question. Pinnacle means there is no where left to go but down. Again, these are your words not mine.

If the Gt350 is faster around the track than the zl1 1le that (by your words) is as the pinnacle of its chassis, and is able to do so without sacrificing comfort, would that not make it a more capable chassis considering it would be faster had it sacrificed comfort?
The choices you offer do not match the question you ask. If the GT350 goes around the track faster than a ZL1, it could be because of any number of factors working in concert. So it could be that the GT350 has better suspension. Or it could be because it has better brakes. Or it could be that it is able to use its hp advantage in a better manner or it could be that the Ford engineers do a better job at integrating all those things. The only way to really answer the question is to drive both cars. And even then, most people wouldn’t be able to define why it does, but recognize that it does. When reviewers drove the SS 1LE, it was pretty obvious to them how remarkable the suspension was and that it provided a significant advantage to the car. But I think all would agree that if the brakes weren’t as dialed in as they are, all that advantage would be given back and even with a better chassis, SS1LE would lose on the track to vehicles with less capable chassis.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Dude... I never said it was the pinnacle of the chassis. I just got done explaining that in a long ass post response to you. For God's sake man.

I just explained that to get to the pinnacle it's all about making sacrifices. That is a general statement that is irrefutable. There are additional sacrifices to be made in both the ZL1 1LE and the GT500 to make them faster.
Weather you meant it or not, your original quote absolutely inferred the ZL1 1LE is at the pinnacle of it's chassis. Go back and read it.

As for your long ass post, I can't say I read it all lol. It was late...and I may have had one or two delicious drinks. I'll have to re-read it.

The GT500 will be more compliant on the street than the ZL1 1LE. It would likely be faster if it wasnt so compliant. Why is this so difficult to understand?
I don't disagree with this. The more I'm thinking about it, the more I think your original post that spurred this discussion is what I have a problem with.

I'm not even sure what you are attempting to argue here. Do you not agree that is possible for the ZL1 1LE to be just as fast as the GT500 on a road course? Could the GT500 not be faster if it cut some unnecessary weight?
No doubt the 1le would. It would chassis and suspension improvements as well as larger more capable (heavier) brakes.

The Camaro and Mustang are pretty similar cars with similar lap times when similarly equipped. In this case the extra power also mean extra weight though.

Isnt this kinda similar to the GT350R and the regular ZL1 having similar times despite the large horsepower advantage of the ZL1? Its heavier. This could end up working out the same way. If you dont understand what I'm saying then I dont know how else to say it.
Very similar. The GT350R is likely going to be nipping on the heels of the base 500 around smaller tracks.

Neither chassis is vastly superior to the other. They are both quality starting points for a road course monster at a good price point.
Again, agreed.

I'm sorry you hate Camaros so much, but they are great performance cars.
I never said I did. I don't buy vehicles based on the logo. And I've said before, the ZL1 is the current best bargain you can buy for the price. That won't change when the GT500 makes its appearance.

Will be interesting to see how much weight the GT500 can cut with the track pack. I hope it would be a lot.
, member: 19144"]

The reduced rotational mass is what is going to matter most with the carbon pack. Its already said to handle like a vehicle much, much lighter.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
The choices you offer do not match the question you ask. If the GT350 goes around the track faster than a ZL1, it could be because of any number of factors working in concert. So it could be that the GT350 has better suspension. Or it could be because it has better brakes. Or it could be that it is able to use its hp advantage in a better manner or it could be that the Ford engineers do a better job at integrating all those things. The only way to really answer the question is to drive both cars. And even then, most people wouldn’t be able to define why it does, but recognize that it does. When reviewers drove the SS 1LE, it was pretty obvious to them how remarkable the suspension was and that it provided a significant advantage to the car. But I think all would agree that if the brakes weren’t as dialed in as they are, all that advantage would be given back and even with a better chassis, SS1LE would lose on the track to vehicles with less capable chassis.
To set things straight, I agree. I disagreed with the posters reference to the term "pinnacle". I was setting up an argument with some "what ifs".

I don't think people understand either that sometimes in order for a car to perform better, it needs to get heaver as a result. Bigger brakes, bigger sway bars. Heavier suspension. Heavier transmission. More cooling. It's a balancing act, pun intended. To reduce weight after those changes costs money...quite often lots of it.

In regards to the SS 1LE, I'm not staying the platform by any means is maxed out. Adding more horsepower however would require other changes (beefier brakes, steering knuckles, chassis stiffening etc.). There are definitely diminishing returns.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
South-Park-I-have-no-idea-whats-going-on-right-now-meme.jpg

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
How much did the GT350 go up in the 2nd year? Also, show me what cars didn’t go up in price each year?
Didn't say they didn't all cars go up each year that's nothing new just wanted to let the c8 crowd know if they want a sub $60k car they need to buy it this year

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
or they could just buy a 2020 next year used for like 50k
I think you forgot the sarcasm tag. The ask for 2017 are still universally well north of 45K. 2018's north of 50. Shelby owners apparently believe they shouldn't be subject to industry depreciation schedules. For the 'R' model, I could concede the point. So no, it would be very unlikely to pick up a 1yr old model for 20% off.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I think you forgot the sarcasm tag. The ask for 2017 are still universally well north of 45K. 2018's north of 50. Shelby owners apparently believe they shouldn't be subject to industry depreciation schedules. For the 'R' model, I could concede the point. So no, it would be very unlikely to pick up a 1yr old model for 20% off.
I was talking about the vette

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Well the C8 is starting low for a reason. It probably will depreciate faster and be lower priced due to its low starting price. If marketing is to be believed.
Sponsored