AWE exhaust drone problem

songangchen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premuim
I bought a AWE Touring Exhaust(quad tips) for my 2017 mustang gt.
And the exhaust has extremely loud drone after 1500rpm+. i've heard the AWE exhaust has great drone reduction and that's why i bought it. Does anyone knows how the fix it? It really bothered me...
Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
And the exhaust has extremely loud drone after 1500rpm+. i've heard the AWE exhaust has great drone reduction and that's why i bought it. Does anyone knows how the fix it? It really bothered me...
You could try adding additional resonator like Magnaflow true x but drone is typically caused at the muffler so this may reduce it but may not eliminate. This would also affect volume and tone though.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
Wow, I have not had that issue or experience with mine at all. Are you running stock exhaust otherwise?

I can hear the exhaust on the highway, more than I was expecting, but it's pleasant.

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
Something is not installed correctly. You perhaps don’t have something clamped down correctly. The touring exhaust does not drone. Period. Take your car to an exhaust shop and have them look over your install

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Competition Orange GT - PP/Recaros
Likewise with no drone, touring as well.

Check the install. If not resolved I would reach out to AWE, potentially got a faulty muffler or something if that could be a thing.

Sponsored

tyguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Mine is perfect as well, something has to be wrong. Im huge on having an exhaust with no drone too.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I feel your pain!

Honestly, when I had the CJPP / SVE axle back on my convertible it was unbearable.

I switched to the AWE Touring and its been pure bliss! I’m thinking something isn’t right with yours. I’d reach out to AWE. They have their no drone warranty and I’m sure would refund / replace it.

I cannot speak highly enough of the sound! I had reservations based on seeing them
In person and the size of the “mufflers“ but I’ve had no drone, even in my convertible!

Hit them up!

OP
OP

songangchen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premuim
Something is not installed correctly. You perhaps don’t have something clamped down correctly. The touring exhaust does not drone. Period. Take your car to an exhaust shop and have them look over your install
took my car to the exhaust shop and they did some adjustment but still have the issue. i don't know if it's drone or it's just loud? i can clearly feel the vibration from the car body goes to my foots when i press on the accelerator. I'm pretty confused if it is drone or not but i'm sure that i don't want to get into my car any more because of that exhaust.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Not sure what to tell you.

My pedal is smooth as stock. There shouldn’t be any vibrations at all unless something is rubbing. This is the touring axle back with stock resonator correct?

Yes, it’s louder for sure. But no drone for me anyways.

It sounds like you need to talk to AWE! They will look after you. They have a satisfaction guarantee and if you’re not happy, Josh will take care of you.

Did you change anything else when you did the exhaust?

Good luck!

Face

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Another happy touring customer here- no drone at all on my '19.

Not to be dickish but make sure you're distinguishing the difference between loud and drone- for reference install a magnaflow street and report back. :p

Sponsored
OP
OP

songangchen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premuim
Another happy touring customer here- no drone at all on my '19.

Not to be dickish but make sure you're distinguishing the difference between loud and drone- for reference install a magnaflow street and report back. :p
yes i'm not sure if i can distinguish drone and loud. but when my buddy took my car he wants to get out of my car immediately lol... and when i send my car to the exhaust shop, the technician said he didn't hear anything. I really don't know how to judge it but i feel earache on highway...

OP
OP

songangchen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premuim
does anyone in Michigan who has AWE touring exhaust installed on his mustang that willing to let me seat into your car and hear the exhaust? or willing to seat into my car to test my exhuast?

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
Sounds like an odd issue bud since so many of us don't have a problem. I would contact AWE for assistance immediately.

If the AWE Touring is too loud for you, you should probably go back to stock.

@Josh/AWE

Mag_s550GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 magnetic GT
does anyone in Michigan who has AWE touring exhaust installed on his mustang that willing to let me seat into your car and hear the exhaust? or willing to seat into my car to test my exhuast?
Where are you in MI? I’ve got the touring set up, but I have the cats removed

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
yes i'm not sure if i can distinguish drone and loud. but when my buddy took my car he wants to get out of my car immediately lol... and when i send my car to the exhaust shop, the technician said he didn't hear anything. I really don't know how to judge it but i feel earache on highway...
Drone is only going to happen around 1800-2000 rpms, it feels like a bumble bee is stuck in your ear. Loud will increase with rpm.
Sponsored