BlowerGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500, 2018 GT A10, 06 GTO
18 Whipple w/ MGW - 800 ish RWHP.
bought it done....I'm ignorant but learning. I'll apologize because i'm a '04-06 GTO guy. Like horrible. I have 3 of them.

1.94 60' last night on MT 18" radials. Dumping clutch at 4600RPM and we're getting a good bog. Missed 2nd once, and 3rd once. 3rd gear I swear wasn't me.

1) How long is this thing gonna last with me treating it like a Hertz Impala rental? I'm gonna get a 15" rear wheel/brake setup very soon.....I want to see some 1.4 60 foots.
2) - I'm guessing the MT82 is on borrowed time, and it looks like it's worth aluminum scrap from my searching of the site. So, with that - I've got a faceplated T-56 that would need a bellhousing etc. to make it work. It's fresh from Liberty, which I got from a buddy. Just a spare for my 600RWHP GTO....I can't imagine the clutch would use the same input - but maybe? Even if I don't use my faceplated transmission, I can't imagine the $1500 CF driveshaft would work with a different YOKE? Or would it?
3) What vendor/dealer is the best at transmissions for these Coyotes? Who's got a whole setup in stock, ready to rock. I just want a setup that is bulletproof so I can beat the shit out of this car until Sept 1st.

Throw me whatever little tidbits of information I can use the keywords from to search the site. I'm just having a hard time combing through the threads, because they are mostly stock car issues with more miles. Since I'm beating the hell out of it behind a whipple, it would be nice to find people with similar cars so I can see potential hazards and the fixes.
Sponsored

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Yeah it is scrap cause you are throwing 800HP at it and dumping in it constantly. These threads piss me off.

OP
OP
BlowerGuy

BlowerGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
Yeah it is scrap cause you are throwing 800HP at it and dumping in it constantly. These threads piss me off.
I'll assume I'm receiving some misplaced anger. Because if this pisses you off your 3 yr old somehow logged in and responded to my thread or you might have issues you need to get worked out. I really don't need your 5 second assessment and .0005 seconds of thought put into an answer here.

Anyways, just looking for some good information about these transmissions in higher HP use.

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I'll assume I'm receiving some misplaced anger. Because if this pisses you off your 3 yr old somehow logged in and responded to my thread or you might have issues you need to get worked out. I really don't need your 5 second assessment and .0005 seconds of thought put into an answer here.

Anyways, just looking for some good information about these transmissions in higher HP use.
Ben Calimer is usually the go to guy for trans related things in the mustang world.

I would also recommend you join the stick shift coyote fb page. Lots of good info there if you just search up specific questions.

Anyways right off the bat, here are some things most people will tell you from what I’ve read;

1. Get a set of bias ply for the track. Mt82 doesn’t like launching on radials.

2. I don’t know what else is done to the car but you definitely need a Twin Disc, one piece driveshaft, stronger half shafts, and a lot of suspension work. I hope most of this has already been done to the car.

3. Most people will tell you to slip the clutch. You could also consider the n2mb (2step and wot box).

4. If it feels like you’re hitting a gate during the shift and you don’t think you’re actually missing, it’s probably your clutch if you’re still on the stock one. I’m guessing it’s only at high rpm? It’s usually the clutch or shifter but you already have the mgw so only leaves the clutch.

5. Lastly, you can try to keep your mt82 but I would bet things will always be breaking on you if you track the car often. At the end of the day, the mt82 isn’t a good trans. You could spend $3k to get the stage 3 from Ben with gforce gears rated at 1000 hp but at that money, t56 or tr6060 swap is right around the corner in terms of price and those trans are far superior.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Two threads below this one is a thread on how someone installed a Tremec Magnum in place of the MT-82. The GT350 has one so all the parts are available.
One measure of xmsn strength is the shaft spacing. The MT-82 is … yes, 82 mm. The Tremec is 85 mm so about 4% stronger to start with. The gear ratios also play a part and the lower (numerical) 1st gear adds strength. Tremec is probably a better way to go for what you are doing.

Sponsored

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 - N3451 2015 Focus Titanium
Ben Calimer ... I think Lethal sells them as well as VMP. He also builds Tremec units and you can find him on FB .. do a search for Calimer Transmissions.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Scrap the MT82 and go with the Magnum or TR6060... I did the 6060 and have no regrets...800+rwhp and the Tremec takes it all day long.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Ben Calimer is usually the go to guy for trans related things in the mustang world.

