Sponsored

Bret Barber's Ported 2018+ Throttle Bodies - Info / Pics Inside, Available Now, no tuning needed

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
18+ have pretty awesome computers from the factory. They can adjust to a wide variety of changes. I ran a ported mani with no issues on stock tune.

I installed a ported TB right around the time I put on headers and incurred no weird issues at first. I'm now getting small hiccups at idle. Which I think might be a dirty maf.

After talking to Bret and my tuner. They both say no revisions are needed for ported TB and mani. But there is more optimization that can be done. Essentially you'll be leaving a little on the table.

But I haven't had a tune revision since I installed the headers and TB. I really need to log my car and get it taken care of.
Sponsored

TRPCANA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
18+ have pretty awesome computers from the factory. They can adjust to a wide variety of changes. I ran a ported mani with no issues on stock tune.

I installed a ported TB right around the time I put on headers and incurred no weird issues at first. I'm now getting small hiccups at idle. Which I think might be a dirty maf.

After talking to Bret and my tuner. They both say no revisions are needed for ported TB and mani. But there is more optimization that can be done. Essentially you'll be leaving a little on the table.

But I haven't had a tune revision since I installed the headers and TB. I really need to log my car and get it taken care of.
Did you dyno or notice any pickup on the ported stock manifold?
I am a 2018 A10 car tuned on E85 and have a ported stock manifold sitting in my garage, thinking of pairing it with one of these ported TBs at the same time and doing a before and after with a tune revision maybe from lund.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I am a 2018 A10 car tuned on E85 and have a ported stock manifold sitting in my garage, thinking of pairing it with one of these ported TBs at the same time and doing a before and after with a tune revision maybe from lund.

I haven't. But comparing maf flow rates and using ricer math, there was an increase. Should have been around 10hp for the mani.

Won't be able to say about the TB since I did headers too. But I could compare data from my logs someone else's.

There's a definite throttle response increase with the TB.

TRPCANA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
I haven't. But comparing maf flow rates and using ricer math, there was an increase. Should have been around 10hp for the mani.

Won't be able to say about the TB since I did headers too. But I could compare data from my logs someone else's.

There's a definite throttle response increase with the TB.

ive been logging MAF flaw rates for another mod I am about to experiment with, so ill see. Im going to throw it on figured id give it a shot and see what happens. I'll have it dynoed before and do the swap and see the results if any. Will make a thread when it goes down so hopefully helps future people.

I wouldn't expect MAF flow rates to change from a ported manifold though since the reduction in restriction is occurring post-MAF sensor, unless im wrong here?

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
My curiosity got the best of me, I ordered a throttle body. It should arrive Wednesday. I was thinking about getting the ported manifold to go with it, but I'm holding off at the moment as I might have other mods in the works.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Terry (Beefcake) mentioned to expect 5-7 at the wheels with the ported OEM mani if NA, more on FI apps.

OP
OP

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT - 10spd Auto, Performance Pack Lvl 1
ive been logging MAF flaw rates for another mod I am about to experiment with, so ill see. Im going to throw it on figured id give it a shot and see what happens. I'll have it dynoed before and do the swap and see the results if any. Will make a thread when it goes down so hopefully helps future people.

I wouldn't expect MAF flow rates to change from a ported manifold though since the reduction in restriction is occurring post-MAF sensor, unless im wrong here?
MAF rates would increase if the engine is moving more air (including ported manifold). It's a better "pump" then and would bring more in which the MAF will read as it goes by. Same as when you do headers which are post-MAF.

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10 speed Auto
MAF rates would increase if the engine is moving more air (including ported manifold). It's a better "pump" then and would bring more in which the MAF will read as it goes by. Same as when you do headers which are post-MAF.
How is this measured? After I installed the ported throttle body and manifold my maf lb/min reading actually went down.

OP
OP

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How is this measured? After I installed the ported throttle body and manifold my maf lb/min reading actually went down.
Couple of things here. MAF readings have to be adjusted according to the fuel trims in play to get "true" readings you can compare. However, I will note I experienced what seemed like a power loss with the AFS ported TB that I did separately after the manifold. When I originally put the manifold on, found a nice gain indeed with it and the stock TB. Then the ported TB seemed to react poorly and less overall power. Removed ported AFS TB and put the stock one back on with the ported IM and it runs beautifully. Just my $0.02. Sucks because the TB is beautiful to look at how it was ported.

StangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT Premium
So ported mani gains > port TB gains on stock tune? How much for ported mani?

Sponsored
OP
OP

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So ported mani gains > port TB gains on stock tune? How much for ported mani?
Ported mani worked very well for me indeed. You buy a new one for 350ish from Steeda, ship to AFS from Steeda, pay $200-$250 for porting and they ship to you and then sell your stocker if you want to recoup 200-250 of it.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Anyone install one of these yet and have your car dynoed before / after?

Seems like a cheap piece and the HP/$$ ratio if it is what it is isn't bad at all.

Anyone install one of these and have a bad experience?

@BigBlue you said it lost power. Were you just running the intake mani / TB untuned? Or did you have a tune?

OP
OP

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone install one of these yet and have your car dynoed before / after?

Seems like a cheap piece and the HP/$$ ratio if it is what it is isn't bad at all.

Anyone install one of these and have a bad experience?

@BigBlue you said it lost power. Were you just running the intake mani / TB untuned? Or did you have a tune?
E85R Lund tune, same tune before and after as AFS says their IM and TB dont require any tuning.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
VooDooDaddy, thanks, that makes sense. So now I guess my questions are does the ECU have the capability to adjust after it gets different readings from the MAF than what it thinks it should get? The way I understand the MAF to work is that the wire heats up and how quickly the air cools it to a pre determined condition is what the ECU goes by.? So if the TB is larger and the MAF size stays the same then the velocity of air going through the MAF changes.? Which then changes how fast or slow the wire cools which then changes what the ECU sees.? If my thinking is correct so far then the ECU will need to have a range of parameters already set to be able to adjust? So will this new TB cause the readings to be in the parameter range? 21% seems a lot.
The overall air intake system isn't seeing an increase of 21% airflow. That statistic is only for the ported throttle body vs. stock throttle body under certain tested inlet pressure conditions when off of the car. The overall air intake flow rate, assuming you only change the throttle body, will likely be very marginal. The ECU shouldn't have a problem adjusting for that small change. You gotta be careful when you read a claim about "increases airflow by X% over stock!". It's only talking about that one single component on a bench test, while off the car. Essentially, with this throttle body, you've reduced the restriction of that one component, but there are many other components creating restriction elsewhere in the air intake system.
Sponsored