Sponsored

Any advice on getting this stock collar off the shifter boot in place of a one piece collar?

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
no matter what I do I cant get this piece of crap plastic collar separated. All these videos show a flat head separating the glue in the inside. That is so hard to do. It’s super tough and seems like 1 piece. MGW shows using a saw which I don’t have. I don’t own a repair shop. Wondering if any one has advice. It’s been 30 minutes so far and I’ve sliced my hand 3 times. Lol.
Sponsored

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
Use some dykes to cut the plastic chrome collar

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Use some dykes to cut the plastic chrome collar
I was thinking about using a vice grip to crack off the internal black piece inside. This is nuts. I don’t know how any one does it with out a band saw.

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bump

Rollin'

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
17 gt pp
Maybe a knife heated with a flame could melt though the plastic. Might take a few tries. I don’t really know, I used a hacksaw blade on mine.

Sponsored

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
Which piece are you talking about. If you have a photo or example throw it in the thread. I have taken mine apart a few times and might be able to help.

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dremel with cutting disc
What I don’t get is this when you cut it. Yes it all disconnects from the collar to the internal plastic piece held with glue. But isn’t the real issue the glue. It could easily rip the fragile boot when pulling the remainder off.

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which piece are you talking about. If you have a photo or example throw it in the thread. I have taken mine apart a few times and might be able to help.
The collar. The whole collar connected to the boot. Specifically the part that needs to be separated. The whole flathead technique definitely does not work.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
ive done it twice now and both with different level of difficulty but successful. First time for the Barton collar than second when I installed my MGW. I used oven heat and steam from boiling water the first time and second i used a BIC lighter stick which took longer than the first.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ive done it twice now and both with different level of difficulty but successful. First time for the Barton collar than second when I installed my MGW. I used oven heat and steam from boiling water the first time and second i used a BIC lighter stick which took longer than the first.
Ok I spoke to the owner George. MGW is very different than the Barton And Steeda collar. The way MGW does it is you use a band saw and leave a little bit of plastic in the collar of the boot. You do not remove the piece that has the glue. With that little piece left you push the supplied rubber grommet into that piece of plastic creating. A very “factory” look and seal for the shifter. If you have a knob adapter that screws down and sit on top of that grommet and then the shifter screws down to the knob adapter. And done. Basically this translates to me purchasing a new factory boot which I did because I like the look of stock and now I can have that look.

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah that’s a good video but I know I wasn’t clear. My question was for MGW and it is not done that way with MGW. Thank you for the responses I have figured out the way it’s done with MGW. a bandsaw was necessary to cut the plastic perfectly and then insert the grommet in the cut plastic. But this is a good thread because there aren’t really any from what I see on the forum that actually give advice or links to videos on how to do this. For any colat replacement

Last edited:
OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the way MGW needs to be done.
Sponsored