First Autocross today

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
So, I had my first autocross event today. Today was school and tomorrow is the actual event. I did the school, but am skipping the event to spend the day with my grandson.

The started out with thunderstorms from 3:30 until about 6:30. Two lightning delays. Finally got going around 9. It was quite the experience. On the plus side, I feel like I got very good instruction. My instructor was someone with a ton of experience, and fairly successful. I kept all the nannies on, as the track was still pretty wet. I did almost come around a couple of times, put kept all four wheels on the track and generally pointed the right direction. I dropped 7 seconds from 1st lap to last lap of the first session.

After all the groups , we broke for lunch. By now the track was nice and dry, I was ready to try ans shave a little more time off. But wait, they changed they track layout!! I was really hoping to see of I could better my times on a dry track. In the afternoon session, my instructor had me turn off the traction control. I was hesitant, but did it. My times were now closer to some of the cars from later morning session, but I could definitely feel the car get a LOT more loose.

Overall, a ton a fun. Ran about 15 laps. The guy running the event said we got 3 autocross events in. While it was a blast, I'm not sure I want to spend the better part of the day at the track for 5 or 6 laps. I did meet some really nice people. Husband and wife shared time in a "17 2SS 1LE. Couldn't quite keep up with him. Met a nother guy in a '17 GTPP. Our times were pretty similar. There was a 97 Shelby Cobra (had the cobra emblem on the side) running 315/35/18 square setup that was interesting. I was pretty close to his times. Almost got taken out by a small smoething that lost control and came careening off course at the corner I was working. Gotta keep your head on a swivel. Already planning on taking the wife to the next driving school event.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So, I had my first autocross event today. Today was school and tomorrow is the actual event. I did the school, but am skipping the event to spend the day with my grandson.

The started out with thunderstorms from 3:30 until about 6:30. Two lightning delays. Finally got going around 9. It was quite the experience. On the plus side, I feel like I got very good instruction. My instructor was someone with a ton of experience, and fairly successful. I kept all the nannies on, as the track was still pretty wet. I did almost come around a couple of times, put kept all four wheels on the track and generally pointed the right direction. I dropped 7 seconds from 1st lap to last lap of the first session.

After all the groups , we broke for lunch. By now the track was nice and dry, I was ready to try ans shave a little more time off. But wait, they changed they track layout!! I was really hoping to see of I could better my times on a dry track. In the afternoon session, my instructor had me turn off the traction control. I was hesitant, but did it. My times were now closer to some of the cars from later morning session, but I could definitely feel the car get a LOT more loose.

Overall, a ton a fun. Ran about 15 laps. The guy running the event said we got 3 autocross events in. While it was a blast, I'm not sure I want to spend the better part of the day at the track for 5 or 6 laps. I did meet some really nice people. Husband and wife shared time in a "17 2SS 1LE. Couldn't quite keep up with him. Met a nother guy in a '17 GTPP. Our times were pretty similar. There was a 97 Shelby Cobra (had the cobra emblem on the side) running 315/35/18 square setup that was interesting. I was pretty close to his times. Almost got taken out by a small smoething that lost control and came careening off course at the corner I was working. Gotta keep your head on a swivel. Already planning on taking the wife to the next driving school event.
In my experience, the driving school autocrosses are not nearly as exciting as the real events. They're usually slower and less demanding (on purpose). It's good that you went, though!

8 runs on a course like this is a good day.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I've never AutoX'd before, so this sounds pretty stupid I know. I've only been on "The Streets of Willow" which was a blast. My question is, how do you keep track of where to drive? Maybe because I'm old, but it seems like by the time you get up to the directional cones, you better remember what to do do because it's otherwise too late. I don't think I could remember a course like that, and with cones everywhere, man I don't know. I didn't have a problem with a road course because it's fairly easy to see the difference between blacktop and sand LOL.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
You go out and walk the course prior to starting. While it looks difficult in the video, its much clearer in person if you've done your homework.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You go out and walk the course prior to starting. While it looks difficult in the video, its much clearer in person if you've done your homework.
This. I try to walk it three times, two at a minimum. You pick up little things about the line and course each walk.

Sponsored

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
And the cones point the way to go. I was worried I'd miss a turn, but the instructor walked the course with me and pointed out key things. I took the first lap just a little slow so I could get oriented. One lap was all it took. The course is fairly short, so there's not a whole lot to remember.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The small number of laps, short duration of seat time is why a lot of people end up turning away from autocross, but if you get hooked, its an amazing venue to learn and master car control skills up the the limit and beyond. Our local clubs allow double entries (double the runs, double work - usually setup and teardown, and double the entry cost), which give you more seat time for your hours spent on site.

Glad the OP had fun. I just got back from a local event too.

Try not to compare yourself to others when just starting out. All the novice cars are different, and usually on vastly different tire and suspension setups, and the drivers are all very different in their driving level and experience. Try to focus on things YOU can control, like application of your instructors feedback and how well you can get the car do do what you’re asking it to. Keep working at it and you’ll improve.

z3papa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW M3
In my experience, the driving school autocrosses are not nearly as exciting as the real events. They're usually slower and less demanding (on purpose). It's good that you went, though!

8 runs on a course like this is a good day.

That course looks very familiar. :crackup:
Sponsored