Drag mode after tune

Slowest5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang gt
I have a 301A car with all of the drive modes. Is there any point to these after getting a tune?

I know Lund does all of their trans tunes for the D mode. I’m looking for personal experience from people with 301A cars and a tune. Do you use the mods any more? Or are they pointless after getting a tune?
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
My car is a 17 V6, but drive modes definitely still do something even with a tune. I'm not sure if there's a limit to what the tuners can do in D or if they could make the same modifications if you asked, but Sport+ and Track have greater throttle response and hold gears longer. I still use both regularly.

Not sure what sort of impact it might have on Drag mode though.

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
I have a 301A car with all of the drive modes. Is there any point to these after getting a tune?

I know Lund does all of their trans tunes for the D mode. I’m looking for personal experience from people with 301A cars and a tune. Do you use the mods any more? Or are they pointless after getting a tune?
Lund only applies a different shift strategy to the normal drive mode and does not change anything in sport or other drive modes. You can still use drag mode if you want it to shift HARD AF. I doubt there's any performance advantage to using drag mode versus Lund's performance shift strategy.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
You can tell them to put the shifts back to the stock setup, thats how I like it because like you said, with a tune all modes kind of seemed like drag mode to me. The stock setup drag mode is as violent as youd want anyway and for most driving I like the stock shift firmness of sport mode (seamless non violent shifts).

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PBD here. Rob’s got me in drag mode all the time. F it! Send it!
PBD here too, I had them change it because my tires were going to die every 1k miles lol. Also for track driving , sport mode allows you to shift on sweeping turns without breaking traction. I like the seamlessness of non drag mode shifts for every day driving and you can always put it in drag mode when you want to send it and break traction hard.

Last edited:

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
PBD here too, I had them change it because my tires were going to die every 1k miles lol. Also for track driving , sport mode allows you to shift on sweeping turns without breaking traction. I like the seamlessness of non drag mode shifts for every day driving and you can always put it in drag mode when you want to send it and break traction hard.
I understand that, but I’m a straight line guy. DR and drag pack all the time. A2BASAP!

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
With my AED flex tune on 401a A10 the modes are all very distinct still.

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10 speed Auto
How did you have them change it again? Also what shift points are you at? 7800 or different?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How did you have them change it again? Also what shift points are you at? 7800 or different?
Just asked my tuner to put the shifts back to more like stock. Currently my tune is at 7500, not sure if its actually better than 7800 or if somewhere inbetween would be best. I want to do some testing. I usually paddle shift though and I think 7500 or so feels best but sometimes higher seems better so IDK.

Sponsored

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
With my AED flex tune on 401a A10 the modes are all very distinct still.
Don’t get me wrong. I still have different modes. Sport still downshifts like a stick car and all that, but normal is pretty much like drag mode for me. Shifts hard AF@7800 and I like it!

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
Just asked my tuner to put the shifts back to more like stock. Currently my tune is at 7500, not sure if its actually better than 7800 or if somewhere inbetween would be best. I want to do some testing. I usually paddle shift though and I think 7500 or so feels best but sometimes higher seems better so IDK.
If you’re NA, 7500 is best shift point. If you’re boosted, it’ll pull to 7800 no problem.

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10 speed Auto
That's fine and dandy if you have drive modes in the first place. Base cars like mine don't have em. Ford should have made them standard, especially drag mode.

I understand why the tuners make the shifts super hard, basically drag mode all the time. The hard shifts forces momentum into the next gear due to the heavy mass flywheel. So every time you shift, the car lurches forward. This is especially apparent with drag radials. I feel this this brief jolt of acceleration with every shift now that I have NT05r's. You won't have this effect with normal shifts, so it will actually slow you down because the momentum won't be carried into the next gear. Hence why the harder shifts are preferable for racing. But it would be nice to have something softer for everyday driving, and a press of a button when you want to those harder shifts. There really should be a mod for this for base cars without having to buy a new center console or digital dashboard.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I understand why the tuners make the shifts super hard, basically drag mode all the time. The hard shifts forces momentum into the next gear due to the heavy mass flywheel. So every time you shift, the car lurches forward. This is especially apparent with drag radials. I feel this this brief jolt of acceleration with every shift now that I have NT05r's. You won't have this effect with normal shifts, so it will actually slow you down because the momentum won't be carried into the next gear. Hence why the harder shifts are preferable for racing. But it would be nice to have something softer for everyday driving, and a press of a button when you want to those harder shifts. There really should be a mod for this for base cars without having to buy a new center console or digital dashboard.
One other theory I have is that maybe the harder shifts are actually easier on the transmission clutches, keeping them alive longer with more HP?
Sponsored