Well. That’s not good

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
All it takes is .1 to .2 amps to kill a person... Edit - from my school! https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/physics/p616/safety/fatal_current.html
Keep going!
Sooooo... where does that current need to flow?
Anywhere? Or across the heart?

Pop safety quiz:
Should you use one hand or both when probing live energy sources with test leads?

If you set your ohm meter to 100,000 ohm range:
What is the resistance measured if you grab a test lead with each hand using thumb and index finger?
A. hands dry
B. hands damp clean water
C. hands damp w sweat
D. immediately after a shower, but dry hands thoroughly and measure

Assuming 0.1A threshold, using V/R=I, what are the rough fatal voltages for A thru D above?
Sponsored

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Those are definitely some trollish responses but my replies are below:

Sooooo... where does that current need to flow?
Anywhere? Or across the heart?

A: See link at bottom of post, this is very circumstantial, the same current and time of exposure might burn one person and kill another. If you get an energized hit on one hand and the other hand is touching a ground source the shock will pass through the upper body with higher chance of organ failure, cardiac arrest is the most common, severe muscle, brain and spinal damage or blindness can result from extreme muscle contraction.

Pop safety quiz:
Should you use one hand or both when probing live energy sources with test leads?

A: Your using the positive and negative test lead at the same time Never test Ohms on a hot wire or circuit. Here’s Fluke corporations 2 hour course and video with good information : https://www.fluke.com/en-us/learn/online-courses/digital-multimeter-basics-online-course

If you set your ohm meter to 100,000 ohm range:
What is the resistance measured if you grab a test lead with each hand using thumb and index finger?
A. hands dry
B. hands damp clean water
C. hands damp w sweat
D. immediately after a shower, but dry hands thoroughly and measure

A: Do you really mean testing the resistance in your body? That seams pointless but the human body resistance varies from 300-1000 ohms and the outer layer of skin is 1000-100,000 ohms depending on dryness and thickness of dead skin cells. I hope your not testing resistance on a live wire or touching a live wire. There is a good chance if you test resistance on energized wires or circuits it will burn up your meter. If you accidentally do this with a Fluke or decent brand they have a replacement fuse inside the meter.

Assuming 0.1A threshold, using V/R=I, what are the rough fatal voltages for A thru D above?

A: See links below, trying to keep it simple, higher voltage (over 500 volts) increases potential for shock and grounding but higher voltage decreases amperage, when talking about electrical deaths, time and current matter the most. 48 volts and lower is considered low voltage for human safety but people have died at lower voltages .
https://www.scienceabc.com/humans/how-many-volts-amps-kill-you-human.html

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/electric-shock

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Those are definitely some trollish responses but my replies are below:
Crap... was supposed to be fun and not trollish at all. Ill post some pics and answers.

Basically, depending on conditions, the resistance can vary substantially: thus, the voltage that can be deadly varies (48 - 480 V AC) if current flows across chest due to both hands used.
Youll see professional electricians work one handed in live panels with very good dry boots on. In such cases, they may survive a 480VAC contact (as I have working on pivot irrigation systems).

Last edited:

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Dry hands 670,000 ohms
E7B99076-D8BC-4AE8-867D-968F72A81B55.jpeg

Damp hands 140,000 ohms
DA311B45-8541-40D6-836E-4F869FF86BDB.jpeg

Damp w sweat (added salt ions greatly increase conductivity) 89,000
53D9C17A-C3F2-49A2-93E9-246D49110260.jpeg

Sweaty hands after 70 reps of 45# dumbbell decline bench. (Measured 100k range for better resolution) 60,000
0FE85395-6A44-4627-A0F3-EE59F9E33F1B.jpeg

Sweat soaked skin from in glove for a couple hours, or after shower (skin soaked till soft) TBD:
(Expect even lower resistance)

Example relevance:
If your hands are sweaty and for the past hour you were wearing well used leather work gloves that have lots of salt residue trapped from sweat evaporating: you are at risk of serious shock even at lower welding voltages of 35-70 volts. 50 V / 4000 ohm = 0.0125=possible death

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
MikeyPee

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
When the hoe says no
2F2C8561-77AD-4B43-AA55-004570D32097.jpeg
7D4D1F37-3B2F-4C48-AD92-3E9FA8728EB1.jpeg

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Was the set screw loose?

Did you check the amperage on the wire under full load?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
When the hoe says no
I'm no electrical engineer.. but that's a resistance problem. Try a different setup w/ a dedicated high current fuse.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
What is the power rating of the fore fuel system ? The chart seems to indicate that 100 amp fuse exceeds the specs of 6 AWG wire.

https://www.teambeefcakeracing.com/fore-42-832.html

- Includes 14' [4.2m] of 6 AWG power wire and 100 amp fuse
- Includes 3' [.9m] of 6 AWG ground wire with ring terminal
- Includes 7' [2.1m] 12 AWG pump leads and sealed Delphi connector at pump module
+++ nice

Op had a deck stacked against him...

Nicked strands from the jacket stripping?
Sooo 7AWG at the connector?

Aluminum terminations in Automotive?
Ugg.
Could have wire brushed female screw threads and conductor surfaces w alumagoo. Copper or tin plated hardware versions available?

Ratings are at what temperature? ambient?
And thats mounted where? Above exhaust?

Fuse block looks grey market...

Sponsored
OP
OP
MikeyPee

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
Was the set screw loose?

Did you check the amperage on the wire under full load?
VERY, and I believe that was the biggest contributing factor here. Should have gone back and retorqued everything a year ago : 0

I did not.

I'm no electrical engineer.. but that's a resistance problem. Try a different setup w/ a dedicated high current fuse.
Replacing everything with ferrules. Haven’t had time to install the new fuse block, but I’ll use the right connectors this time. Gonna reserve my comments about the installation instructions.

What is the power rating of the fore fuel system ? The chart seems to indicate that 100 amp fuse exceeds the specs of 6 AWG wire.

https://www.teambeefcakeracing.com/fore-42-832.html

- Includes 14' [4.2m] of 6 AWG power wire and 100 amp fuse
- Includes 3' [.9m] of 6 AWG ground wire with ring terminal
- Includes 7' [2.1m] 12 AWG pump leads and sealed Delphi connector at pump module
The fuse is rated at 80 amps; I believe.

+++ nice

Op had a deck stacked against him...

Nicked strands from the jacket stripping?
Sooo 7AWG at the connector?

Aluminum terminations in Automotive?
Ugg.
Could have wire brushed female screw threads and conductor surfaces w alumagoo. Copper or tin plated hardware versions available?

Ratings are at what temperature? ambient?
And thats mounted where? Above exhaust?

Fuse block looks grey market...
I’m pretty certain the loose terminal caused this mess

OP
OP
MikeyPee

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
Update: replaced the fuse block, the three connectors, and the conductor to the battery, and she started right up!!!!

Thanks for all the help fellas !!!
Sponsored