I would also recommend you join the stick shift coyote fb page. Lots of good info there if you just search up specific questions.

Anyways right off the bat, here are some things most people will tell you from what I’ve read;

2. I don’t know what else is done to the car but you definitely need a Twin Disc, one piece driveshaft, stronger half shafts, and a lot of suspension work. I hope most of this has already been done to the car.

3. Most people will tell you to slip the clutch. You could also consider the n2mb (2step and wot box).

4. If it feels like you’re hitting a gate during the shift and you don’t think you’re actually missing, it’s probably your clutch if you’re still on the stock one. I’m guessing it’s only at high rpm? It’s usually the clutch or shifter but you already have the mgw so only leaves the clutch.

5. Lastly, you can try to keep your mt82 but I would bet things will always be breaking on you if you track the car often. At the end of the day, the mt82 isn’t a good trans. You could spend $3k to get the stage 3 from Ben with gforce gears rated at 1000 hp but at that money, t56 or tr6060 swap is right around the corner in terms of price and those trans are far superior.
All of this is great info for MT-82 guys.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Two threads below this one is a thread on how someone installed a Tremec Magnum in place of the MT-82. The GT350 has one so all the parts are available.
One measure of xmsn strength is the shaft spacing. The MT-82 is … yes, 82 mm. The Tremec is 85 mm so about 4% stronger to start with. The gear ratios also play a part and the lower (numerical) 1st gear adds strength. Tremec is probably a better way to go for what you are doing.

Gt350 is a Tremec but not a T56. It's a TR 3160 with a rated 429ftlb of torque. It too has it's own issues. Magnum XL or Tr6060 like 62 said.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Gt350 is a Tremec but not a T56. It's a TR 3160 with a rated 429ftlb of torque. It too has it's own issues. Magnum XL or Tr6060 like 62 said.
You're right, the 3160 is only 81 mm shaft spacing but the 6060 is 85 mm like the T-56.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BlowerGuy

BlowerGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)

I took your info to heart. I reached out to Calimere, but I guess he doesn't do anything but phone. I'm a email guy for the most part, largely because in text it's hard to get screwed by he said she said.

Anyways, after dropping $6K with Terry on Wheels, slicks and knuckles and after last thursday night where I finally started side stepping the T56 in my GTO - I'm in the hunt for a T56.

Largely, I'm looking to find out if my CFiber driveshaft is any good with a different yoke, or If I'll have to buy a whole new one.

If possible, I'd love to have this all together in two weeks....but finding someone with all this in stock might be tough.

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I took your info to heart. I reached out to Calimere, but I guess he doesn't do anything but phone. I'm a email guy for the most part, largely because in text it's hard to get screwed by he said she said.

Anyways, after dropping $6K with Terry on Wheels, slicks and knuckles and after last thursday night where I finally started side stepping the T56 in my GTO - I'm in the hunt for a T56.

Largely, I'm looking to find out if my CFiber driveshaft is any good with a different yoke, or If I'll have to buy a whole new one.

If possible, I'd love to have this all together in two weeks....but finding someone with all this in stock might be tough.
It sounds like you’re making quick moves!

Yeah Ben pretty much only responds to calls. He usually doesn’t pick up but he calls you back 50% of the time. Just gotta keep trying him.

I’m glad Terry was able to help you out. I hope his advice aligned with what I suggested. He definitely knows the platform so I would take his word for any advice on our cars.

Good luck on the build

PS. Just to make sure there’s no confusion, whenever we mention the T56, we’re e always talking about the Magnum XL version (at least I am and I think most others are).

OP
OP
BlowerGuy

BlowerGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
What 1st gear is everyone using? I see there are some choices.

I'm sure thinking this thing needs 3.90's like my GTO. GTO has a pretty deep 1st, but it works for me.

6th gear with this mt82 is useless. 85 mph maybe....that's with 3.73's

OP
OP
BlowerGuy

BlowerGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
Talked with Ben - he said the 18+ MT82 has much better gears. He said it's almost as strong as the alternatives. He said most guys are breaking shift forks. So, I guess.....we'll let her buck first.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
T
Talked with Ben - he said the 18+ MT82 has much better gears. He said it's almost as strong as the alternatives. He said most guys are breaking shift forks. So, I guess.....we'll let her buck first.
this Is interesting. Really good to know! I heard a lot of guys break forks on them. I actually my transmission swapped, but the fork thing wasn’t my issues. I had problems not getting into gear.
Sponsored