Installed a Tremec Magnum XL in my S550

Alex.Envy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Nice dude! What canards do you have? I think what I like the most about this trans is that I can launch it at like 5500 lol, don’t do it often though cause I’m scared for my clutch and axles
Sponsored

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Nice dude! What canards do you have? I think what I like the most about this trans is that I can launch it at like 5500 lol, don’t do it often though cause I’m scared for my clutch and axles
APR for all my aero stuff. I used to have swaying issues that have been totally eliminated since then.

Wolverine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Oxford White Premium GTPP

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Clutch came in last week, got the trans and driveshaft on Monday. I have a couple other small projects to finish first before diving into the Mustang again, but I'll take some pictures over the weekend for y'all.

Sponsored

Wolverine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Oxford White Premium GTPP
Clutch came in last week, got the trans and driveshaft on Monday. I have a couple other small projects to finish first before diving into the Mustang again, but I'll take some pictures over the weekend for y'all.
@aleccolin - Any chance for those pictures, or an unboxing overview? Did you go with the organic-disc sprung-hub version? I’m about to place my order, so just holding out for your thoughts on it.. sorry to keep bugging! Lol

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
@aleccolin - Any chance for those pictures, or an unboxing overview? Did you go with the organic-disc sprung-hub version? I’m about to place my order, so just holding out for your thoughts on it.. sorry to keep bugging! Lol
No bother, I’ll try to do that tomorrow night or Friday, been working 12s so haven’t done any car stuff in a minute.

I got the organic sprung hub, since I’m going for as much of an OE-like experience as possible.

I will say that my initial impression just from checking it out in my office, Tilton lives up to their name! Every piece was flawless and obviously designed and manufactured with care. I really feel this will become the go-to clutch option for these swaps.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Took the clutch to work and opened it up again to take some pics for y'all. Won't have any idea about installation until I get into it, but here's some thoughts below.

DPIahipm.jpg
Nl7Cgqam.jpg
GsOzsVRm.jpg

Hardware appears to be top notch, either repackaged ARP or equivalent.

DVNz38Sm.jpg
vWy3Cwhm.jpg
TQwzlaNm.jpg

HFZhCcbm.jpg
UnSZDrZm.jpg
FWieXJum.jpg

Clutch comes fully assembled except for the friction disc that rides against the flywheel. This is good, except the middle friction disc is slightly off-center. You could easily unbolt the floater plate, but I'll throw it in the press to release the tension and center it up before install.

NLaKHowl.jpg

EDusgXtl.jpg

mgFkmKBl.jpg

Friction discs are what you'd expect, the springs and hubs are off center to the inside, running inside the ID of the floater plate and pressure plate, which explains part of how they can get the stack height down to only 2.66 in. Plenty of meat on these discs, and the construction is overall very stout.

cDSoDRpl.jpg

PTA39N9l.jpg

Ku2Oxmsl.jpg

Floater plate appears to be blanchard ground and then scotchbrited for a non-directional finish. I wouldn't be surprised if this thing indicated within a couple tenths on a surface plate.

0cl1U13l.jpg

Machining all around is PERFECT, even the anodizing on the pressure plate cover is top notch.

x1R8K6Hl.jpg

Hi7rTUtm.jpg
HxOe3DUm.jpg

Chromoly flywheel is nicely blued and the machining is PERFECT. Threads, ring gear, everything. The friction surface is also ground and everything is well oiled. Flywheel is 17lbs and unique to this clutch, you'll see why in the pics.

RWrbuPKl.jpg

9BD0ewfl.jpg

HytjO6wl.jpg

So here's a detail I really like, the clutch cover has monolithic standoffs that appear VERY rigid, but they also have a step milled in the inside face that registers with edge of the friction surface on the flywheel. And let me tell you, it's a perfect fit, maybe one thou tolerance. It dropped right down flat with a little pressure and it took a small tug to get it back off. Concentricity is never going to be an issue with this design.

HRMCRGyl.jpg

RNGYeDNl.jpg

56i3z3xl.jpg

It appears that Tilton put some serious thought and effort into designing a "street" clutch with all the pedigree of their race clutches that have had so much success over the years. I'm honestly shocked how inexpensive this setup is especially since it comes with the flywheel. I'll be using their adjustable hydraulic throwout bearing as well, to complete the package.

So that's it, hope that helps!

Last edited:
OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Very nice @aleccolin and appreciate all the pictures/insights. Really looking forward to your results and how the clutch feels to you pre/post break in. Did you get a complete weight of all components?

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Very nice @aleccolin and appreciate all the pictures/insights. Really looking forward to your results and how the clutch feels to you pre/post break in. Did you get a complete weight of all components?
I didn't weigh it yet, but I can do that. The flywheel is 17# so I'm guessing the clutch is about the same, so I would estimate somewhere around 30-35# total. It's a smallish diameter though 11.5" overall (clutch cover) with discs and plates under 10", so it would take some enginerding to figure out how that really compares in terms of rotational inertia.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
As far as inertia goes, you’ll most likely be close to the Mantic physics. Here’s a pic of the Mantic next to the stock clutch. Mantic discs are 9.5” and it’s flywheel is 14 lbs so close to what the Tilton seems to be based on your findings.

434D21EC-E400-486B-B716-82CE52C7974B.jpeg

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Thank you @aleccolin !!!

Also....I’m sold. Ordering the exact same clutch as soon as I find a shop to sell me a T56 Magnum and this clutch setup for a decent price. Looks great!
Happy to help, FWIW I shopped around for a while and ultimately just got everything through MDL. I wouldn't have saved much (if anything) piecemealing it together and MDL was the only way to get the QA1 driveshaft. Factoring shipping, I probably came out ahead (MDL did $100 flat for all of it to a commercial address). Any way you look at it, this swap is going to be more money than I had hoped, but it'll be done right.

frankrizzo487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT premium convertible (PP)
Trans is in! So excited to have a useful first gear now!! Longest 500 miles of my life breaking in this McLeod RST clutch.. Deff go with the bowler harness that abbot box is BS..

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Longest 500 miles of my life breaking in this McLeod RST clutch.
is it strictly speaking miles driven or 'pulling away from stop's? I think you should be able to log 500 miles in about 3 days without trying that hard, a week easy.
Sponsored