question re red caliper covers

rocky5517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sam
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer 67 riviera
Looking at the new American Muscle catalogue, on p 75 they have a series of red caliper covers. But two of them are apparently for 19" wheels only and mine are stock 18" The third set, the one with the Mustang logo with the tri-bars, says " 15-19 Standard
EcoBoost/V6. I spoke to someone there who said the third set will work with 4 piston brakes but not 6 pistons. To make things more confusing they're all the same price.
Any suggestions?
Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Don’t do it. Caliper covers look like crap. If you want red brakes paint yours or get a set of Bullitt calipers.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
One of the things calipers must do well is dissipate heat. I think caliper covers might interfere with that function. When I see them on a car I think, "Nice try, but wide of the mark".

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Caliper covers look cheap and tacky. Don't do it.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Okay...
37x3b9.jpg

Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
They'll render your pony ineligible for future stud service [<sarcasm font>]

Festivus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT CS
Not sure I understand all the hate on caliper covers. When it comes to mustangs there are lots of cosmetic mods which include things like fake hood scoops, fake side scoops, etc. Those kind of things are ok but caliper covers are not? Makes no sense...

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Don't use caliper covers, they all look like cheap vinyl plastic and trap dust and heat.

Get yourself some G2 caliper paint, use a jack to take off your wheel, mask off the surrounding area and apply 3 coats, the results are fantastic and long lasting.

I did it to my car and haven't had one problem yet, I even put on some mustang decals to finish it off.
IMG_7825.JPG

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Not sure I understand all the hate on caliper covers. When it comes to mustangs there are lots of cosmetic mods which include things like fake hood scoops, fake side scoops, etc. Those kind of things are ok but caliper covers are not? Makes no sense...
No, they all look bad. But this thread is about caliper covers.

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
Not a fan, as the rest. Here are a few I've painted over the years.
caa.jpg
sdss.PNG
sssss.PNG
www.PNG

Sponsored

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
No, I think those all look terrible too lol.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
They're all unacceptable including caliper covers. And here's the even more tragic part about caliper covers. You buy caliper covers for a look. But go up to any average person and ask them if they know what a brake caliper is and they'll look at you like you're from another galaxy. The only people who would notice would be those who do know and they'll know better. It's a lose lose.

OP
OP
rocky5517

rocky5517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sam
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer 67 riviera
Didn't realize it was such a touchy subject. But I ordered them anyway'. My car is Magnetic, stock wheels (black) no black roof or anything. I changed the emblem from chrome 5.0 to black, and installed a black Pony on the grill. Just thought a touch of red would liven things up. If I don't like them, off they go. But I agree painting is the way to go. IF I like the red.Will keep all of you posted.

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
Personally, I like them and have a custom competition orange set of MGP's on my Mustang. I like it and that's all that matters:)

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Didn't realize it was such a touchy subject.
I mean to a lot of people it's basically the same as throwing an M3 badge on a 328i (or in our case a 5.0 badge on an Ecoboost).

They're meant to cover up smaller brake calipers and give the illusion that someone spent the money on a BBK.
Sponsored