Sponsored

Gun owners living in pro-gun States (They Agree with the 2nd Amendment)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else waiting for exploding heads when some people learn the "magazine capacity" of the knife used to stab 4 people to death today in California?
We have to enact stringent new knife control laws. Everyone now has to crush there tomato's instead of slice them for you hamburgers.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
Ironic that the gun haters are the ones that are left defenseless in their own homes when some thug with a gun kicks their doors in. Then they rely on the cops, with guns, to save their asses.
My wife installed a stained glass front door in our home which is not the best defense system. I still have a central station alarm (attic cell to 911).

I am in a Castle Law State which means I have a Right to protect my family if someone would be so stupid as to break down my door.

Yet, most deranged people would never go in the front door. They pick a school or a mall. I say teachers should have a gun.

I never go into a mall or public place without being legally armed. The best way to rid our Country of deranged terrorists is to shoot them quickly after they threaten us.first. The LEO community should also take previous threats seriously.

Hell no if you would think that a law abiding citizen will ever give up their Second Amendment Right to protect their family and property.

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
...You should be able to define a thing that you want to ban....
This is the internet. :wink:

I doubt one media or message board person can define "an assault rifle". I have no clue either, but it sounds really bad when talking about semi-automatic sporting rifles.

If I was in charge of the Supreme Court, I would allow an immediate execution (hanging by rope is OK) of anyone convicted of mass murder and domestic terrorism. The hanging death would be shown on HD TV.

This may change the plans of the deranged idiots when planning such terrorist acts against their neighborhoods and fellow citizens.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt one media or message board person can define "an assault rifle".
The way it's defined and LEGALLY defined is different. Check you local listings to find out how it's defined in your area.

Sponsored

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
The way it's defined and LEGALLY defined is different.
That is very helpful. Do I need to to capitalize the letters that you use?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This is the internet. :wink:

I doubt one media or message board person can define "an assault rifle". I have no clue either, but it sounds really bad when talking about semi-automatic sporting rifles.
Perhaps it's because no readily-available firearm is an assault weapon until somebody with an assault-others mentality picks it up with intent to do just that.

Norm

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps it's because no readily-available firearm is an assault weapon until somebody with an assault-others mentality picks it up with intent to do just that.
You can not say a gun is an assault weapon because it was used as an assault weapon. We won the Revolutionary War back in 1776 with a Flint-fired rifle.
GW1.jpg

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You can not say a gun is an assault weapon because it was used as an assault weapon.
I think you missed my point.
It's not if a firearm could be (or could have been) used as an assault weapon at some other time.
It's when it's about to be used for assault purposes this time.

The AR or AK being fired by the shooter on the next lane over at the range is not at that moment an assault weapon. Let's at least assume that they aren't in any NFA configuration.

Norm

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
I have never referred to the 'black' rifles as assault rifles. They ARE defense rifles.

Sponsored
OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
....It's when it's about to be used for assault purposes this time.

The AR or AK being fired by the shooter on the next lane over at the range is not at that moment an assault weapon. Let's at least assume that they aren't in any NFA configuration.
Norm,
You would be a good politician since you never say exactly what is an assault weapon. I've already said that I have no clue. FYI, I have no semi-automatic rifles except a lone little S&W Model 15-22 which fires .22LR rounds. Do you think this is an assault weapon?

15-22.jpg

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Norm,
You would be a good politician since you never say exactly what is an assault weapon.
Because I think that whether any readily-available firearm is an "assault weapon" is a function of its use and the mentality of its user at any given moment rather than on such static characteristics as appearance or outward similarity to weapons carried by law enforcement or the military.

I actually went to the range this afternoon, and saw at least a couple AR-platform rifles and one of the nicer AK-platform rifles (think not-a-Century). At that moment all of them were simply target rifles, just like the little .22LR tubular-magazine Marlin that I brought (along with a 1911 in 9mm). Take any of those centerfire rifles out into the woods during hunting season - assuming that you're hunting in a state where hunting with rifles of those calibers is legal - and they're just hunting rifles that happen to look different from a Remington 700 bolt gun, a 30-30 levergun, or my Marlin.

