Sponsored

Need lug nut advice Extended Studs 2 different wheels

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I just put on 1 in ARP extended lugs to run a dedicated set of track rubber. My daily wheels are SVE PP2, track tires are Apex EC7. I picked up Ford Performace open ended lugs which fit the Apex, but not the SVE. I need the more narrow tuner lugs like the spline socket lugs that came with the SVE wheels. The FP open ened lugs fit fine, but the socket is to thick to install them into the PP2.

Im looking for an open end, black, preferably 2 in lug that will fit both wheels so I dont have to switch back and forth depending on the wheel Im running, just for convenience. I would like the longer lugs because it will cover the extended stud when I'm running the PP2 without the spacer. I would also like to be able to use my impact to zip these on before I torque them to spec. I think some keys are 3/8 in driver opposed to a 1/2 drive. I can use addapters I suppose but really trying to avoid that.

What I think I need is a 14mm 1.5 thread pitch, black, 60 degree conical end acorn style tuner lug(or narrow walled socket lug combo)? Or do I just need a narrow walled socket to use the FP lugs, not sure if that's a thing? Would these work?
https://project6gr.com/product/14x1-5mm-monster-black-wheel-lugs/
Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah those look like similar to the ones I'm using (which are Gorilla brand - search amazon for Gorilla 45048BC-20).

When I switch to the Apex wheels though, I use the full diameter Ford open ended lugs, because why not use the full seating area? Especially when these are the wheels and lugs that get used the hardest.

OP
OP

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah those look like similar to the ones I'm using (which are Gorilla brand - search amazon for Gorilla 45048BC-20).

When I switch to the Apex wheels though, I use the full diameter Ford open ended lugs, because why not use the full seating area? Especially when these are the wheels and lugs that get used the hardest.
I already have the FP lugs laying around so I can certainly use them for track time. Do they really have more seating area than others, Im not at home right now to compare? Im just trying to make it as easy as possible. Instead of having multiple lugs or sockets to carry around, so if I loose a tire at the track I can throw on one of the spares, or need to switch out tires but forgot the socket ect. Petty stuff that can be prevented with preparation, but still harder than a one lug solution.

So those Gorillas you link to use a 3/4 in (19mm) socket which fits in your SVE wheels just fine? Ill have to wait till I get home to test a 19mm socket in the SVE wheel hole. That would be great since I take a socket set/impact/torque wrench to the track anyways, it's all there if I take two different lug sets. Id like to get away from spline sockets, harder to come by in a pinch.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I already have the FP lugs laying around so I can certainly use them for track time. Do they really have more seating area than others, Im not at home right now to compare? Im just trying to make it as easy as possible. Instead of having multiple lugs or sockets to carry around, so if I loose a tire at the track I can throw on one of the spares, or need to switch out tires but forgot the socket ect. Petty stuff that can be prevented with preparation, but still harder than a one lug solution.

So those Gorillas you link to use a 3/4 in (19mm) socket which fits in your SVE wheels just fine? Ill have to wait till I get home to test a 19mm socket in the SVE wheel hole. That would be great since I take a socket set/impact/torque wrench to the track anyways, it's all there if I take two different lug sets. Id like to get away from spline sockets, harder to come by in a pinch.
19 mm does fit the SVE wheels.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I did have a little trouble finding a deep thin walled chrome 19mm socket to fit in my aftermarket wheels with those long open ended lugs. I change wheels a lot so I wanted something that had some as much room as possible to avoid rubbing. Hardware store was useless.

I think the local Autozone had the right goldilocks socket I’ve been using.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Picked up the monster lugs. They look ok, the smooth part of the extended lug sticks out on my daily wheels.

What torque specs do I follow. Monster Lug package says 90, but I've always used 150. Dunno if torque is dependant on the lug or the stud.

Also, my 19 mm impact socket barely fits the SVE lug holes. Gotta be careful insterting it or it will ruin the finish of the wheel. The 19mm key that came with the lugs is thin wall and fits much better.
20190821_114333.jpg
20190821_114343.jpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Picked up the monster lugs. They look ok, the smooth part of the extended lug sticks out on my daily wheels.

What torque specs do I follow. Monster Lug package says 90, but I've always used 150. Dunno if torque is dependant on the lug or the stud.

Also, my 19 mm impact socket barely fits the SVE lug holes. Gotta be careful insterting it or it will ruin the finish of the wheel. The 19mm key that came with the lugs is thin wall and fits much better.
20190821_114333.jpg
20190821_114343.jpg

The torque spec is for the stud size and lug type (conical seat vs flat nut). It needs 150 to create the correct amount of bolt stretch to maintain adequate clamp load on the wheel during all conditions and prevent loosening.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

The torque spec is for the stud size and lug type (conical seat vs flat nut). It needs 150 to create the correct amount of bolt stretch to maintain adequate clamp load on the wheel during all conditions and prevent loosening.
Yup 150.
Sponsored