Sponsored

Let's talk about the C8 vs the GT500

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ford doesn't care about the sales for the GT350 and GT350R anyway. They sell regular mustangs like hot cakes. Mustang GT is still the best bang for the buck. Most people look for performance per price point since money doesn't grow on trees. GT350 becomes even less and less desirable with the current competition offerings. Ford won't budge as long as they have the regular mustang sales.
Less and less desirable, huh? You are so biased you can't see reality at all. The GT350 and GT350R have been a huge success and they are very desirable. Very few changes in 5 years of production and still selling easily with some (few now, but still some) dealers even now after 5 years asking for more than MSRP.
Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Less and less desirable, huh? You are so biased you can't see reality at all. The GT350 and GT350R have been a huge success and they are very desirable. Very few changes in 5 years of production and still selling easily with some (few now, but still some) dealers even now after 5 years asking for more than MSRP.
GT350-R and only R version was a success when GM was selling the Gen 5 Z28 Camaro for $75,000 way back in the day. It's era has been over since the Gen 6 camaro and C7 Corvette came out. Now the C8 being out and no significant performance increase on the GT350, it is a really tough game. People will most likely go for a base GT500 even though the weight is up quite a bit instead of the GT350. GT350 became the unwanted and undesirable child of Ford. I don't know why you can't see the reality.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
LOL. Dealers are looking for wealthy idiots who don't mind paying more than the MSRP. That doesn't make the car more desirable. In fact, that makes it less desirable and a disgrace on Ford's name and reputation.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
So I’ve had a pretty decent day so far.

Spent a little bit of time talking to Ed Piatek and Tim Kuniskis before their big tent pre-Woodward Cruise event. L -> R John McElroy, Ed Piatek, Carl Widmann, Tim Kuniskis, Jeff Gilbert. Jeff Gilbert is WWJ’s car guy. John McElroy is the host of Autoline.tv. I expect this may air on Autoline.tv soon.
9FEA997C-53B8-493D-BDCA-193BD6F6A93A.jpeg

Ed clarified his statement on C8 Z51 vs C7 Z06. What he actually said was “on a number of performance measure” but the Corvette blogger he was talking to reported it as all measures. He said that they sent him a corrected statement and the guy published it on his blog (I haven’t seen it, but I haven’t looked hard for it yet either). When I asked him which measures he said “0-60 for sure” and before he could say anything else, the PR guy that stayed glued to his side said that everything else was still in development. I asked about 1/4 mile and track times but Ed deflected those, I think because of the PR guy. I had to leave in the middle of the event, so I’m sure I missed some really cool discussions. I’ll have to follow up with some of my moles.

Before the event started, Tim, John McElroy and I were chatting about the future of performance engines. Tim said something that leads me to believe that we will soon see Hemis with electric assist. My favorite Tim quote from the event... “there’s more than 2,000 hp sitting over there in those three cars”. Whodathunk we’d be saying that 10 years ago?

8AF1CD42-1B67-4857-AF39-1CF1CF887BA0.jpeg
D2CE0156-E956-48AC-8768-241E68898854.jpeg
AEA18048-D0CC-4D36-BF6E-1987CDADDABF.jpeg
56A0E434-5A53-4D64-9DB7-DED4576B31E9.jpeg
379E819E-1624-45D0-A4B0-B88B8B8B4B98.jpeg

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
So, Corvette has also been officially said to be capable of hitting 194, higher than that of the GT500, meaning the C8 will likely pull harder at speeds where drag becomes a factor... who STILL thinks the GT500 is going to be the performance bargain over the C8?? LMAO

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
So, Corvette has also been officially said to be capable of hitting 194, higher than that of the GT500, meaning the C8 will likely pull harder at speeds where drag becomes a factor... who STILL thinks the GT500 is going to be the performance bargain over the C8?? LMAO

Right, I'll remember that then next roll race I do from 130 to 190 mph on the street.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
So, Corvette has also been officially said to be capable of hitting 194, higher than that of the GT500, meaning the C8 will likely pull harder at speeds where drag becomes a factor...
'slip' thru the air is better than 'pull' (aka bull) it's way thru air. Without the factory limiter the GT500 might well be able to match 194 but I suspect there's very good reason why Ford put a cap on things. If top speed delta of a measily amount is your make or break it criteria, IMHO there is something wrong with you. But it is your money...

