Installed a Velossa Tech Big Mouth

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi

I have done an install video for the ones interested. However that is not the big point the point is does it give any performance gains....
Unfortunately in the first video I wont cover the performance parts as I did not have the time to do any runs with the big mouth installed.

However I am working on a video with runs with my Dragy. All I can say it is positive :D
For now I will post a video on how to install it once you have the bumper off the car (there are other videos showing that)

Sponsored

TRPCANA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
interested, but i remember reading that PMAS did testing and found that these actually decrease performance due to disrupting airflow to the filter. Either way all ive been able to find so far is just testimonials that allow for placebo to be all they are feeling, havent seen any real world data such as before and after track runs, maf flow rates, etc.

OP
OP
Mazman

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
It's going to be unscientific as the weather is not same etc. Unfortunately I had x-pipe before and did the runs with the velossa and H-pipe. But hopefully it should give something. The Dragy itself is dead on though

Did PMAS do these tests on a OEM box or on their own closed boxes?

interested, but i remember reading that PMAS did testing and found that these actually decrease performance due to disrupting airflow to the filter. Either way all ive been able to find so far is just testimonials that allow for placebo to be all they are feeling, havent seen any real world data such as before and after track runs, maf flow rates, etc.

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT - 10spd Auto, Performance Pack Lvl 1
Interesting. Would be good to see some flow data before/after for the MAF readings. I would note, if the big mouth is sitting inside the factor duct (wedged) then it by proxy is shrinking the overall area a bit since it has to be smaller to go inside.

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I've had one installed on my 18 for about a year now. Noticed the IAT drops a smidge faster and a degree or so cooler. Stock airbox and grill about 5-6 over ambient. Installed the big mouth and a Roush closed box intake and 4-5 over ambient now. Nothing earth shattering, but was a simple install and gave me something to tinker with on a weekend which is what these types of mods are all about.

Sponsored

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
What I would like to see is if when you are idling that you no longer get radiator backwash when the fans kick on.

I plan on getting the big mouth also and have the same Cervinis C Grilles too. I was looking on the Velossatech site and there are 2 versions. One for the stock GT grille and one for the RTR grille. Which one do I purchase for Cervinis C-series Grilles?

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
I got one to cover the small area exposed to radiator, but then shot myself in the foot with an open box CAI. I still get 4-5 degrees above ambient temp while cruising but will quickly climb at a stop.

All in all it's just cosmetic, I think it looks unique offset in my mmd v series grill but to each their own.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
The main thing you're probably getting is reducing the backwash from the radiator. That alone makes the Velossa tech worth it.

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt, 2018 f150 eb 3.5
Awesome! I’m interested.. I have one sitting in my trunk

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
They’re awesome, I would/will definitely buy them again - I’ve got a set left over from my ‘16 I either want to paint, or sell (they’re red, my new ride is Orange :D )

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mazman

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi

I have a new video up, watch to the end (I did run some more tests some days after the "main" testing to double check the results)
However what I need to mention is in previous measurements I had an X-pipe and no Cervinis grilles, the tests done with the big mouth are done with an H-pipe and Cervinis Grilles.
I am not sure if it is the weather, the H-pipe, the big mouth, the grilles or the combination but the results are impressive. As I wrote earlier I did some more testing some days after and the DA was actually worse but the results remained very similar.

Also with regards to IATs I am seeing the same as before which are around 2 degrees Celsius above ambient while rolling

Let me know if you have any questions

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
Cool vid Mazman.

No questions except how is living in Sweden like? PM if you want

Chers

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
The improvement to the IAT from the big mouth is primarily to be seen when sitting/idling. The IAT when the car is moving shouldn't be materially different than if you didn't have it because fresh air is coming in through the grille anyway.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I just carefully used a 1/2 drill bit (started hole w/ smaller bit) and opened up the grill in the honeycomb areas it was solid or blocked next to intake tube. Hard to see anything was even done to it. Probably worthless in the end, but it was a freebie.

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT - 10spd Auto, Performance Pack Lvl 1
The reason I didnt do the Velossatech was that it physically changes the shape of the inlet of the intake by proxy of form fitting into the OEM duct, lengthening it etc. Not sure how it impacts the airflow into the pipe/etc or the resonance and airflow within the OEM setup, but since the OEM one works great I just focused on more flow overall since at speed, air temps drop rapidly to ambient (in seconds) with sufficient flow incoming either way.

What I did instead is i removed the OEM pony and carefully trimmed out all but the silhouette (kind of like the camaro's flowtie on the Z/28 in 2014), as well as opening up all the honeycomb on the drivers side inside fang area and the other side of that fang too. What I can tell you is that this made a huge difference in throttle response and cooling efficiency for my car. I suspect the pony causes turbulence and air to be pushed up/away from the other grill inlets so once its gone and that is open inside, the overall flow is more direct and not as turbulent, of course including more air overall directly towards the OEM inlet area and through the middle of the honeycomb. I am one very happy camper with this done. :)

I call it, my Flow Pony, or Flowny for short lmao. Use a carbide bit drill (small, then medium, then large size bits) to drill center holes in each honeycomb. Then switch to a Dremel and use the gray metal grinder cone shaped tools and literally grind it out carefully. Once the plastic heats up the dremel will cut it like butter, hence the nice smooth cutout of the horse I did in about 1hr.

Link to info about this type of thing on the Z/28. Its not about the surface area but rather the disruption of airflow around the blocked off piece:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...eewIKE-ngcR9wE6jzqc8lb86cr6MrOlPA5C5W7lbV7Qyo

Pics (dirty car warning)!

111.jpg

And with highlights to where the honeycomb / pony were opened up. The rest I left closed for minimal drag/etc and because temps are well in control, no need to do more imo:

112.png
Sponsored