Let's talk about the C8 vs the GT500

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
What exactly does the GT500 have that the Corvette doesn't?

1LT Z51: Diff cooler? Check. ELSD? GT500 doesn't even have that. Sport 4Ss? Check. DCT? Check + an extra gear. Digital cluster? Check. Full screen infotainment center? Check.

There is NOTHING that the GT500 has that would make you NEED a GT500 over a Corvette (you know, other than that snake badge for the fanboys)

It's a simple indication that the Corvette (as I stated) will likely be more capable of slipping through the air and overcoming aerodynamic drag, contrary to what some on this thread have implied. I'd wager that the reason for the limiter was because the car would hit 187 with aero drag, so Ford covered their ass and said it's "electronically limited to 185" so it wouldn't seem like such a brick. But I suppose we'll just wait and see

"Man, that $60k car looks and performs like a $200k car! That definitely means it sucks!" said no reasonable person ever
Forget about the GT500, here people still believe GT350 is a better pick over a 1lt Z51 C8. Because its so rare and makes it more desirable with the huge ADM prices. What are you talking about
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Forget about the GT500, here people still believe GT350 is a better pick over a 1lt Z51 C8. Because its so rare and makes it more desirable with the huge ADM prices. What are you talking about
It's a better pick for some, absolutely. There is no one size fits all here. The GT350 has things the C8 will never have...and will always be more collectible (for those that care). There is a reason it came in second for the BDC in 2016.

People choose different cars for different reason. If performance was the sole factor, the GT350 wouldn't currently exist.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
400 extra rwhp is going to translate into additional speed lol.
Yeah, you know, except 0-60, or top speed, or anything important... right?

How about rear seats? Or a better 1/4 mile? Or more powa? How about a car that isn't synonymous with mid life crisis?
Track pack doesn't have rear seats. Better 1/4 is still debatable. More "powa" means nothing when it can't get to the ground. And if you REALLY think a Shelby doesn't represent a mid-life crisis... well, you're just as delusional as the average Shelby fanboy

You do realize the GT500 is going to walk the corvette from a roll right?
Oh, so in 1 measure that's variable depending on vehicle speed, wind speed, gear ratios, etc. the GT500 will win... Christ, you're starting to sound like the Ecoboost guys with their half throttle stoplight racing LMAO

Can't wait for a meltdown on this forum when lap times come out (not 0-60 or 1/4 mile).
Nah, they're just going to brush it off and act like their inferior car is the greatest shit on earth... just like they're doing now

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Yes it will be faster 0-60 with slicks at the strip, same place the c8 is measured. C8 wont do below 3 seconds on the street and I have my doubts about on the track too especially with street tires. And yes the gt500 will decimate the c8 in the 1/4 mile, especially with similar $ in mods. Gt500 with 3k in mods (pulley tune) will trap 20 mph more than the c8 it will literally run it down and rip its face off easily. Gt500 also has a ton more aero and will be faster on tracks that make use of power, maybe not pussy assed autocross parking lot cone racing. Roll racing will be hilarious.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
So, a supercharger that doesn't translate to ANY additional speed and is only good for d**k measuring dyno numbers is worth $35k?

Yep, that's exactly the caliber of people that are still buying GT500s. They'll all be cars & coffee queens
I am on the c8 bandwagon like you but I still think the gt500 is a stellar car. Yes it's very fat and that sucks, yes it's very expensive too, but those two things aside it does have everything we have been wanting. It's going to be a fun car to own and drive. What intrigues me is that Ford is touting t
It's ability to perform multiple laps without heatsoak. Finally they have learned from Dodge that cooking matters.

Again the gt500 has it's flaws, but it has a lot of strengths. C8 as well. Both will be amazing cars and I can't wait to see how it all plays out.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
How about rear seats? Or a better 1/4 mile? Or more powa? How about a car that isn't synonymous with mid life crisis?

You do realize the GT500 is going to walk the corvette from a roll right?
We don't know 1/4 mile times yet so that's speculation. Seriously, rear seats is not an argument, it's a crutch. I could argue that if you want rear seats buy a charger hellcat. The front engine I agree is the mid life crisis car, but the midengine layout is not going to be looked at that way. How many people under the age of 45 do you think have always wanted a midengine but couldn't afford one? Yes this will be looked at as the poor man's Ferrari but so what, that's not a bad title to have. The c8 is not a mid life crisis car, its an opportunity to chase your dreams when other cars of this nature are out of reach

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it will be faster 0-60 with slicks at the strip, same place the c8 is measured. C8 wont do below 3 seconds on the street and I have my doubts about on the track too especially with street tires. And yes the gt500 will decimate the c8 in the 1/4 mile, especially with similar $ in mods. Gt500 with 3k in mods (pulley tune) will trap 20 mph more than the c8 it will literally run it down and rip its face off easily. Gt500 also has a ton more aero and will be faster on tracks that make use of power, maybe not pussy assed autocross parking lot cone racing. Roll racing will be hilarious.
If we're going to be talking about similar total costs...you better prepare for a supercharged or turbo C8 to destroy the GT500. Base for base, the C8 has $10k for mod money right away. With the price disparity, it's hard to argue about with money on just mods.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If we're going to be talking about similar total costs...you better prepare for a supercharged or turbo C8 to destroy the GT500. Base for base, the C8 has $10k for mod money right away. With the price disparity, it's hard to argue about with money on just mods.
lt2 has same rods and pistons as LT1 and will max out at 650-700 without building the engine. Going over 700 is going to be risky or require a built engine making it add up to like 20k+ of mods.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Who cares about top speed...really. It's nothing but fanboy propaganda. It's only a talking point if it were detrimental to an actual (legal) race...which none are going to max out with the exception of some odd mile events.

Track pack doesn't have rear seats. Better 1/4 is still debatable. More "powa" means nothing when it can't get to the ground. And if you REALLY think a Shelby doesn't represent a mid-life crisis... well, you're just as delusional as the average Shelby fanboy
Yes, you can option them in or put them in aftermarket. Again, this is important to many...which is why pony cars exist.

As for mid life crisis, nothing compares to the corvette. I'm sorry to say, it's hands down the road.

Again, not I'm not saying the Gt500 wouldn't be, but it's equally as much a collectors car. The corvette...not so much.

Oh, so in 1 measure that's variable depending on vehicle speed, wind speed, gear ratios, etc. the GT500 will win... Christ, you're starting to sound like the Ecoboost guys with their half throttle stoplight racing LMAO
You mean, the biggest measure that nearly all car guys measure against others? You're right, let's pretend 1/4 mile isn't important anymore. Why don't you also tell all of the illegal street racers that roll races don't count.

I think the c8 will dip below on the street. The weight here really does matter.
And yes, it's going to destroy the corvette from a roll.

I am on the c8 bandwagon like you but I still think the gt500 is a stellar car. Yes it's very fat and that sucks, yes it's very expensive too, but those two things aside it does have everything we have been wanting. It's going to be a fun car to own and drive. What intrigues me is that Ford is touting t
It's ability to perform multiple laps without heatsoak. Finally they have learned from Dodge that cooking matters.

Again the gt500 has it's flaws, but it has a lot of strengths. C8 as well. Both will be amazing cars and I can't wait to see how it all plays out.
Again, why does being fat matter if it can outperform?

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
lt2 has same rods and pistons as LT1 and will max out at 650-700 without building the engine. Going over 700 is going to be risky or require a built engine making it add up to like 20k+ of mods.
Then it will be at parity in total price with the GT500...

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Then it will be at parity in total price with the GT500...
sounds about right, so the c8 needs 20k of mods to match or beat the gt500 in a straight line. ALso will have vastly worse resale. Very few people will do this I think most buyers are going to be retiree's keeping it stock who have no needs for a backseat or can afford having multiple cars.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
600 to 625 hp on a c8 puts it in the same hp/weight territory as the gt500. Remember the gt500 is going to be around 600 lbs heavier.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
600 to 625 hp on a c8 puts it in the same hp/weight territory as the gt500. Remember the gt500 is going to be around 600 lbs heavier.
pulley e85 and tune on the gt500 though. probably 950 hp for like 3-4k$

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Again, why does being fat matter if it can outperform?
First we do not know yet which outperforms which. Show me one person that loves performance cars and doesn't care about weight? Even Carol Shebly knew that weight is an enemy of performance. Also you missed my point, perhaps reread what I posted
Sponsored