2018 Mustang GT A10 Whipple Stage 2 Engine Rod bent

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I know some people love slappin' blowers on stock Coyotes, but if I'm building an FI motor, it won't have cast pistons and a high CR and rev to the moon. These motors are not set up for blowers.
Sponsored

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah along the lines of calling every manufacturer and asking them if there stuff is safe on a stock engine. Every one of them will answer “heck yeah, what’s your credit card #”?
Kinda like the RV salesman telling you your 1/2 ton pickup will easily handle a fifth-wheel.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I know some people love slappin' blowers on stock Coyotes, but if I'm building an FI motor, it won't have cast pistons and a high CR and rev to the moon. These motors are not set up for blowers.
What are you talking about??? If any NA motor is set up from the factory for boost. It’s the coyote.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
These motors are not set up for blowers on 93 octane.

There fixed it for you.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
When it was said "the cylinder wall or the liner started to fail" I assume he knows that the Gen3 engines do not have a liner. Or is he referring to the Nikisil coating started to fail?

Also, it's said "The cylinder eventually hydro-locked" but how can an engine hydrolock unless there's a dump of fuel or water?? Was the OP spraying methanol injection and I missed it?

Sponsored

Ishyne22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP - 2016 F150 5.0 ST - 2004 Ram SRT10 - 2003 Brickyard Nissan 350z TP
When it was said "the cylinder wall or the liner started to fail" I assume he knows that the Gen3 engines do not have a liner. Or is he referring to the Nikisil coating started to fail?

Also, it's said "The cylinder eventually hydro-locked" but how can an engine hydrolock unless there's a dump of fuel or water?? Was the OP spraying methanol injection and I missed it?
Plasma transfer wire arc coating is still considered a liner. The cylinder hydro locked because the wall cracked allowing coolant into the cylinder.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Plasma transfer wire arc coating is still considered a liner. The cylinder hydro locked because the wall cracked allowing coolant into the cylinder.
It is usually head lift that lets coolant past the head gasket as it destroys it. Detonation can also achieve this but usually have other problems at that level.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
The only whipple 18's ive heard having problems have been on the whipple tune. Coyote car guy on youtube is another one that had a failure with the whipple tune. They dont datalog or anything, I would definitely get a custom tune if I was going FI. Ive seen PBD make 800+ many times and havent heard of problems

Ishyne22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP - 2016 F150 5.0 ST - 2004 Ram SRT10 - 2003 Brickyard Nissan 350z TP
It is usually head lift that lets coolant past the head gasket as it destroys it. Detonation can also achieve this but usually have other problems at that level.
... see post #31

Sponsored

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
Car made 630ish on 93 octane to the wheels. I was advised to update the OPG's, which I did. The teardown showed nothing wrong with the tune (Whipple can tune). Yes, you can run your car with the stock rods/pistons but it's a ticking timebomb, in my opinion. I've ordered a forged short-block and hope to have the car back up and running in a few weeks.

Also, it's advised to get away from the Whipple can tunes. Much of the information is locked and can only be viewed by Whipple. Spend the extra money and go with a custom tune.
Good advice right there!

Another thing to remember, hi compression ratio naturally aspirated engines are not designed for boost applications. Sure you can boost them, how long they last is another story!

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I wouldn’t bother boosting a coyote unless you were prepared to run e85. I couldn’t get my TT to run on 93 except with some ridiculously retarded timing to prevent KR.

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT - Whipple Auto
I have 42k on my car (35k has been running a whipple, big throttle body, 3.625" pulley, whipple canned tune). My engine is otherwise stock including opgs/timing gear. Car has been flawless so far. The one thing that will kill these engines with any blower is doing excessive, high speed runs. It's a sure way to bust the ringlands/pistons. As long as you don't put too much heat into the engine, it should live a good life.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I have 42k on my car (35k has been running a whipple, big throttle body, 3.625" pulley, whipple canned tune). My engine is otherwise stock including opgs/timing gear. Car has been flawless so far. The one thing that will kill these engines with any blower is doing excessive, high speed runs. It's a sure way to bust the ringlands/pistons. As long as you don't put too much heat into the engine, it should live a good life.
E85 helps keep temps down on high speed runs. If you plan on doing standing mile or half mile races I would definitely recommend e85. Actually I would recommend that all the time for everyone even if they are NA. I went 178 mph in my old 90k mile cts-v running e60 , no problems. That took a while full throttle.

Ishyne22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn’t bother boosting a coyote unless you were prepared to run e85. I couldn’t get my TT to run on 93 except with some ridiculously retarded timing to prevent KR.
E85 helps keep temps down on high speed runs. If you plan on doing standing mile or half mile races I would definitely recommend e85. Actually I would recommend that all the time for everyone even if they are NA. I went 178 mph in my old 90k mile cts-v running e60 , no problems. That took a while full throttle.
No E85 around these parts... I run water/meth... stage 2 Whipple can tune.
Sponsored