Vehicle Service History

Daily5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ingot Silver Mustang GT Premium 401A PP1
I am interested in a CPO 2018 Mustang GT that is at a Ford dealer that is 6 hours away from me so I cannot go easily look at it. In looking at the CarFax, the vehicle has had two owners. The first owner had the car for six months and put approximately 3700 miles on it, then the second owner had it for 2 months and put 1100 miles on it. It seems odd to have two owners only keep that car for that short of time. I asked the dealer to see if they could run the car's VIN# through their service department and give me a copy of the service work that may have been done to the vehicle. My fear is that there is something wrong with this car that the dealer could never fix right. The dealer told me that they cannot look up old service records based on a VIN number. Does anyone know if this is true? Seems to me that Ford would have service records for anything ever done in a Ford Service Department to any vehicle that has been entered into the system, especially for warranty work. Am I just being blown off, or are they possibly hiding something about the history.
Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Blown off they should have no issues providing service records. I'd avoid. If its a good price its probably for a reason.

Then again you still have lots left on even the base factory warranty. So if you know a local dealer that does good work that could go a long way.

OP
OP

Daily5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Blown off they should have no issues providing service records. I'd avoid. If its a good price its probably for a reason.

Then again you still have lots left on even the base factory warranty. So if you know a local dealer that does good work that could go a long way.
Price isn't what it would need to be, the vehicle was just spec'd the way I want it. Plenty of warranty but if it is in the shop all the time who cares.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Sounds like a lemon, stay away. Find another car. When someone turns in a lemon, the manufacturers (ford, chevy, dodge, etc.) typically dump it in another state at least a few states away, makes it harder to find out the history and harder to track down the original owner to ask them what was wrong. It's just a game of hot potato to them.

OP
OP

Daily5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like a lemon, stay away. Find another car. When someone turns in a lemon, the manufacturers (ford, chevy, dodge, etc.) typically dump it in another state at least a few states away, makes it harder to find out the history and harder to track down the original owner to ask them what was wrong. It's just a game of hot potato to them.
That was my thinking. My fear is that the first owner should have lemon lawed it, but didn't...second owner couldn't so dumped it quick.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Or maybe there is nothing wrong with the car and you're just being paranoid. Just playing devils advocate. First off did you find out where this car originally was sold. If it was at the current selling dealer getting the records shouldn't be too difficult. Maybe speak to the service manager if you haven't already. If the car was purchased elsewhere, find out where. Then contact them. All i'm saying is if this is the car you want do some extra legwork on it. It might all work out.

On the other hand, it might be a piece of shit and you should run away from it as fast as you can.:shock:

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
I've always gotten service records on used car from dealer.so they're bsing you.ask if you could contact previous owner.ive done that too,but the owner called me after dealer called them.if you have friends that are cops.see if they'll run the vin to find previous owners that you could contact.to me if they won't show you the records,they're hiding something from you.they can easily contact the selling dealer and get the info.good luck.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
They can 100% look up the service history performed at any Ford dealer with the VIN#.

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
Just go to any Ford dealer and have them run an Oasis report

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just go to any Ford dealer and have them run an Oasis report

This ^^^

The OASIS will bring up the entire warranty/service history providing the car was serviced at any Ford Dealership. It will also note if the VIN was Lemon’d through a Ford Buy Back. It will also show if the warranty has been voided by Ford OR if there’s an attached Ford ESP Warranty in place. The OASIS has a lot of info and the Dealership can run it.

Just tell the Sales guy you’re gonna buy elsewhere because you don’t appreciate dealing with liars.

OP
OP

Daily5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all of the replies...I will look into the OASIS report.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I lot of people do their own oil changes like myself. Those are not gonna show on carfax nor oasis... lol.

OP
OP

Daily5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
I lot of people do their own oil changes like myself. Those are not gonna show on carfax nor oasis... lol.
I was not concerned about routine maintenance. I was just wanting to see if there was reoccurring warranty issues that would point to this being a lemon or a future lemon.
Sponsored