Sponsored

Wow, I didn't realize how much a weighted shift knob would improve the feel of the MT-82!

draph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6MT PP1
Anyone measure the force it takes to take your transmission to neutral from any gear? I would be curious to see if these heaviest of the knobs would throw the car into neutral under heavy g loads. A short shift kit would shorten the moment arm effect that a heavy knob would have, of course... ....just a mechanical engineer thinking out loud. Ford engineers aren't dumb, but their design margins of safety probably leave plenty of room for a heavier knob, but perhaps with increased risk of neutral in certain outlier driving scenarios.
Sponsored

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
I went with a custom weighted aluminum shift knob, It is heavy, grooved and improved the shifter feel. It will get hot if left in the sun. Toss a cloth over it if you are parking in the sun for extended times. A second addition was the Whiteline transmission mount bushing filler.
IMG_0574.jpg
IMG_0577.jpg

These 2 things combined transformed my shifter feel and response. It is a lot crisper now

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
HI Guys, I'd been meaning to try a weighted shift knob for a while and finally got one installed. Maybe it's all in my head, but I have to say, it really does improve the feel of transmission. Those of you who also went with a weighted knob, did notice the same improvement? I went with a 510 gram shift knob, which is quite a bit heavier than the stock. If you shop around, you can get a decent one shipped for $60. So for those of you who aren't really happy with the shift action on your Mustang, it's a pretty cheap mod to try out! --Tom (Sorry for the crappy pic...)

IMG_1193.JPG
Weighted knob sounds counter intuitive and sorta snake oily ... Im sure it’s just ignorance on my part.
I have no doubts it changes the feel
How much do they sell for?

omens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Weighted knob sounds counter intuitive and sorta snake oily ... Im sure it’s just ignorance on my part.
How much do they sell for?
I personally think they arena great improvement. Everything feels more solid and smooth falling into the next gear.

You can get one as low as $60 or up in the $150 range depending on brand, shape, weight, custom engraving, etc. The blank non engraved ones from shift solutions go for $50-70ish depending on the shape and finish.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I’d love to have a T handle of days gone by or a blasphemous pistol grip. Any sources for those types?
My stock leather one ain’t fugly or unergonomic ...but a cool T Handle with the H plus 5&6 zip and unzip install would be ti T’s

Sponsored

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I’d love to have a T handle of days gone by or a blasphemous pistol grip. Any sources for those types?
My stock leather one ain’t fugly or unergonomic ...but a cool T Handle with the H plus 5&6 zip and unzip install would be ti T’s
A few people in the shift knobs thread picked them up from here: https://core-shifters.com/pages/shifters

Shift knob thread and pictures: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...t-knob-pics-thread.24067/page-82#post-2497388

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
More mass up at the top of the shift lever works to keep shift lever speed at the knob more constant, adds momentum once you've got the lever moving (helps engage the next gear once past the neutral gate, with less force from you), and lowers the natural vibration frequencies of the shift lever itself (think "less buzzy").

Norm

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
We older guys keep learning well into our 60-70's, Lol. Get em Norm!

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
More mass up at the top of the shift lever works to keep shift lever speed at the knob more constant, adds momentum once you've got the lever moving (helps engage the next gear once past the neutral gate, with less force from you), and lowers the natural vibration frequencies of the shift lever itself (think "less buzzy").

Norm
If a little is good and more is better then too much is just right! ;) Steel is 7850 (kg/cu m), brass at 8500 may be good.
But yeah, tungsten at 19600 is out of control.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
A typical OE cue-ball style shift knob is about 2" diameter and weighs about 2.5 ounces (I had an old one handy). A solid steel ball in that diameter would weigh around 400 grams (after drilling and tapping the hole for the lever to thread into). Not sure you'd even want anything heavier than that.

Norm

Sponsored

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
I tried a Flossy Snowball (500g) on my '14. Nice knob, feels good, but too much weight for me.

Now it's just a $100 paperweight. Looks cool, though.

(anyone want it? lol)

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I had a weighted knob on my 2011 GT and the difference was quite surprising as well. Then added a Barton Two Post shift bracket and it was perfect for me.

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
T handle :shock::puke: Ha ha ha

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Latheworks stainless knob. It definitely helps shifting over the OEM knob. It weighs 440 grams and is a work of art. It wasn't really expensive and it didn't take long to get made.
20190422_153655.jpg

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Definitely felt a major difference, I have a Raceseng Ashiko (picture below, mine is the same). It was heavier than what I wanted, but I really liked the style and the size of the grip. With the stock or other smaller after-market options, my big claws would invariably find a way to touch the reverse lockout collar all the time and it'd freak me out. I also tend to pistol-grip gears 1, 2, and 6, so this style just feels really comfortable. The weight does feel like it helps some of the throws, especially my ridiculously notchy 3-4 pull. Just have to be a little more careful about going into neutral because if you just tap it, it can literally go from, say, 6th to 5th really easy.

Really no thermal issues and the car sits outside. Unless it's in direct sunlight, it stays cool. Yeah, it can get cold in the winter, but it's not like a piece of plastic wrapped in fake whatever is all warm 'n cuddly.
ashiko-red-translucent-gate-1_22.jpg
Sponsored