Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I watched a YT vid today which stated that the painted stripes are being outsourced and that kind of surprised me. If this is the case, do you all think that Ford just paints the car in color and then sends it off to this vendor who paints the stripes and presumably also lays down the clear coat. I don't mind how it's done and those I've seen look WAY better than vinyl.

If anyone has further info on this, I'd sure like to hear it.
Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Technically the vinyl stripes are outsourced as well since it goes to another location when it leaves the plant to have them installed.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I watched a YT vid today which stated that the painted stripes are being outsourced and that kind of surprised me. If this is the case, do you all think that Ford just paints the car in color and then sends it off to this vendor who paints the stripes and presumably also lays down the clear coat. I don't mind how it's done and those I've seen look WAY better than vinyl.

If anyone has further info on this, I'd sure like to hear it.
Since Ford supposedly normally does the clear before the color is dry, the stripes are going to be a vastly different process.

Considering the price, I would not be surprised if Ford did the car the normal way and shipped the car somewhere to do the stripes the same way a shop did mine after sale. They scuffed the factory clear, laid the stripes and then shot another layer of clear on the bumpers, hood, top and trunk. In my case they removed the bumper covers and everything bolted to them as well as anything attached to the hood, roof and trunk so the stripes and clear would be edge to edge and expect the same with the GT500s.

For those who believe factory paint is tougher because its baked on, I don't think that will happen to the clear on the majority of the car (everywhere but the sides).

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Technically the vinyl stripes are outsourced as well since it goes to another location when it leaves the plant to have them installed.
It was my understanding that the vinyl stripes were applied in plant, just in another building.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yes, I wouldn't spend that kind of money if it wasn't part of the VIN and being as rare as it is. I have vinyl on all of my R's and I'd much rather have paint.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Outsourced may mean bringing in someone to do the strips at the plant. That would make a lot more sense.

10k painted strips should be the upmost quality. 10k for raised strips ( on top of clear) is not my definition of upmost quality.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Outsourced may mean bringing in someone to do the strips at the plant. That would make a lot more sense.

10k painted strips should be the upmost quality. 10k for raised strips ( on top of clear) is not my definition of upmost quality.
You think that is going to happen at a UAW plant? I am sure that the grievances would be flying before the first outside painter showed up for work.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
You think that is going to happen at a UAW plant? I am sure that the grievances would be flying before the first outside painter showed up for work.
You are absolutely right. In that case I don’t know the answer. I just don’t think(reads hope) Ford will have raised strips.

There is a very small window to paint over color before clear so it has to be done at the factory to be single step.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
It was my understanding that the vinyl stripes were applied in plant, just in another building.
You are absolutely correct as Ford has not outsourced their OTT and Rocker Panel stripes since 2010.

When Ford came out with the last generation of the GT500 back in 2007 they outsourced the 3M stripe application to third party and did that from the 2007MY through to the 2009MY.

Take a close look at any 2007 to 2009 GT500 stripes that the 3rd party provided and you see quickly realize why Ford fired them after the 2009MY and then purchased their own in house OTT and Rocker Panel striping machine starting with the 2010MY for the GT500.

Yes, the 3M vinyl stripes are applied on site at FR but at another location and no different than what happens with the CF wheels, CF spoiler and rear seat delete for the GT350 R models.

I would suggest that the 2 seat 2020 GT500 CFTP cars will also be taken to the Mod Shop for these same modifications.

:sunglasses:
Sponsored