IRS with swaybar?

GarRtr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gar
Vehicle(s)
Total babe
Can you use a swaybar with irs? What's the pros/cons?
Sponsored

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Pretty much every car with IRS have sway bars as well, S550 included. A sway bar acts as a torsional spring to help control the up-down motion of the hub/wheel assembly in a way that's connects both sides together, thus help regulate body roll. The bar itself is attached to the chassis and the ends are connected to the hub assembly. It really doesn't matter what the suspension configuration is, a sway bar is applicable if the chassis engineers want to use it.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
FWIW, Ford refers to them as "stabilizer bars" (interchangeable term) in their various marketing info for the Mustang. Perhaps that's why you didn't notice the S550 has one...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
In a front engine/rear drive car with at least sporty intentions you pretty much have to, because the compromises involved with designing a suitable IRS without a rear stabilizer bar are less desirable.

Ford's use of the term "stabilizer bar" is industry standard nomenclature. You may see it shortened to something like "sta-bar". Near as I can tell, using "sway bar" (or possibly "anti-sway bar) as a synonym for "stabilizer bar" either originated with ADDCO back in the 1960's or was popularized mainly by ADDCO around that time. Roland deMarcellus' company.

A real "sway bar" has more to do with towing trailers than sports cars and corners.

Norm

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
Really, it's normally called an Anti-Roll Bar, at least where I come from.

Sponsored

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Your current vehicle has independent suspension and stabilizer bars. It does not matter which end of the vehicle drives the vehicle.

M3hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Do you think that the adjustable swaybars that we have on our '10-'14 Mustangs, could be used on the '15 Mustang?. I have Strano bars that I bought recently, that I will like to move to my next '15.
Sponsored