Sponsored

Continental, ExtremeContact SPORT tire review -with Motec Data (MotoIQ)

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Went back to Discount Tire today and it couldn't have went better. I was able to take advantage of Continentals 60 day guarantee and return/ exchange them for Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, 255/40/19. I haven't been able to drive it much today but the sidewalls feel a lot better. I'll let you know how they drive and ride in a week or so. Here's a few photo's of the Continental and Michelin tires.

Continental ExtremeContact Sport 255/40/19
IMG_0432 (3).jpg

At Discount Tire today, this location near my house is one of the best tire shops in town.
IMG_0548.jpg

New Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 255/40/19
IMG_0550.jpg
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
New tires will always feel seriously squirmy compared to old hard tires (of the same model). The old rubber is hardened and the tread blocks on the new tires are full size and allow for significantly more movement. That much is normal.

Now the Continentals do have a softer sidewall, which helps give them good grip in low traction or wet conditions, as well as probably contributing to comfort and low noise.

You’re probably feeling a combination of both effects. It also takes 2-300 miles to break in new tires and get at the good grip, so if the back end is swaying you might be going too hard too soon and just spinning tire.

Taterbootz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP. 2014 Focus Sport SE.
After reading this thread and LOTS of reviews on other sites I pulled the trigger on these tires and had them installed on the rear of my car, 255/40/19. The good.. They hook really well, lots of traction in a straight line and cornering. Low noise and comfortable ride. The bad... I’m not sure if it’s the size of my tires or if I received a set of faulty tires but these have the worst driving feel of any tire I’ve ever driven. The sidewalls flex so much that I thought the lug nuts were not properly torqued. The best way to describe it is a wallowing left to right movement, almost like they’re under inflated and folding over. I thought I would get used to it but after driving on the freeway for a while and changing lanes, merging, etc I am heading back to the tire store to take Continental up on their 60 day satisfaction guarantee. Mine were manufactured (3716) so I’m not sure if I received a bad early run or what because 95% of the research I’ve found is really positive. I’m glad they worked out for others though, the traction is excellent if that’s all your after.

Are you running the factory suspension still? I went from factory Perelli’s to the ExtremeContact Sports and I didn’t notice any issue with sidewall deflection. I’m not running super high pressures either (33 on the info screen, 35 according to my Gauge but it’s a cheap one), but I am running a stiff suspension (steeda ultralite shocks and steeda pro action adjustable dampers). Sidewalls are def softer than the perellis in terms of ride quality, but they are significantly better in terms of driving feel.

I haven’t driven on the mp4s, but the conti’s remind me more of the Bridgestone RE11a’s I had on my S2000.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
The Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires came stock on my 2019 Roush Stage 3.
142 miles so far an no complaints.
20190804_132839.jpg

Last edited:

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Nearly 2k miles on my Continentals. So far I love them. Haven't been able to track them yet but I can confirm grip is incredible compared to the pirellis. It's hard to break these things loose at my power levels you really have to try and even then it doesn't want to break loose. I mean that in both accelerating and trying to kick the tires out sideways. I am very happy withes tires. Next month I get to put them to the test and I'm excited to see how they do.

Sponsored

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
New tires will always feel seriously squirmy compared to old hard tires (of the same model). The old rubber is hardened and the tread blocks on the new tires are full size and allow for significantly more movement. That much is normal.

Now the Continentals do have a softer sidewall, which helps give them good grip in low traction or wet conditions, as well as probably contributing to comfort and low noise.

You’re probably feeling a combination of both effects. It also takes 2-300 miles to break in new tires and get at the good grip, so if the back end is swaying you might be going too hard too soon and just spinning tire.
You’re 100% right about the squirm with new tires. The Michelin’s have this too along with the releasing oils from the tire mold still on the tires. It’s bizzare to me how soft the sidewalls were on the Continental’s. I did a lot of digging online and the only thing I can find is that some sizes of tires don’t perform as well as others. My 255/40/19 don’t have a large sidewall but not exactly a low profile one either. I’m thinking that combination of size plus the thinner sidewall of the ExtremeContact Sports is just a bad combo.

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Are you running the factory suspension still? I went from factory Perelli’s to the ExtremeContact Sports and I didn’t notice any issue with sidewall deflection. I’m not running super high pressures either (33 on the info screen, 35 according to my Gauge but it’s a cheap one), but I am running a stiff suspension (steeda ultralite shocks and steeda pro action adjustable dampers). Sidewalls are def softer than the perellis in terms of ride quality, but they are significantly better in terms of driving feel.

I haven’t driven on the mp4s, but the conti’s remind me more of the Bridgestone RE11a’s I had on my S2000.
I have stock springs and sway bars. I have the BMR CB010 cradle lock out level one (best suspension mode I’ve done), Steeda IRS Braces, and Steeda vertical links. I ran the Continental’s at 32 and then bumped them up to 36 cold which got up to 40 hot. They felt better at the higher psi but still felt pretty bad compared to the stock Pirelli Pzero Nero A/S. I liked how well the Continental’s hooked in the turns and straight line but the sidewalls drove me crazy. What size tires are you running?

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
That’s a good way to describe it too. I can’t imagine what a set of four would feel like. What size are you running? I’m really surprised I didn’t find more people with the same experience, I must have read over 100 reviews and everyone seemed to absolutely love them. Heading to the tire store this morning to see how easy the 60 day guarantee is on switching out for a different brand of tires. I feel like an a$$hole for taking tires back but I can’t stand soft sidewalls.
My conti ecs are 255/40/19..and on 19Ă—10 aftermarket rims...a couple of times I have put my stock pp rims with pirellis back on to make sure I'm not imagining the sway

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if the ECS have a softer sidewall than my nitto nt555's, anyone know from experience? I'm about to replace them and I was going to do the ECS but maybe the PS4's are worth the extra $250

Taterbootz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP. 2014 Focus Sport SE.
I have stock springs and sway bars. I have the BMR CB010 cradle lock out level one (best suspension mode I’ve done), Steeda IRS Braces, and Steeda vertical links. I ran the Continental’s at 32 and then bumped them up to 36 cold which got up to 40 hot. They felt better at the higher psi but still felt pretty bad compared to the stock Pirelli Pzero Nero A/S. I liked how well the Continental’s hooked in the turns and straight line but the sidewalls drove me crazy. What size tires are you running?

255/40 and 275/40 on factory PP wheels.

Weird how different our experiences are.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Is anyone with Continental ECS taking their cars to the drag strip? I am curious how they hook from a dig and under hard shifts. Obviously, those conditions are much different than road course performance.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Is anyone with Continental ECS taking their cars to the drag strip? I am curious how they hook from a dig and under hard shifts. Obviously, those conditions are much different than road course performance.
I should be next month. For an EcoBoost they do not break loose easily at all. On the street, from a dig it's grip city, drag mode shifts not even a chirp. Traction is vastly improved over my stock pirellies. For a gt that might change given the increased power and tq. It's also hot here so I am probably at 2/3 what I would be at in the winter. This is a wonderful tire for the money. I have also driven a ps4s recently and that tire is fantastic as well. The performance feels comparable but the ps4s has better road comfort when daily driving. Either would be a good choice imo
Sponsored