2020 GT500 Curb Weight and Dimensions Released

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
All of this bitching about weight, and people seem to be forgetting what really matters.

1. Is the GT500 faster in the ¼ mile and around a track (by significant margin) than the Zl1?
If the answer to this questions is yes, then it’s a success.

1. Is the GT500 carbon package faster around the track than the Zl1 1LE?
Again, if yes…success.

The weight is only a number people. Stop acting like the car will be a failure if it fails to be under 4000 lbs.

One more thing to consider. The Zl1 1LE has a race suspension and rides like absolute dog shit anywhere except for the track. Both GT500 options are going to be far superior in drivability than the ZL1 1LE.

We already know the GT500 will be faster in the ¼ mile than the ZL1. We also know it will likely have a far superior 0-100-0 performance. Does anyone have any idea what kind of advantage you have when you are able to break later into a corner on the track?
For the price difference, if a regular GT500 doesn't leave the ZL1/1LE in the dust around a corner and a straight line its a fail. Engineer logic, always include cost in the equation.
Sponsored

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
I dissgree about the coolers. GM sold the ZL1 with coolers. And at a price point equql to the shelbys. There supposed to be track cars. They should be track capable.
What is "equql"? What is dissgree? How can we take your opinions seriously if you can't even spell? Shelby is spelled with a capital "S" and "They're" meaning they are supposed to be track cars not "there" supposed to be track cars. Mommy and daddy were too impoverished to buy you school books as a child? There is no way anyone should take what you say about cars seriously!

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
I don't understand how people are shocked and dissapointed in regards to the Shelby GT500's weight. Ford didn't fool us. The Shelby GT500 is still an S500 mustang and the only weight saving items they promised were the drive shaft, the wheels on the CFTP version, the seat delete on the CFTP version and the radiator support like on the GT 350. When you add in the supercharger, bigger rotors, bigger brakes, additional coolers and etc...I am not surprised the car is 400lbs more than a Mustang GT. People expect the GT500 to be a super car and do everything at a low price and that is not realistic. Until we see all the performance statistics we can't in all fairness say much about the car. Like my friend bluebeastsrt so astutely stated I am not going to race the car and it will be in one of my garages for most of the time so I made the decision to buy the car before the performance specs are available. Don't put the GT500 down until you have the whole picture. I have seen fat people that could dance rings around others and the GT500 may do just the same.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
What is "equql"? What is dissgree? How can we take your opinions seriously if you can't even spell? Shelby is spelled with a capital "S" and "They're" meaning they are supposed to be track cars not "there" supposed to be track cars. Mommy and daddy were too impoverished to buy you school books as a child? There is no way anyone should take what you say about cars seriously!
You sound like such a bitch , you have to know it.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
For the price difference, if a regular GT500 doesn't leave the ZL1/1LE in the dust around a corner and a straight line its a fail. Engineer logic, always include cost in the equation.
I don't disagree with this...although it's not engineering logic. It's bean-counter logic. That's not to say it won't sell either way.

If the GT500 is slower in a straight line, it's a fail. If the Carbon pack is slower around the track, it's a fail. I think everyone can agree on this. Do you know what's not a fail? If the GT500 is heavier than the ZL1.

Sponsored

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
Well, the Ford GT, a supercar, weighs 3,053 lbs. It is heavy by supercar standards but it is not by any means slow. Every weight put on the car has a purpose: to make it go faster around a track. GT500 will be the same. It will be quick and it'll be sick.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Well, the Ford GT, a supercar, weighs 3,053 lbs. It is heavy by supercar standards but it is not by any means slow. Every weight put on the car has a purpose: to make it go faster around a track. GT500 will be the same. It will be quick and it'll be sick.
Ford GTs are realistically 3,400lbs full of fuel. The same as a GT2RS or 488 Pista. The C7 Z06 is 3,500lbs and a GT3 RS or 458 Speciale are 3,300lbs.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Check your numbers on the GT. it’s heavier than anticipated and ford confessed to that, however they made it faster IN A TRACK setting with the additional hydraulics and aero.

GT is closer to 3400. 3381 according to Car and Driver.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15716810/ford-gt-full-test-of-the-blue-oval-supercar-review/

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I dont think Ford has hit a weight target with the S550 yet. Remember the 15 GT was supposed to be lighter than the S197?

Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Maybe they just added ballast to keep the competition happy.
We dont know how well the GT500 will do at the track, it has some heft to it, the big ass brakes slows the car down fast AF sure, but what about after multiple laps? The heaviest car we know of that is good at the track is the ZL1 1LE. So maybe this new GT500 will be the same, but up to this point we dont know how a 4100lb car will do.
btw, if you've done any road course driving its the light cars that can late brake. Miatas were late braking at the top of laguna seca while I had to brake 25-40 feet before they did in my viper. My viper is in the low 33xxlbs.

We know GT500 isnt a track car, thats what the GT350R is for, but people claim it will beat a ZL1 1LE without any evidence. Too soon junior.
Actually we do know one thing and that is you can run the tank dry over and again and it'll still keep performing at a level most here would shit their pants at.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
What the majority of people actually paid for them? The Camaro was probably cheaper. GM cant pull off the ADM thing on a Camaro.
Which means the Ford Performance products are more desirable and sort after.

The fact is they made the track pack an option and then in one post you talk about price being cheaper with Camaro but in this post you say Camaro cannot attract a mark ups like the Shelbys can. That is actually quite funny. You just defeated your own argument.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
The GT350 was the most track capable mustang ever...when you got the track pack. I really don't understand why people go so upset at this. People were too cheap to buy the track pack and then sued Ford because their non track optioned car overheated. Of course, they could have put on a cheap cooler and fixed their issues, but nope...easier to sue.
If you're going to put a name on the side of a car that says GT350, it better be track capable from the base line model start. The fact that Ford made it an up charge for the "Track Pack" is a disingenuous disgrace to themselves and Mr. Shelby.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Which means the Ford Performance products are more desirable and sort after.

The fact is they made the track pack an option and then in one post you talk about price being cheaper with Camaro but in this post you say Camaro cannot attract a mark ups like the Shelbys can. That is actually quite funny. You just defeated your own argument.
I don’t recall having an argument? I also don’t recall ever saying the Shelby’s weren’t more desirable than a Camaro. I simply stated a track car should be track capable. Ford stated the GT350 was the most track capable mustang ever built. They didn’t put a disclaimer on it. (Only if you buy the track pack) When they released it. So In short. If GM can build a fully track capable base car on the first try. Then I see no reason why Ford couldn’t also do it? Weird concept huh?
Sponsored

Last edited: