Sponsored

2020 GT500 Curb Weight and Dimensions Released

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Painted stripes are only for the allocation, in addition to contracted out, hence the price
Sponsored

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
There's more evidence showing the regular ZL1 is faster on the track than the R. Until you can post more R times that show the R is faster, I will go with the fastest laps site. This isnt comparing the track oriented ZL1 1LE either.
https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/eg0l6elagstj
Fastestlaps is inaccurate with false data and won't post lap times that are submitted with proof.
The ZL1 IS faster than the R.
If both cars have sticker tires and are run within minutes of each other on the same day, the GT350R has been over a second faster than the ZL1 on multiple tracks. The GT350R had very old tires on during the MotorTrend comparison to the ZL1 because it was a long term test vehicle that was not intended or prepared to do a timed track comparison with new tires.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I didnt ignore your post, dont you find it funny a regular SS 1LE can post lap times similar to the R? LOL, thats nearly a $30k price difference while the SS is heavier and less power. We dont know what the GT500 will run. I'll get to see first hand how these cars do on the track after a 20 minute session, weather they pass me or I pass them. I'm closer to these cars then you will ever be. Maybe one day you will have the balls to take your mustang to the track.

When it comes to speaking facts with respect to pricing do us all a favor and post some real comparison numbers and not some made up number that just jumps out of your mind from who knows where.

After the GM $1500 cash incentive and depending how optioned out I have seen a number of SS 1LE's at $46,500 to $47,500 which is MSRP pricing.

I have been fortunate to own some Base R models from the 2016 to the 2018 MY and have paid no more than $65,000 for each of these cars. One was even less than $65,000 for that matter.

Using the above best case scenario of $46,500 for the Camaro compared to what I paid for one of my R's that is a difference of $18,500 and not nearly the $30,000 that you speak of. Maybe $11,500 is not much difference to you but it sure is to me and many others on this forum.

Also don't say that others were not able to secure R models at the above pricing either as this is just not the case.

BTW, I was fortunate to test drive some of the first R models at Sebring back in October 2015 therefore I know a bit about how these cars handle and perform on the track and for you to suggest that an SS 1LE will stay with an Electronic Package equipped R model is hilarious let alone if one of the track comparisons ever used the lighter Base R model which ~110 pounds lighter with very few being out there.

Is the SS 1LE a good performance buy for the money, absolutely but the car is still ugly as sin and if it was such a sought after HP car why does Chevrolet and GM continue to discount their HP Camaro's just as they did with the 2014/2015 Z28's?

Because Ford makes a much better overall Pony Car especially from a driving experience standpoint with the sales figures to back that up over many years.

:like::like:

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Fastestlaps is inaccurate with false data and won't post lap times that are submitted with proof.

If both cars have sticker tires and are run within minutes of each other on the same day, the GT350R has been over a second faster than the ZL1 on multiple tracks. The GT350R had very old tires on during the MotorTrend comparison to the ZL1 because it was a long term test vehicle that was not intended or prepared to do a timed track comparison with new tires.
I believe it. Unfortunately, all we have with the same driver/same day comparisons is what motortrend has published.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
PP0001 said:
When it comes to speaking facts with respect to pricing do us all a favor and post some real comparison numbers and not some made up number that just jumps out of your mind from who knows where.

After the GM $1500 cash incentive and depending how optioned out I have seen a number of SS 1LE's at $46,500 to $47,500 which is MSRP pricing.

I have been fortunate to own some Base R models from the 2016 to the 2018 MY and have paid no more than $65,000 for each of these cars. One was even less than $65,000 for that matter.

Using the above best case scenario of $46,500 for the Camaro compared to what I paid for one of my R's that is a difference of $18,500 and not nearly the $30,000 that you speak of. Maybe $11,500 is not much difference to you but it sure is to me and many others on this forum.

Also don't say that others were not able to secure R models at the above pricing either as this is just not the case.

BTW, I was fortunate to test drive some of the first R models at Sebring back in October 2015 therefore I know a bit about how these cars handle and perform on the track and for you to suggest that an SS 1LE will stay with an Electronic Package equipped R model is hilarious let alone if one of the track comparisons ever used the lighter Base R model which ~110 pounds lighter with very few being out there.

Is the SS 1LE a good performance buy for the money, absolutely but the car is still ugly as sin and if it was such a sought after HP car why does Chevrolet and GM continue to discount their HP Camaro's just as they did with the 2014/2015 Z28's?