If it weren't for the Chevy badge, would anyone not think they were looking at a Ferrari from 10 paces?

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
'slip' thru the air is better than 'pull' (aka bull) it's way thru air. Without the factory limiter the GT500 might well be able to match 194 but I suspect there's very good reason why Ford put a cap on things. If top speed delta of a measily amount is your make or break it criteria, IMHO there is something wrong with you. But it is your money...

If it weren't for the Corvette badge, would anyone not think they were looking at a Ferrari from 10 paces?
Nit picky? Maybe. But Corvette has never had a Chevrolet badge. Not even in 1953. And I don’t mind it looking like a Ferrari anymore than people looking at a Fusion might think “Aston Martin”. Better to be mistaken “up-market” than “down-market”.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
And many people are going to want to step up from the base interior package. That's the thing - some fanbois want to pretend that the base price C8 has all the features to beat the GT500 on the track. I would be very surprised if that turns out to be true.
What exactly does the GT500 have that the Corvette doesn't?

1LT Z51: Diff cooler? Check. ELSD? GT500 doesn't even have that. Sport 4Ss? Check. DCT? Check + an extra gear. Digital cluster? Check. Full screen infotainment center? Check.

There is NOTHING that the GT500 has that would make you NEED a GT500 over a Corvette (you know, other than that snake badge for the fanboys)

It's a simple indication that the Corvette (as I stated) will likely be more capable of slipping through the air and overcoming aerodynamic drag, contrary to what some on this thread have implied. I'd wager that the reason for the limiter was because the car would hit 187 with aero drag, so Ford covered their ass and said it's "electronically limited to 185" so it wouldn't seem like such a brick. But I suppose we'll just wait and see

If it weren't for the Chevy badge, would anyone not think they were looking at a Ferrari from 10 paces?
"Man, that $60k car looks and performs like a $200k car! That definitely means it sucks!" said no reasonable person ever

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
What exactly does the GT500 have that the Corvette doesn't?

1LT Z51: Diff cooler? Check. ELSD? GT500 doesn't even have that. Sport 4Ss? Check. DCT? Check + an extra gear. Digital cluster? Check. Full screen infotainment center? Check.

There is NOTHING that the GT500 has that would make you NEED a GT500 over a Corvette (you know, other than that snake badge for the fanboys)
GT500 has a supercharger, much more easy hp and higher max HP potential for probably all components. I bet the engine , cooling systems fuel system and drivetrain can take 400rwhp more than the lt2.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
GT500 has a supercharger, much more easy hp and higher max HP potential for probably all components. I bet the engine , cooling systems and drivetrain can take 400rwhp more than the lt2.
So, a supercharger that doesn't translate to ANY additional speed and is only good for d**k measuring dyno numbers is worth $35k?

Yep, that's exactly the caliber of people that are still buying GT500s. They'll all be cars & coffee queens

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
So, a supercharger that doesn't translate to ANY additional speed and is only good for d**k measuring dyno numbers is worth $35k?

Yep, that's exactly the caliber of people that are still buying GT500s. They'll all be cars & coffee queens
400 extra rwhp is going to translate into additional speed lol.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
How about rear seats? Or a better 1/4 mile? Or more powa? How about a car that isn't synonymous with mid life crisis?

You do realize the GT500 is going to walk the corvette from a roll right?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
LOL. Dealers are looking for wealthy idiots who don't mind paying more than the MSRP. That doesn't make the car more desirable. In fact, that makes it less desirable and a disgrace on Ford's name and reputation.
I see you are rigid and don't consider the facts. I'm glad to have an "ignore" button.