Sponsored

Rust dust after washing.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I just say F it and never wash my wheels lol. as long as they are uniformly dirty its ok
Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
After washing I drive it around the neighborhood and perform 3-5 hard stops from 50-60mph and it dries them off.

Side benefit is the water stuck in the body panel joints drip loose and I dry them up.

OP
OP
Nfs1000f

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Since my original post, I realized shortly afterward that my original idea of using the heat gun was stupid. Way too much time. I just accept the fact that owning a GT350 means having to have dirty wheels either from the dust of the pads, or the rust off the rotors after a wash.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
What brand and how much for all 4?
RacingBrake. They reduce the overall unsprung weight by 45#, 32# off the front axle.

Expensive if you just get them for looks and low dust. If you track them, the pads last and last and last, and so do the rotors.

Sagittaria

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
Drove me nuts too. Ceramic coated my wheels and added G-LOC GS1 pads. Solves two issues:

1. The rust has a much harder time sticking after a wash. I typically go for a short drive and when I come back I blow off what did accumulate with an air compressor.
2. The wheels stay "shiny" for 1-2 weeks rather than say... less than a day. There is still a surprising amount of dust buildup inevitable with performance pads on a performance car. But actually tolerable in my book.

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
thats because the rotors are made of different materials. iron(gt350) vs carbon ceramic(z28)
I wondered who the first would be to state that fact - LOL

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
i've read on bimmer forums and rennlist guys who drive the car wet for about 3-5 mins, and mostly seems to work for them.
Thanks for this tip! Washed the car today and jumped in it as soon as it was thoroughly rinsed off. Made a quick trip around the block, 30-35MPH with some moderate steady braking, then pulled into the garage to dry her. What a difference! Only a fraction of the rust I was used to seeing! :like:

Sponsored

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
interested to see how it works for you...
ok, so i tried the Dry Coat Rust Preventative today. and this thing WORKS! very easy, just spray it on after cleaning the wheels and hosing off everything, while rotors are still wet. that's it. totally touchless. it dried without rust and after taking it for a 30 min drive, wheels are pretty clean (light brake dust but nothing like the rotor rust i have been getting everytime i wash the car). very very very happy with this product. this is how it dried...

20190813_184428ed.jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
ok, so i tried the Dry Coat Rust Preventative today. and this thing WORKS! very easy, just spray it on after cleaning the wheels and hosing off everything, while rotors are still wet. that's it. totally touchless. it dried without rust and after taking it for a 30 min drive, wheels are pretty clean (light brake dust but nothing like the rotor rust i have been getting everytime i wash the car). very very very happy with this product. this is how it dried...

20190813_184428ed.jpg

Interesting... I wonder if that product would work to stop the factory GT or EB PP rear calipers from getting rust stains on them from the anti rattle clips or caliper retaining hardware?

Is it safe for any rim surface, since it has to be sprayed on the parts when wet?

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting... I wonder if that product would work to stop the factory GT or EB PP rear calipers from getting rust stains on them from the anti rattle clips or caliper retaining hardware?

Is it safe for any rim surface, since it has to be sprayed on the parts when wet?
if it rusts, i assume it'll work. i'd give it a try for $10 (amazon). definitely worth it for me. finally got my answer to this nagging problem.

J-Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Ford Performance Blue K1992

20190813_184428ed.jpg
FANTASTIC! Thanks Lightrules for the feedback! Looks great...can't beat that for $10 bucks!!
Sponsored