Sticky steering wheel

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
I'm 74 and have had lots of leather wheels in my life.but my 19 gt premium is stickier thany any I've ever owned.tried Lexoi I cleaner, no change.then leatherette,no change.then Lexol conditioner nothing.read an article saying Murphy oil soap

https://www.hunker.com/12001681/how-to-clean-leather-with-murphy-oil-soap

Would work.have any of you all had this issue,and or used murphys. I drive in a 10. 4 position with my hands.and it's sticking mostly on my left hand that rests on one of the spokes.i know it's a small deal.but it's driving me nuts.i might just buy some driving gloves.
Sponsored

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
I've noticed the same thing with mine.

Driving a manual I usually have my left hand at the 1:00 position and my right on the shifter. I always assumed it was because my left hand was resting heavily on the wheel.

OP
OP
Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I've noticed the same thing with mine.

Driving a manual I usually have my left hand at the 1:00 position and my right on the shifter. I always assumed it was because my left hand was resting heavily on the wheel.
This leather is so soft and pliable I figure it's picking up the natural oil in my hand and acting like a sponge.it it was alcantra is try dawn,but think it's too harsh for the leather wheel.glad I'm not the only one

JohnBoyNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
First thing's first......that's NOT leather.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Depends if you want something that looks nice or is temporary. What are your specifications?

The cheap route is to go to Home Depot or Lowe's Home Improvement and get some grip tape. The stuff feels a little like soft sandpaper but you won't worry about slipping after that. The more elegant solution is to wrap your steering wheel with a custom wrap. Something like this.

Or driving gloves would work too.

Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
There are mods for this. Might not be practical, but how many mods are practical?
144310d1322626841-steering-wheel-covers-steering-wheel.jpg

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
There are mods for this. Might not be practical, but how many mods are practical?
144310d1322626841-steering-wheel-covers-steering-wheel.jpg
That interior looks really familiar. I'm guessing a Chevy Blazer(S10-based ones).

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
IDK, I've always had best luck cleaning with water if I just want it residue free. Don't be rough, just give it a good rub with a wet microfiber. You can give it a UV protectant one you find out what you like to clean with.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kinda reminds me of when the dash on my IS300 turned into a goopy mess in the sun.

ddeluce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT California Special with Power Pack 1
The leather is likely picking up moisture and oil from your hands. Everyone's hands are different, my steering wheels tend to stay in pretty good shape, but my wife's cars always need regular cleaning to remove dirt and oil build up (maybe its the hand lotion she uses, who knows). Check this video out for proper way to clean your wheel:
https://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/how-to-properly-clean-a-steering-wheel/

Sponsored
OP
OP
Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
On the leather issue,a few weeks ago I had asked if it was leather or alcantra.the answers got was leather.in fact one poster said what kind of leather it was.cleaning alcantra us way different than leather,I know from experience.i have premium gt with 401a.any thoughts,I can't Google it and find anything.thanks
Here's the answer I got from Kevin 08-''''
It's "glove leather." Use a leather cleaner/conditioner. Leather safe all purpose cleaners will work, too. Just condition it afterwards.

I use the lexol spray cleaner/condition in 1 on my front seats, steering wheel, and couches. It smells great and is pretty easy to use.

Last edited:

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the leather issue,a few weeks ago I had asked if it was leather or alcantra.the answers got was leather.in fact one poster said what kind of leather it was.cleaning alcantra us way different than leather,I know from experience.i have premium gt with 401a.any thoughts,I can't Google it and find anything.thanks
Here's the answer I got from Kevin 08-''''
It's "glove leather." Use a leather cleaner/conditioner. Leather safe all purpose cleaners will work, too. Just condition it afterwards.

I use the lexol spray cleaner/condition in 1 on my front seats, steering wheel, and couches. It smells great and is pretty easy to use.
Alcantara has a very different feel. Think of rough suede.

rocky5517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sam
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer 67 riviera
OP
OP
Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Here's copy of my window sticker.it says leather wrapped steering wheel.

INTERIOR 12" LCD DIG INSTR CLUSTER AMBIENT LIGHTING AUTODIM REARVIEW MIRROR DUAL ILLUM VANITY MIRRORS DUAL-ZONE ELECTRONIC AUTO CLIMATE CONTROL LEATHER TRIMMED SEATS LEATHER WRAPPED STR WHEEL W/CRUISE AND AUDIO CONTRO POWER LOCKS AND WINDOWS POWERPOINTS (2) SMART CHARGING USB PORT(2) TILT/TELESCOPE STR COLUMN WINDOWS - GLOBAL OPEN

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Sticky steering wheel....eeek! Mine seems fine. I did use Lexol cleaner and conditioner on all the leather bits in the car (wheel, seats etc) the second or third day I had it. Maybe there is something from the factory that helps attract what is on your hands that builds up over time. Anyway, I hope you find a solution as that would drive me nuts, no pun intended.
Sponsored