Norm

B3NNL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT 550 Black
Folks as someone that lives over the pond and just watches all the confrontation regarding gun ownership etc with bemusement. Can I just ask a simple question, without judgement or prejudice? Why do you have your guns? Do you just enjoy shooting or just owning a the weapon? Or do you genuinely feel the need for some form of protection?

The reason I ask is simple, I myself enjoy shooting, having served 26 years in the Military I'm no stranger to being at both ends of the barrel and have had my fair share of "shootin shit up" with some ridiculous firepower which was friggin awesome! If I was allowed to own a weapon, I'd probably have one or a few... I enjoy them and appreciate them for what they are.
What I wouldn't want though is to feel the need to have it for my own protection. I can't imagine leaving the house and checking I've got my wallet, car keys, mobile and sidearm. Personally I find it very sad that some of you folks have got to the stage where you don't feel safe unless you're wearing your gun or its within easy reach. I have a friend who was ex Ranger/Delta and when he came to visit us in the UK, we were sat at a music festival enjoying a drink when he admitted he had never felt so uneasy at not having his gun on him. This guy could probably have killed everyone there with a bloody straw yet he still felt venerable. I really felt for him as that was something I doubt very much any of us living outside of London would ever feel.

What do you guys think, would you rather just own the guns because you want to rather than need to? I appreciate theres no easy answer to your situation and I have no solution of my own, although I feel perhaps a bit of licencing/background checks wouldn't do any harm, but that's just my opinion.

Genuinely interested in your thoughts on this.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
If I was allowed to own a weapon, I'd probably have one or a few... I enjoy them and appreciate them for what they are.

What do you guys think, would you rather just own the guns because you want to rather than need to?

Genuinely interested in your thoughts on this.
I am sorry when I hear the less fortunate say they would surely own guns if they could but are oppressed by their government.

If it hasn't occurred to you, guns are like fire extinguishers. If you own one (or more) of those, I hope the visions of fiery death that led you to acquire them do not weigh heavily on you. I don't lose any sleep over needing fire extinguishers or guns. Some feel its a good thing to be prepared, not to cast any aspersions. :wink:

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Folks as someone that lives over the pond and just watches all the confrontation regarding gun ownership etc with bemusement. Can I just ask a simple question, without judgement or prejudice? Why do you have your guns? Do you just enjoy shooting or just owning a the weapon? Or do you genuinely feel the need for some form of protection?
Me personally, it's all about the enjoyment aspect. Which it would have been no matter where I might have ended up living (I'm in NJ where concealed carry is damn near impossible to get approval for). So I own my guns strictly out of want rather than any felt need. We're both several years retired at this point, so we're not very likely to end up in places where we would be at much personal risk.

My son, on the other hand, drives an over-the-road semi-trailer, and due to pickup/delivery locations and hours-of-service limitations may have to lay over in areas where the risks are much greater. As an individual driver living most of his life in a less than 100 square foot mobile "apartment", he and drivers like him don't have much in the way of other options.

Personally I find it very sad that some of you folks have got to the stage where you don't feel safe unless you're wearing your gun or its within easy reach. I have a friend who was ex Ranger/Delta and when he came to visit us in the UK, we were sat at a music festival enjoying a drink when he admitted he had never felt so uneasy at not having his gun on him. This guy could probably have killed everyone there with a bloody straw yet he still felt venerable. I really felt for him as that was something I doubt very much any of us living outside of London would ever feel.
There may be more to it than that. Particularly in the case of your friend, not being allowed to carry his gun amounts to an official opinion that he is by definition irresponsible and untrustworthy. By minimal extension from that, already a violent felon just looking for a place to commit such an offense. Arbitrary guilt with no way of proving innocence.

Norm
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.