OP

songangchen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premuim
Drone is only going to happen around 1800-2000 rpms, it feels like a bumble bee is stuck in your ear. Loud will increase with rpm.
omg you are so right. after 2 weeks driving i think i can recognize drone and loud and it's exactly like what you said. the drone only happened on 1900 rpm. i'm already get used to it but my girl friend not... i may need to do some insulation on the chassis and trunk...
Sponsored

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
omg you are so right. after 2 weeks driving i think i can recognize drone and loud and it's exactly like what you said. the drone only happened on 1900 rpm. i'm already get used to it but my girl friend not... i may need to do some insulation on the chassis and trunk...
There are a few things you can do, first thing that comes to mind is removing the sound tube. That should cut down on interior noise.

OP
OP

songangchen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premuim
There are a few things you can do, first thing that comes to mind is removing the sound tube. That should cut down on interior noise.
is that mainly cut down the noise from the engine to cabin? since the exhaust is loud, i can barely hear the noise from the engine... but that is a very good option. i didn't even know ford design a sound tube to the cabin lol

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
is that mainly cut down the noise from the engine to cabin? since the exhaust is loud, i can barely hear the noise from the engine... but that is a very good option. i didn't even know ford design a sound tube to the cabin lol
Yes, this is a change you can make yourself for cheap. Some have added a valve in the tube so they can turn it off/on because removing it completely takes some work, and it gives you an option.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Have you reached out to AWE? Honestly, I donā€™t know how youā€™re getting drone,... the AWE completely solved my drone issue. This is in a convertible which inherently drone more than the coupes.

On the highway at cruise speeds from 1800 to 2200 rpm the exhaust is silent. The only time I will hear it is if I put my foot on the gas to speed up a little. Then itā€™s not a drone itā€™s just more exhaust volume.

Prior to the AWE I had the SVE / CJPP axle back and that droned! Ears ringing, didnā€™t want to cruise in the car. Sure sounded good, but I also got a headache from it and my wife HATED it.

So my opinion is if you are truly having drone, you really need to reach out to @Josh/AWE.

Auburn Hills is 3 hours from me in Ontario...

Sponsored

OP
OP

songangchen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premuim
Have you reached out to AWE? Honestly, I donā€™t know how youā€™re getting drone,... the AWE completely solved my drone issue. This is in a convertible which inherently drone more than the coupes.

On the highway at cruise speeds from 1800 to 2200 rpm the exhaust is silent. The only time I will hear it is if I put my foot on the gas to speed up a little. Then itā€™s not a drone itā€™s just more exhaust volume.

Prior to the AWE I had the SVE / CJPP axle back and that droned! Ears ringing, didnā€™t want to cruise in the car. Sure sounded good, but I also got a headache from it and my wife HATED it.

So my opinion is if you are truly having drone, you really need to reach out to @Josh/AWE.

Auburn Hills is 3 hours from me in Ontario...
i called AWE and the technician told me to drive the car for 500 miles and the drone will disappear. I got 150 miles now and the drone get weight better. idk why it will disappear but it is tolerable now. so i will give it a shot and see what happen after 500 miles. For now the drone only happened on 1900 rpm on gear 6.

Any idea on insulation? my girl friend still think it is loud lol.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Iā€™m glad itā€™s improving.

Sorry. Canā€™t help with the insulation aspect of things... see how it is at the 500 mile
Mark and if youā€™re not happy, let AWE know. Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll look after you!

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
There is a sound insulation trunk mat made by a member here called TKO, you can try that , I bought it and believe it helped a little, my wife has sensitive ears, and suffers from the drone as well.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
i called AWE and the technician told me to drive the car for 500 miles and the drone will disappear. I got 150 miles now and the drone get weight better.
Heat cycles have a way of changing the tone.
Listen to AWE. Iā€™d give it 1000 or so miles before jumping the gun.
Stainless steel is like a rubber band, it moves a lot with very little heat especially if this a true series 300 stainless system.

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully it goes away after the 500 miles. I too have the touring with no drone what so ever. For me, it did quiet down a little from when it first went on.

@Mag_s550GT

Any videos of your exhaust? Iā€™ve been thinking about deleting the cats but I ADORE the sound of the touring catback and donā€™t want to ruin that. Or introduce any drone

Josh/AWE

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoost, GT
Hi, everyone! Thanks for summoning me. Hoping you're all great.

OP, apologies I am just now seeing this thread, but I'm here now :)

As others have mentioned, the Touring Editions simply don't drone, but they do indeed emit a different note than stock, as you've noticed. I am aware you took it to a tech and they mentioned nothing abnormal -- did they look it over when at operating temperature? As GregO mentioned, stainless "grows" when it's hot -- aka thermal expansion. Since we craft with T304L, this is very much a fact with our exhausts. I ask because maybe something is making contact somewhere, which would be remedied with adjustment.

Also, as my colleague mentioned (whomever you may have spoken with) that there is a break-in period of 800-1000 miles. Although we don't utilize traditional packing methods for our patented 180 Technology resonators, soot plays a major roll in the break-in process. As you rack miles, the tubing is coated in soot, and as a result, the tone mellows. Exhausts are always at their loudest upon initial installation.

Keep me posted, and feel free to email me directly. Address is in my signature below.
Sponsored

Last edited: