Sponsored

Build and Negotiations? Answers please...

mavmrb3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brady
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt-DHG | 2010 Yaris 3Dr HB |
I'm planning to purchase in summer of 2020 a 2020MY Bullitt. I have researched excessively on this vehicle for the last year. I told my friend the plan who is a salesman at the dealership. He has been helpful letting me drive the car, etc. I told I plan to order on 1/31/2020 with Barry who does the ordering. It takes around 4 months I have found out through helpful information from this group. I told him when the car is delivered in early June we can then make the negotiations. I asked him also to let management know of my plans. He said he will let them know and said,

"...but price negotiations are done before you do a build. If you don't agree to the numbers, they won't build it. All that has to be done prior to the ordering."

Folks, can anyone tell me if this is the case? That does not seem right? I have never heard of that?

So basically what is being told to me is at time of build in January you price negotiate maybe slightly below MSRP and make the deal. The dealership gets the build for you. When it comes delivered 4-5 months later. You pay the previously negotiated price and shake hands and you are on your way with your new beautiful vehicle.

BS!

What happens when it is delivered 5 months later and the fair market purchase price drops down lower? The customer paid too much in the negotiation price at build 5 months earlier. Shouldn't you be able to negotiate the price at time of delivery? Isn't this the reason for the deposit? I thought the dealership can't make you negotiate cost at time of build. This seems to be wrong? There is no loss for the dealership if you back out because of the deposit. Sure the dealership has to now sell the car.

So, If anyone can tell me the process of negotiations and how it works. Is this the case for what my dealership friend said?

Thank you...

Brady
Sponsored

omens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Through reading the forums, looks like your dealer is correct, and it is not BS. You'll negotiate your price at the time of ordering. If there's a better Ford incentive when your car is delivered it appears people have had that honored.

Hunnieshadow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Amanda
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2020 Mustang GT ā€˜Vert on order
We did the negotiating at time of the order for our ā€˜20. We told them what we wanted for the walk out price and went from there. Any rebates or specials available at the time of delivery will be applied at that time. But then we ended up getting X plan pricing due to a good friend that works for Ford.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I would personally use email and shop it around. Just send you build sheet out to 50 dealers and see who gives you the best price. I generally donā€™t use my real name or phone number until I get the quote I am looking for. This also allows me to CC one dealer another dealer quotes to see if they will deal. Donā€™t make the mistake of handing out your phone number to all of them unless you want phone calls forever. They will always say ā€œWhatā€™s your number? We would like to talk to you abou thisā€.

You can also renegotiate at the time of delivery if the markets have changed in your favor(sales down, incentives etc).

There is no loyalty at most car dealerships. Itā€™s just business.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I would personally use email and shop it around. Just send you build sheet out to 50 dealers and see who gives you the best price. I generally donā€™t use my real name or phone number until I get the quote I am looking for. This also allows me to CC one dealer another dealer quotes to see if they will deal. Donā€™t make the mistake of handing out your phone number to all of them unless you want phone calls forever. They will always say ā€œWhatā€™s your number? We would like to talk to you abou thisā€.

You can also renegotiate at the time of delivery if the markets have changed in your favor(sales down, incentives etc).

There is no loyalty at most car dealerships. Itā€™s just business.
+1 Keep in mind the factors that go into the price today arenā€™t really going to change. The MSRP, invoice, holdbacks, etc. will stay the same. Now in the event there is a major shift down in the cost of your car (highly unlikely), Iā€™m sure your friend will work with you. Also, as said before, you are entitled to any available rebates at the time of purchase.

StealthFighter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BOB
Vehicle(s)
-2019 GT premium a10 -pp1 -Shadow Black loaded
I would be interested what brand of new car /cars have you ordered previously that the dealer allowed you to special order a car without first agreeing on a sales price .

Most of my new car buys have been from cars in stock or dealer ordered in transit ...BUT I have special ordered 10 vehicles from the Ford/GM /Chrysler groups starting in 1968 thru to 2015.

I have always needed to negotiate sales price before any dealer would order a vehicle built to my specifications, even when I had purchased other vehicles at the same dealership.

I could see if you were a family member or a close friend of the owner you might get special treatment, or if your special order is something the dealership feels will
be a quick seller if you don't agree to a price when it arrives, but other then that I don't see a dealer doing a special order just for the possible chance you might not end up buying it.

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
I negotiated my car at time of ordering. Did everything through email.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Why do you need to build?
Is there specific options you wanted that aren't readily available with in stock cars?
June delivery date ....if al goes as planned is darn close to 2021 model year.

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
OP,

Iā€™ll try to answer this without insulting everyone on this thread and getting myself banned...but that is a tough job.

1. No dealer is ever going to custom order a car, let alone a Bullitt, for you without a prenegotiated price. Put on your big boy pants and deal with it.

2. You want a Bullitt. Not a lot of ordering options: Appropriate seats or inappropriate Recaros, electronics package or not, mag ride suspension or not. That is it. Oh, color- Green or Black.

3. These are allocated cars, this isnā€™t Amazon. You cannot just plan on going in on X date and ordering one at a dealership
of your choice. The dealership has to have been specifically awarded an allocation by Ford to receive a Bullitt. When the dealership gets the allocation(s) they order. Use it or lose it. The odds of you just walking in on X date and the dealership having an open unused allocation for a Bullitt is highly remote.

