Spare tire for 2019 Mustang

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I have the Ford spare and tool kit one I got cheap on Ebay, if I ever upgraded to front PP, I can still use it anyway for the rears and move a rear to the front if front is flat... what is the stock spare tire sizing? I know its an 18x5 wheel, it seems the diameter of the tire is safe 235/50R18 or 255/40R19 square set ups. See Post #3

I think I saw that Ford stated it is not on the PP not just because it does not clear the fronts, but does not pair correctly with the PP summer rear 275/40/19 diameter and would mess with the drive axle. This spare is a short term solution, so no issues if used that way.

I guess I am ok even if I had the PP brembos upgrade since I am running square stock 255/40/19 and placing the factory spare on the rear, so I think for PP, you need the auto anything style spare to match closer for the rear 275/40/19 as well as clear the fronts? but should anyone avoid spares on front of cars anyway due to extra engine weight and steering behavior? No, the spare is designed to be used in back or in front. Again, short term solution only.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Yes, see post #3
I am thinking about getting it anyway. It is my understanding that different diameter tires can hurt the limited slip rear. I would rather switch a front out and put it on the rear if I get a flat then be stranded somewhere with a can of goo and an air pump.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I am thinking about getting it anyway. It is my understanding that different diameter tires can hurt the limited slip rear. I would rather switch a front out and put it on the rear if I get a flat then be stranded somewhere with a can of goo and an air pump.
Totally agree. A spare, any spare, is a lot better than the goo. Just keep one thing in mind...flats do not occur on warm sunny days in your driveway. They always happen at the worst time & places. Ask me how I know. Do you really want to have to change two tires?

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
  1. The AA spare is the alternative many people (including me) with a PP car choose so that it will clear the brakes in front and won't require changing two tires to play the "swap front and rear" game as would be the case with the "normal" Ford spare.
  2. The AA spare just fits into the spare tire well under the trunk floor. If you over-pressure it, it won't fit. Really, it just fits.
  3. Per information on Torsen's (the manufacturer of the differential in the PP cars) website, the differential will tolerate the size difference for any practical amount of time without damage.
https://torsen.com/ask-torsen-using-a-mini-spare-tire/
"Our products have been used in vehicles that have had a mini-spare tire that was as much as a 25% difference in diameter smaller than the main tire. If kept to the operational restrictions (speed and distance), this falls within what the differential can handle. In the case of a tire that’s only about a ¼” difference in size, it is a relative non-issue – for the Torsen differential."​

Last edited:

Sponsored

emdavis197

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 5.0 *Velocity Blue* (The fastest color)
  1. Per information on Torsen's (the manufacturer of the differential in the PP cars), the differential will tolerate the size difference for any practical amount of time without damage.
https://torsen.com/ask-torsen-using-a-mini-spare-tire/
"Our products have been used in vehicles that have had a mini-spare tire that was as much as a 25% difference in diameter smaller than the main tire. If kept to the operational restrictions (speed and distance), this falls within what the differential can handle. In the case of a tire that’s only about a ¼” difference in size, it is a relative non-issue – for the Torsen differential."​
Yes, totally agree with Torsen's POV here. Having a slightly smaller diameter tire on the rear would be akin to driving around an oval track. Any unlocked differential can handle that for days or years. That's why they are called differentials. You will do absolutely no harm to an unlocked diff by having a spare on there for amount of time it takes to get to the tire shop. Even if that is several months from now.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Anyone know why it does not work with the 20 inch wheels? Different diameter possibly?
Yes, see post #3
No. It has nothing at all to do with the diameter of the tire. (or the wheel for that matter) The tire diameter is about the same on all the wheels on the Mustang. Around 27".

Ford claims the reason you couldn't order the spare with the 20's was because the it was an All-Season tire and the 20" wheels came with Summer Only tires.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
No. It has nothing at all to do with the diameter of the tire. (or the wheel for that matter) The tire diameter is about the same on all the wheels on the Mustang. Around 27".

Ford claims the reason you couldn't order the spare with the 20's was because the it was an All-Season tire and the 20" wheels came with Summer Only tires.
My car came with 20 inch Goodyear all seasons.

emdavis197

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Probably the only only item I've ever bought for my toys that I didn't get excited about receiving. In fact, when the FedEx truck pulled up with the big box I forgot I had ordered it. Anyways, this is the ebay spare tire / jack / lug wrench kit. It measured 1.5 inches smaller in diameter than the stock 18" wheel / tire combo. I like the fact that it actually has a flat contact patch vs. a bicycle tire type profile that you often see on other cars. The eBay photo makes it look like it is bronze in color, but it is gloss black. It is all OEM Ford stuff. Fits perfectly in the spare wheel well in the trunk. 14 pounds heavier than the dumb air compressor fix-a-flat gizmo that was in there. Obvious easy take-out if you're racing. Getting stranded far from civilization was my biggest concern. I didn't feel comfortable running through the Western NC and Virginia mountains without a spare. There's not much cell service out there. Pics if anyone is interested:

IMG_9756.jpg

IMG_9757.jpg

IMG_9758.jpg

IMG_9760.jpg

(Under the spare is the OEM jack and lug wrench. It fits snugly and securely with the provided hardware.)

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
My car came with 20 inch Goodyear all seasons.
Ford swapped to the All-Season tires for the 20" wheels on the '18+. From '15-'17 they only offered Summer Only tires.

Sponsored

Kleiss1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6- speed
Probably the only only item I've ever bought for my toys that I didn't get excited about receiving. In fact, when the FedEx truck pulled up with the big box I forgot I had ordered it. Anyways, this is the ebay spare tire / jack / lug wrench kit. It measured 1.5 inches smaller in diameter than the stock 18" wheel / tire combo. I like the fact that it actually has a flat contact patch vs. a bicycle tire type profile that you often see on other cars. The eBay photo makes it look like it is bronze in color, but it is gloss black. It is all OEM Ford stuff. Fits perfectly in the spare wheel well in the trunk. 14 pounds heavier than the dumb air compressor fix-a-flat gizmo that was in there. Obvious easy take-out if you're racing. Getting stranded far from civilization was my biggest concern. I didn't feel comfortable running through the Western NC and Virginia mountains without a spare. There's not much cell service out there. Pics if anyone is interested:

IMG_9756.jpg

IMG_9757.jpg

IMG_9758.jpg

IMG_9760.jpg

(Under the spare is the OEM jack and lug wrench. It fits snugly and securely with the provided hardware.)
How much was that spare kit?

emdavis197

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

IMG_9756.jpg

IMG_9757.jpg

IMG_9758.jpg

IMG_9760.jpg

Same exact kit my wife purchased for me Xmas 2019 and I believe the price was just as low.

1610816973544.jpeg

One thing to mention for anyone who has a spare tire kit - make sure the tire is filled to proper pressure, otherwise it’s jack-shit worthless when you are in need of it... LOL.

Last edited:

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
One thing to mention for anyone who has a spare tire kit - make sure the tire is filled to proper pressure, otherwise it’s jack-shit worthless when you are in need of it... LOL.
The compressor that came with the car fits nicely in the 3" space between the driver's seat and the rear seat. Nothing else is going there anyway. :wink:

757DRVR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Anybody know the proper tire pressure for the mini spare tire? Just purchased the mini that will fit over the Brembo brakes.
Sponsored