Because Ford makes a much better overall Pony Car especially from a driving experience standpoint with the sales figures to back that up over many years.
Congrats, i remember several members having to drive out of state to get a GT350 with minimal to no adm. But you bought two R's, one at $65k and the other under the MSRP price? Sounds really unbelievable, can you share what dealer you purchased? My brother is in the dealership software industry and I can verify. ;)

I just built an R on Ford's site and its $68k for a black 2019 R.
Also, I built a SS 1LE in chevys site, its $44.5k

Bill I respect your input, but I find that hard to believe. Both cars on equal tires and the R is faster on track? The regular ZL1 is on pilot super sport tires. If both of these cars are being compared with equal tires (Cup2), i believe the ZL1 will be quicker.

Last edited:

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
And this is why I bought a ZERO optioned 3570lb base GT

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Congrats, i remember several members having to drive out of state to get a GT350 with minimal to no adm. But you bought two R's with no adm and at each $65k? Sounds really unbelievable, can you share what dealer you purchased? My brother is in the dealership software industry and I can verify. ;)

I just built an R on Ford's site and its $68k for a black 2019 R.

Bill I respect your input, but I find that hard to believe. Both cars on equal tires and the R is faster on track? The regular ZL1 is on pilot super sport tires. If both of these cars are being compared with equal tires (Cup2), i believe the ZL1 will be quicker.
Actually I have purchased 3 R's and 1 2015 Track Pack car at MSRP with them all coming from 3 different dealerships.

The 2015 GT350 is still on the MSO therefore never titled.

With respect to my CFTP car that was also purchased at MSRP in Arizona.

:)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was 37.5 OTD 2 months ago but subtracting out sales taxes and 'dealer' fees came out to 35.5k including freight. If you're paying much more, you're not driving much of a bargain. Compared to MSRP for any of the Shelby incarnations, that's one heck of a price delta - for a car that per that graphic a couple posts up that logged the same lap time as the Shelby at Big Willow.

Any lap time comparison not run on new tires, same brand of tire, and within reasonable range of track and air temperature is pointless. At best it's a rough guide, with a confidence interval of +/- 0.5 seconds at least.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
img_8620-jpg.jpg

I found this and thought it was funny, the times above are in your link right? :D
But it isnt always about performance. Id take an R over a regular ZL1.
I was looking at Big Willow times and could not find all of those times, but this is the Big Willow site.

upload_2019-8-19_20-24-28.png

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Its irrelevant what the regular non Z 1LE ran. But pretty embarrassing a heavier lesser powered car equaled the R's times (different day or not). Adding insult to the R, the ZL1 and SS 1LE run the equivalent of pilot super sports in comparison to the Cup2 in the R. :(

100% agree, this is why I posted about the GT500 doing a fast 1-2 laps, the rest of the session I think it will run slower due to weight. We'll see when it comes out.

I've done a track day with a regular ZL1 at laguna seca. The car was consistent (20+ minutes) and did not slow down. He also had a passenger and was dicing it up with a GT350.
As you said, no ZL1's use Michelin. They all use Goodyear F1 Supercar 3 and ZLE uses even stickier 3R's that are like Sport Cup2. SuperCar 3 are better than Michelin for the track.

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
100% agree, this is why I posted about the GT500 doing a fast 1-2 laps, the rest of the session I think it will run slower due to weight. We'll see when it comes out.

I can see any car getting slower in later laps, due to driver fatigue etc, but I don't think it would be because of the weight. It doesn't start weighing more. It would be because of the brakes starting to fade. Maybe a little heat soak, but the coolers in the ZL1 and the coming GT500 should make them both just fine. But on 20 minute sessions the car is burning gas and getting lighter each lap so that would at least help with the weight issue.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Shockingly similar to what I said. Dudes probably just a hater. Anyway....

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
He is again only talking about 1/4 racing. As I have said, people talking about modding a GT to beat cars are doing just that.....modding. Now mod a GT500...lets get some weight off. Now what ? That same GT500 will wreck you. Its all relevant.

Nobody races...really races stock cars. Modding will always be around. It's what the car has already is how you can mod. In the GT500 case, people will mod for weight.
It will be real interesting after thta. Of course the same "well its a XXX $ car!" will come up. But then were back to the same circle of racing.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
And after all of this discussion about weight and track times etc.. how many of you actually track your cars competitively?
Sponsored