Sponsored

Trunk Pull Down Strap

Hidalgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible, Premium, Magnetic, Int. Midnight Blue, 401A Pkge, 10Sp. AT, Smart & Safe Pkge, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Shaker Pro, 20" Alum wheels; 2015 BMW M235i, Vert, Twin Turbo, JB4; BMW 2017 X5, M Sports Pkge
The Trunk is not easy to close without putting your paws on the top corner of the open trunk. Whether it be the top corner of the trunk or your spoiler. In my search, on this forum and Google, I saw a few options. M6G search had a Amazon link that is no longer valid. I found Camaro has the same issue, and found some attach a short nylon loop to the top inside the trunk corner, and it gave them leverage to close it. I saw one guy used a Hyundai SUV Tailgate strap that someone gave him. That seemed to work ok.
https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/genuine/hyundai-handle-assy-tail-gat~81792-2b000-hz.html

So those of your who didn't want to use your hand on the top the trunk and leave prints, What did you come up with that anyone else can also use/ install? Also see "Post 41 & 53" in link below.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/remain-stock.103225/page-3#post-2241003

Thanks, Dave
attachment.jpg
Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0

emdavis197

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 5.0 *Velocity Blue* (The fastest color)
I'd avoid the strap. I shut mine by pushing down on the black deck lid, at the bottom, under the GT badge (or Pony badge, depending on your ride). The trunk takes very little force to lock shut. That area is gloss black but doesn't leave too much of a smudge. Or if it does, It just doesn't bother me it until the next wash. If you're heading to the car show, pack a microfiber and some detail spray. If you are really concerned about the smudge down there, you could put a 1" tab of electrical tape there and close it with your thumb. But then you'd have a 1" tab of electrical tape there. It is behind you so you won't see it while you're driving. ;)

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I had my clear bra installer place a patch under the GT logo, extending to the bottom edge of the panel so that is what I touch when I close my truck.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Seriously, you cannot close your trunk without gloves. Seems just a little bit obsessive.

By the way, I just ordered a pair. :like::rockon::cwl:
Smudges aren't the only reason for a strap. Several owners have dented their trunks with their palms. The metal is very thin/weak. Which is an extra plus for having a spoiler to spread the load for people who shut with pressure on the back edge of the trunk.

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I'd avoid the strap. I shut mine by pushing down on the black deck lid, at the bottom, under the GT badge (or Pony badge, depending on your ride). The trunk takes very little force to lock shut. That area is gloss black but doesn't leave too much of a smudge. Or if it does, It just doesn't bother me it until the next wash. If you're heading to the car show, pack a microfiber and some detail spray. If you are really concerned about the smudge down there, you could put a 1" tab of electrical tape there and close it with your thumb. But then you'd have a 1" tab of electrical tape there. It is behind you so you won't see it while you're driving. ;)
That black deck lid is SOOOOOOOO easy to scratch though.

I made the dealer I bought mine from pay to have a detail shop buff out all the scratches from people opening and closing the trunk while it was on the lot.

emdavis197

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
That black deck lid is SOOOOOOOO easy to scratch though.

I made the dealer I bought mine from pay to have a detail shop buff out all the scratches from people opening and closing the trunk while it was on the lot.
Indeed. My deck lid is scratched to shit after only 6 weeks and 4,500 miles of ownership. At this point I'm treating it like a disposable item that I will eventually replace and have clear-bra applied to the next one. Given that, I still don't think a thumb on the deck lid to close it will cause any noticeable scratching as long as you don't have concrete hands. ;)

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I just reach around to the side of the trunk and use the spoiler to close it. I never touch that damn black plastic.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Indeed. My deck lid is scratched to shit after only 6 weeks and 4,500 miles of ownership. At this point I'm treating it like a disposable item that I will eventually replace and have clear-bra applied to the next one. Given that, I still don't think a thumb on the deck lid to close it will cause any noticeable scratching as long as you don't have concrete hands. ;)
Ford has a repair tsb for that & should perform free of charge
Just find a dealership with a body shop & or at least get it documented on your next dealer visit

Sponsored

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
My hands are clean, I just grab the spoiler and slam. No fuss, no mess.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously, you cannot close your trunk without gloves. Seems just a little bit obsessive.

By the way, I just ordered a pair. :like::rockon::cwl:
Don't forget to use a positive-pressure chamber that's also anechoic.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I replaced the gloss black panel with pre-painted ingot silver from AM. It gets just as dirty, but it doesn't show nearly as much.

48476149611_b6aae8fef2_b.jpg

emdavis197

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
I never touch that damn black plastic.
I also try to avoid making direct eye contact with it, or even calling it by the appropriate name, for fear of new scratches appearing.
Sponsored