Sponsored

Anyone retrofit the garage opener sun visor into a base model?

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Has anyone retrofitted the OEM garage opener sun visor into a base model?
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
It should not be too hard. In previous years they were entirely plug n play, meaning they were stand alone and not tied to the can bus or any other system in the car. Part of the licensing deal with the manufacturer of the G.D.O. was they had to work independently and not be tied to anything. All you need is 12v and a ground and it should work. If your car already has lighted vanity mirrors then you have 12v and ground up there. Inside the visor the mirror and opener use the same 12v supply, they are spliced together.

mc68386

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Has anyone retrofitted the OEM garage opener sun visor into a base model?
I did the opposite (sort of). My GT Premium came with the openers, but they are so low-power they won't open my garage reliably. So I bought a standard clicker and put it on my visor (next to the useless built-in ones). So I would definitely recommend AGAINST retrofitting the OEM one.

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
When I got my new (2016) F-150, my boss asked of there was anything I needed it to have. I told him the garage door opener would be noce. They had one retrofitted. I still can't get the damn thing programmed. :thumbsdown:

Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Brian_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
See username
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 3.7L, 2016 Explorer 3.5L
I did it on my 2015. All S550s have lighted sunvisors so this mod is a direct plug and play.

Tw00sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1965 Mustang Coupe
I did it to my '16 with a visor I got on ebay.

Old thread with lots of info - https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/homelink-visor-easy-swap.17978/

My experience with both the '16 retrofit and '18 factory homelink has been good. No range or programming issues. I have Chamberlain garage door openers FWIW.
I have two chamberlains and I cannot get them to work with the Mustang or Truck visors. Have not seen anyone that has got the visor to open their garage door.

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I have two chamberlains and I cannot get them to work with the Mustang or Truck visors. Have not seen anyone that has got the visor to open their garage door.
My apologies - My openers are Genie. Was sure they were Chamberlain, until I just looked.:facepalm:

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
I did the opposite (sort of). My GT Premium came with the openers, but they are so low-power they won't open my garage reliably. So I bought a standard clicker and put it on my visor (next to the useless built-in ones). So I would definitely recommend AGAINST retrofitting the OEM one.
this is exactly what I had to do on my 16. Homelink opener is weak...
Sponsored