4. The only thing in your favor is that 2020 is the second year (And FINAL year- their ainā€™t no waiting for a 2021 edition) of Bullitt production and ADMs will have disappeared in much of the country and sales lagging (Bullitts are sitting on lots) as the gotta-have-its are fighting over the new GT500 thus your regional zone manager may be sitting on some unused Bullitt allocations that your local dealer can snag to fulfill your order but that is not a given by any means.

5. Your also very late to the party. With the 08/09 Bullitt the number of 09ā€™s built and sold was small. Sales tanked after the Bullitt fans got their 08ā€™s. It is anticipated the same may happen with the 2020 Bullitts as there are a number of 2019s just sitting on lots as the high sales summer season is heading towards a close. Ford could easily cut the 2020 Bullitt production year short if sales nose dive like they did in 2009. There is no guarantee of Bullitts remaining in production next spring.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
"...but price negotiations are done before you do a build. If you don't agree to the numbers, they won't build it. All that has to be done prior to the ordering."

Folks, can anyone tell me if this is the case? That does not seem right? I have never heard of that?
Every car I have ever special ordered has been done this way. With Ford, you also get the better of the incentives at time of order or the incentives at time of delivery..

So basically what is being told to me is at time of build in January you price negotiate maybe slightly below MSRP and make the deal. The dealership gets the build for you. When it comes delivered 4-5 months later. You pay the previously negotiated price and shake hands and you are on your way with your new beautiful vehicle.
Why negotiate slightly below MSRP? Go for well below. Cut the best deal you can at the time. Use a few dealers.

What happens when it is delivered 5 months later and the fair market purchase price drops down lower? The customer paid too much in the negotiation price at build 5 months earlier. Shouldn't you be able to negotiate the price at time of delivery? Isn't this the reason for the deposit? I thought the dealership can't make you negotiate cost at time of build. This seems to be wrong? There is no loss for the dealership if you back out because of the deposit. Sure the dealership has to now sell the car.
Many dealerships will return the deposit on an abandoned order and then they have to sell the car. Unless they know upfront what their deal is, why would they be willing to take the risk?

So, If anyone can tell me the process of negotiations and how it works. Is this the case for what my dealership friend said?
Yes, it's how it works. Besides, you said the guy is your friend. Why don't you believe him instead of random strangers on the Internet?

OP
OP
mavmrb3

mavmrb3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brady
Vehicle(s)
+1 Keep in mind the factors that go into the price today arenā€™t really going to change. The MSRP, invoice, holdbacks, etc. will stay the same. Now in the event there is a major shift down in the cost of your car (highly unlikely), Iā€™m sure your friend will work with you. Also, as said before, you are entitled to any available rebates at the time of purchase.

Thanks. Since the Bulliitt is considered a limited or special addition I believe there are no rebates.

OP
OP
mavmrb3

mavmrb3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brady
Vehicle(s)
Why do you need to build?
Is there specific options you wanted that aren't readily available with in stock cars?
June delivery date ....if al goes as planned is darn close to 2021 model year.
I have always wanted a Bullitt. 2020 is the last year and possibly the last year for the Bullitt run ever? I'm also saving paying cash and no loan or debt. I will be at the $50,000.00 mark in May.

OP
OP
mavmrb3

mavmrb3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brady
Vehicle(s)
OP,

Iā€™ll try to answer this without insulting everyone on this thread and getting myself banned...but that is a tough job.

1. No dealer is ever going to custom order a car, let alone a Bullitt, for you without a prenegotiated price. Put on your big boy pants and deal with it.

2. You want a Bullitt. Not a lot of ordering options: Appropriate seats or inappropriate Recaros, electronics package or not, mag ride suspension or not. That is it. Oh, color- Green or Black.

3. These are allocated cars, this isnā€™t Amazon. You cannot just plan on going in on X date and ordering one at a dealership
of your choice. The dealership has to have been specifically awarded an allocation by Ford to receive a Bullitt. When the dealership gets the allocation(s) they order. Use it or lose it. The odds of you just walking in on X date and the dealership having an open unused allocation for a Bullitt is highly remote.

4. The only thing in your favor is that 2020 is the second year (And FINAL year- their ainā€™t no waiting for a 2021 edition) of Bullitt production and ADMs will have disappeared in much of the country and sales lagging (Bullitts are sitting on lots) as the gotta-have-its are fighting over the new GT500 thus your regional zone manager may be sitting on some unused Bullitt allocations that your local dealer can snag to fulfill your order but that is not a given by any means.

5. Your also very late to the party. With the 08/09 Bullitt the number of 09ā€™s built and sold was small. Sales tanked after the Bullitt fans got their 08ā€™s. It is anticipated the same may happen with the 2020 Bullitts as there are a number of 2019s just sitting on lots as the high sales summer season is heading towards a close. Ford could easily cut the 2020 Bullitt production year short if sales nose dive like they did in 2009. There is no guarantee of Bullitts remaining in production next spring.

No, you are not insulting anyone. Sound advise! I'm learning.

Point #3. So, Ford has to get allocations in order for me to order? Please explain?

Point #4: This is good info.

After you pre-negotiate the price, you can still renegotiate when delivered?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
After you pre-negotiate the price, you can still renegotiate when delivered?
That's up to you and the dealership. To be fair, they're not being unreasonable regarding when they want numbers. Fact is, a new car is still a new car whether it rolls off the truck tomorrow or 5 months from now and it is indeed limited production. It's not like the car is going to sit and they'll be desperate to get rid of it. Someone is going to want it and they will sell it. Supply and demand are not on your side. I waited 9 months for delivery on my GT350 with a $1,000 deposit. Which brings up another point, they're going to want a deposit as well. If you decide to walk you could end up losing it.
Sponsored