Sponsored

Whine in performance pack 2 rear end

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2109 Kona Blue PP2 Mustang GT, 2009 Jaguar XF Supercharged, 2019 Volvo Inscription T5
I have a 2019 Performance Pack 2 Mustang GT. There is a low whine (not noticeable if radio on) @ 40-55 mph and it gets real noticeable at 68-72 mph. Took to local dealer and they said this is normal for the 3:73 rear end. I had a 71 super cobra jet with 4:10 locker that did not whine at all. Is this normal or are they blowing smoke at me. Car has 940 miles and has not been abused yet.
Sponsored

Mr.PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 2019 Velocity Blue PP2
How you can hear a rear end wine over the tire noise is beyond me. My Boss 302 had a wine out of the 3.73's My PP2 seems quieter but i cant hear it over the tires.

OP
OP
Alive and Kicking
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2109 Kona Blue PP2 Mustang GT, 2009 Jaguar XF Supercharged, 2019 Volvo Inscription T5
How you can hear a rear end wine over the tire noise is beyond me. My Boss 302 had a wine out of the 3.73's My PP2 seems quieter but i cant hear it over the tires.
I can definitely hear it over the tire noise.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
What's your diff temp? Tire pressure?

Also, how are you certain that its the rear diff?

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Is it constant, or is it RPM related? Do you hear it more as you slowly accelerate. What does it sound like(pitch)?

Sponsored

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
I'm assuming you have the Torsen differential. I had that in my 2016 PP. No noise. Did that service guy check the fluid? You could change it to a good synthetic. That Torsen doesn't need friction modifier either.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Even before I put my diff bushings in I would hear a little whine from time to time. Now with the bushings the whine is amplified.

With that being said go ahead and change out your diff fluid to the 75-90 or 75-140 (depending on your location) for peace of mind. Optimum Performance sells the BG kit.

OP
OP
Alive and Kicking
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
What's your diff temp? Tire pressure?

Also, how are you certain that its the rear diff?
Will check the diff temp tomorrow. All 4 tires are dead on 32. I am not 100% sure the noise is from the diff but definitely 90%. No clunks, clatter, grinding or other noises. Shifts well. I have it on record at a dealer that it has been checked so I will watch it for a while. Just find hard to believe that noise is normal. Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
Alive and Kicking
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Is it constant, or is it RPM related? Do you hear it more as you slowly accelerate. What does it sound like(pitch)?
It is fairly constant over 30 mph. Really noticeable 68-72 mph. No worse decelerating than accelerating. I would guess my next course of action is changing the fluid. Thanks

OP
OP
Alive and Kicking
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
It is fairly constant over 30 mph. Really noticeable 68-72 mph. No worse decelerating than accelerating. I would guess my next course of action is changing the fluid. Thanks
Oh yeah, the pitch is like the sound my wife makes when I tell her I am getting another car.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Alive and Kicking
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Even before I put my diff bushings in I would hear a little whine from time to time. Now with the bushings the whine is amplified.

With that being said go ahead and change out your diff fluid to the 75-90 or 75-140 (depending on your location) for peace of mind. Optimum Performance sells the BG kit.
Thanks for your help

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Oh yeah, the pitch is like the sound my wife makes when I tell her I am getting another car.
I know that sound.

This is kind of a PITA, but if you can take it to an elevated dyno, maybe you can confirm the exact location of the noise.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I have an '18 PP2. I've never heard any whine from the rear end at any speed. Doesn't sound normal to me. Good luck in getting it figured out.

2018Creamsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury GT Premium Vert
I have an '18 PP2. I've never heard any whine from the rear end at any speed. Doesn't sound normal to me. Good luck in getting it figured out.
3.73 have always been whiney hit or miss. Our 2012 3.73 was noisy from the very start. Dealer tried to fix it several times culminating with a total diff rebuild. Never made a bit of difference. Noises were exactly the same speeds as yours and annoying as hell on the interstate. Father in laws identical 2012 3.73 was silent.

Can’t believe they haven’t figured this issue out yet.

OP
OP
Alive and Kicking
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
N
3.73 have always been whiney hit or miss. Our 2012 3.73 was noisy from the very start. Dealer tried to fix it several times culminating with a total diff rebuild. Never made a bit of difference. Noises were exactly the same speeds as yours and annoying as hell on the interstate. Father in laws identical 2012 3.73 was silent.

Can’t believe they haven’t figured this issue out yet.
Thanks for reply. Makes me feel better they weren’t jerking me around. I am taking it to one more dealer. If they say the same thing I will try different diff fluid. After that it is either live with it or contact Ford. Bummer because it is one of the best muscle cars I have owned other than that
Sponsored