Sponsored

Edelbrock vs Gen 2 Whipple

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase
Very nice @Burkey! I usually see +12-15F cruising on the highway and +20-25 in city traffic when ambient is circa 90*F. In the mornings I’m usually -4F ambient at startup and +8F or so by the time I get to the highway with ambient of 70*F. I'm not running the spacers, though. Which sensor did you get, plastic or brass?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Very nice @Burkey! I usually see +12-15F cruising on the highway and +20-25 in city traffic when ambient is circa 90*F. In the mornings I’m usually -4F ambient at startup and +8F or so by the time I get to the highway with ambient of 70*F. Which sensor did you get, plastic or brass?
I got the brass one. I was very sure to check after the dramas some of you earlier guys had with the plastic version.
Also, Edelbrock have agreed to send me an extension for the TB harness. Seems they may have worked out that “some” of the 15-17s might have slightly shorter wiring in that area.
I guess it’s all part of the learning curve. Good to see they’re listening to the customers.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I got the brass one. I was very sure to check after the dramas some of you earlier guys had with the plastic version.
Also, Edelbrock have agreed to send me an extension for the TB harness. Seems they may have worked out that “some” of the 15-17s might have slightly shorter wiring in that area.
I guess it’s all part of the learning curve. Good to see they’re listening to the customers.
Edelbrock has great customer service! I had 2 small issues with the kit and they sent me new parts asap!

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Edelbrock has great customer service! I had 2 small issues with the kit and they sent me new parts asap!
I’m pretty happy. Mistakes happen. It’s how they deal with it that matters. Being willing to accept constructive criticism and learn from it being the key.
Far too many companies out there simply walking away from their customer entirely after the sale, or offering what I would call sub-standard support.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I’m pretty happy. Mistakes happen. It’s how they deal with it that matters. Being willing to accept constructive criticism and learn from it being the key.
Far too many companies out there simply walking away from their customer entirely after the sale, or offering what I would call sub-standard support.
This is what it's all about and I gladly pay a little more for real service

Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Still early days on the tuning side of things.
Please take the following with a grain of salt. It’s indicative only.
The Whipple was tuned by one of the big names in the US, as is the Edelbrock, although a different tuner.
Logs are from different days, so please don’t take them as any sort of gospel truth.
The Whipple was making 17* peak spark with a genuine 12psi boost (measured on the dyno).
7* spark at 2300, hitting 16* by 3400 and peaking at 17.5* at 5000rpm.
The Edelbrock is making 7* spark at 2300, rising to 14* at 6500 (early tune remember). Boost is predicted to be 10-11psi (not yet confirmed).
The Edelbrock is literally kicking the Whipple in the dick from 2300-4300. The time taken for both to get from 2300-6300 is almost identical, although the Edelbrock still holds the advantage, despite having less boost and very little timing.
I’ll plot rpm against time for both setups once the tuning is complete.
Fresh fuel goes in today. The car was last filled 6 weeks ago from a source that may not have been ideal.
Spark/KR map below for those who want to see the actual numbers. The knock sensors are hating the fuel I’m using right now.
Early days, don’t read too much into it.

One thing I really enjoy about this setup is the way the boost is literally instantaneous and intuitive (pill removed).
It’s like having a NA car with a cable throttle but just more power.
I never got that “connected” feeling from the Whipple. Even tried different tuners in the pursuit of it but it just wasn’t to be. The difference is very subtle, but if you’re trying to balance a car using the throttle whilst on opposite lock, it matters. Control is everything.
It may just be that this particular tuner has a different strategy, could be the design of the TB, could be as simple as TVS vs Twin Screw.
I really don’t know, but I like it!
Actually, I LOVE IT! :rockon:
1EDBD0F2-3D22-43BD-B1AF-3067F04F64B3.jpeg

King138

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Performance Pack GT
@Burkey now that is a reply! Well done

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
It gets better...:crazy:
After a quick chat with the tuner, bad fuel and/or false knock going on in the logs, as suspected.
If it’s not the fuel, I have a suspicion that a leak at the header gasket could be a prime suspect.
Others have had similar issues, put it that way.
If so, it’s going to take a while to get back into the logging.
QA1 driveshaft arrives next week, I’ll just drop the exhaust and subframe, fit new diff bushes, new tailshaft, replace header gasket with OEM and see what happens from there.
@Burkey now that is a reply! Well done

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
For those wondering what the hell is taking so long...
The header gasket was “ok” a month ago. During that time it escalated a little!
OEM gaskets FTW.
6B70D468-4608-4D8D-85B9-E6D240D9B662.jpeg

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
And the guibo was having some issues, as was the centre bearing and the diff and the diff bushes.. you get the idea.
Should have some logs off to the tuner tomorrow afternoon, all going to plan.
Hopefully that’s the end of the false knock game.
5ACEA5F4-4D51-4BD9-B20F-2DE338ABD6FD.jpeg
9225C7C5-E1C5-448F-A25B-109EAFF3E70C.jpeg

Sponsored

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase
@Burkey I take it you're not easy on your car? :cwl:

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
More delays. Repairs complete, false knock persists although “better” (not the full 10* ALL the time at WOT).

Only 2 suspects left.

1. The extra torque of the Edelbrock might be twisting the engine more than the Whipple did, forcing the header to hit the steering column (RHD car). The headers clashed previously when the car was NA, and were “persuaded” to not clash. Ergo, there’s evidence of paint swap but unsure if new or old.
The fact that there’s no false knock when the car breaks traction is kind of lending itself to the engine twist idea.
Solution: painted the steering column to check for fresh paint swap.

2. Although IMO highly unlikely, it’s possible that the plastic cover over the bulkhead could make contact if the engine is twisting far enough. Whether this could/would cause false knock remains to be seen. Again, this is a RHD specific issue.

This is all happening despite using UPR street mounts (poly) rather than the stock engine mounts.
I may have to use Delrin at the top of RHD passengers side and bottom of our passengers side to prevent further clashing and retain some level of civility. If you’ve been in a car with Delrin engine mounts, you’ll know why I’d prefer to avoid it if possible.
Not ideal, but you do what you have to.

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase
Any evidence of contact with the coil covers? Mine clearanced itself out over the first few months against the cowl brace. Of course, I'm on stock mounts...

Dalton@Evolution

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dalton
Vehicle(s)
First 2020 GT500 In Da 9z
For those wondering what the hell is taking so long...
The header gasket was “ok” a month ago. During that time it escalated a little!
OEM gaskets FTW.
6B70D468-4608-4D8D-85B9-E6D240D9B662.jpeg
Use only Ford or Cometic Exhaust Manifold Gaskets.
Sponsored