Reving to high RPM bad for the engine?

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
The automatic transmission shifts at pretty low rpms tells me shifting early is not a bad thing. With manuals it's tiring to shift that quick. I guess my next mustang will be automatic. I love the manual but feel like I'm getting lazy now.
I wonder if the automatics shift at lower RPMs (under normal driving) for fuel economy...?

Not a Mustang, but my 2017 F350 (6.2 liter gas engine) has an automatic and it shifts at crazy low RPMs IMO.
I drive it in tow/haul mode half the time because it really "wakes up" the engine and seems to shift it where you would if it was a manual trans.
In the truck I don't understand the low shift points if it is in fact for fuel economy. The truck gets 10 MPG on a good day...it's not going to get much better or worse regardless of when that transmission shifts, IMO.
Sponsored

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
The automatic transmission shifts at pretty low rpms tells me shifting early is not a bad thing. With manuals it's tiring to shift that quick. I guess my next mustang will be automatic. I love the manual but feel like I'm getting lazy now.
Put the A10 in sport mode and see where it shifts :)

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
This is a strange thread. Are we really trying to figure out if driving your car in its natural powerband ~4k-~6 is bad? The engine was made to run best there right? Maybe some folks are not used to high revving engines?

emdavis197

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 5.0 *Velocity Blue* (The fastest color)
This is a strange thread. Are we really trying to figure out if driving your car in its natural powerband ~4k-~6 is bad? The engine was made to run best there right? Maybe some folks are not used to high revving engines?
Very strange thread, I agree. I just got in from a drive *trying* to shift at or below 2,500 just to see. It was hard to do and it was not good. Not at all. It felt both wrong and shameful. Haha.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
You actually shift well below 2000RPMs???

Why would you pay any attention to it?
Gas millage not everyone can afford to drive with 6MPG every day.

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Very strange thread, I agree. I just got in from a drive *trying* to shift at or below 2,500 just to see. It was hard to do and it was not good. Not at all. It felt both wrong and shameful. Haha.
Did you see the green shift arrow though ? Also my Fiesta 1.25i has same power output per litter as the Coyote. And it also wants to be shifted that way. As I think about it maybe Ford software is wrong though. As driving Coyote in this way make it super slow and cruising at 35 MPH at 5th is not a great experience for sure you can feel the car complaining but it is what it is.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Did you see the green shift arrow though ? Also my Fiesta 1.25i has same power output per litter as the Coyote. And it also wants to be shifted that way. As I think about it maybe Ford software is wrong though. As driving Coyote in this way make it super slow and cruising at 35 MPH at 5th is not a great experience for sure you can feel the car complaining but it is what it is.
"...has same power output per litter as the Coyote."

See what was done there? Poifict.

Question was, "Engine wear out faster if revved high?" Answer is, "Yes". It's in the nature of things mechanical.

The engine in question is built to rev high. I don't have a guess as to how long it will last if consistently run near the rev limit, nor how much longer it would last if driven moderately, or—Heaven forbid—very slowly. I do have a guess about whether or not a slow-engine driver has lost the plot.

The largest percentage of my driving time I let the Ford engineers control engine speed by way of the automatic transmission's response to my casual inputs with regard to speed and acceleration. There are times when I sense the engineers want me to redline it, so I assume as much control as I can, and we all smile for a while.

Sponsored

Taterbootz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP. 2014 Focus Sport SE.
I usually stay sub 4K with daily driving, but when I want to have fun I shift around 7000-7200. I didn’t buy a fun car to drive like an appliance.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Learn something new everyday... This whole time I thought I wasn't supposed to shift until the speedometer went red.
Nah, you got it all wrong.....you don't shift until you hit ludicrous speed and go plaid!