Sponsored

Trying to decide betweeb a whipple and paxton.

Dark Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramsey
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Read a bunch of threads and still haven't decided. Kinda hard just reading about them, all my experience has been with turbos, and I'm fairly certain I don't want a turbo. Any of you guys with a whipple or paxton set up live near Columbus Ohio that can give me a ride to see for myself? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Keeshan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Read a bunch of threads and still haven't decided. Kinda hard just reading about them, all my experience has been with turbos, and I'm fairly certain I don't want a turbo. Any of you guys with a whipple or paxton set up live near Columbus Ohio that can give me a ride to see for myself? Thanks in advance.
Lebanon Performance Ford. Thats where i got my car and work done and love the whipple!

OP
OP

Dark Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramsey
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Lebanon Performance Ford. Thats where i got my car and work done and love the whipple!
How much was the install if you don't mind me asking. Probably gonna tackle the work myself, but just curious.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
How much was the install if you don't mind me asking. Probably gonna tackle the work myself, but just curious.
Seems around 1500.00 or so from when I looked into it for a dealer to install a roush.

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
I live in Galloway. Whipple car. Come on!

Sponsored

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
From personal experience, it really depends on the type of deal you get IMO. They'll both get you to the maximum safe limits of a stock motor and transmission, so if you only care about that, then the question becomes how important is instant torque to you?

Is having better pickup in the 2-4k rpm range critical enough to warrant probably around $2k?

For what it's worth, I've been in a Whipple car, Paxton car, and two different Turbo cars. Turbo cars were definitely the fastest, scariest, and most fun (all were making around 800 whp).

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
really comes down to driving style and what you want.

lots of good options, paxton , vortech , procharger, whipple, edelbrock, hellion, all make great systems

were in cincinnati so not too far and could always dial ya in with whatever you need, feel free to hit me up with any questions or stop by if your in the area

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Whipple all day! loved mine. instant torque down low was a blast

lx347cd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT and 2003 Cobra
I say Whipple. The quality, performance, detailed instructions, and customer service are top notch.

OP
OP

Dark Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramsey
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT

Sponsored
OP
OP

Dark Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramsey
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
From personal experience, it really depends on the type of deal you get IMO. They'll both get you to the maximum safe limits of a stock motor and transmission, so if you only care about that, then the question becomes how important is instant torque to you?

Is having better pickup in the 2-4k rpm range critical enough to warrant probably around $2k?

For what it's worth, I've been in a Whipple car, Paxton car, and two different Turbo cars. Turbo cars were definitely the fastest, scariest, and most fun (all were making around 800 whp).
Yeah, for maximum performance, I'd go turbos all day. And I love turbos, but at the added price point, install pains, and more things to check to make sure everything is OK, I think a S/C will be what I'm looking for. Just want a fun daily, and be able to hold my own if I find a race or decide to go to Mexico for the night. The block will remain stock for a long time (hopefully) , so I'm thinking about 750 whp on e85 is where I'm gonna stop regardless, and all the systems are capable of hitting that.
I thought I was set on a paxton set up, but so many people seem to be disappointed with its street manners that I'm second guessing that decision and think a PD blower may be what I'm looking for, especially since the newer ones don't seem to fall off up top and don't heat soak anymore, at least not nearly as bad.

My question with the PD blower is, is it harder on the motor than a centri since the boost can come on all at once at low rpms? I thought I remember reading that it's bad for the motor, similar to spraying at low rpm?

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Yeah, for maximum performance, I'd go turbos all day. And I love turbos, but at the added price point, install pains, and more things to check to make sure everything is OK, I think a S/C will be what I'm looking for. Just want a fun daily, and be able to hold my own if I find a race or decide to go to Mexico for the night. The block will remain stock for a long time (hopefully) , so I'm thinking about 750 whp on e85 is where I'm gonna stop regardless, and all the systems are capable of hitting that.
I thought I was set on a paxton set up, but so many people seem to be disappointed with its street manners that I'm second guessing that decision and think a PD blower may be what I'm looking for, especially since the newer ones don't seem to fall off up top and don't heat soak anymore, at least not nearly as bad.

My question with the PD blower is, is it harder on the motor than a centri since the boost can come on all at once at low rpms? I thought I remember reading that it's bad for the motor, similar to spraying at low rpm?
Theoretically you will be subjecting the engine to more stress, but I've seen just as many centri cars have their motors fail as I have PD. In short, I don't think it should be a huge concern IMO. I would say though that centri cars are much less harsh on the rest of the driveline though, which might become relevant when you have to upgrade the rest of your car.

To address your Paxton point, when you say people are disappointed in the street manners of the blower, do you mean that it's not as fun to drive on the street? If you're equating street manners to driveability, centri cars are probably the easiest and most daily-able boost setup you could buy. But of course they won't be as instant as PD cars so they'll feel slower when driving around town (they feel pretty much bone stock under 3.5k rpm).

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
On my last car I went PD for ease of access.

I really like the Paxton feel but man is working on it a pain. The plumbing for those kits takes all available space it seems.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Turbo /thread.

Growing up on turbos, i figured i'd switch it up. I had a paxton on my 2014 coyote car and sold the kit 3 months after i installed it. Power delivery left a lot to be desired. Went to twin turbos and LOVED it. Sold car and bought a 2007 GT500 with a 2.3 TVS swap. Loved the power delivery and car felt very fast.. but wasnt, really. It made 643 whp and trapped low 130s/high 120s.

Sold the Shelby and bought a new 2018 with 10r80. Went straight to turbos and NO PLANS on looking back. Car is so damn fast its retarded. Trapped 147 mph on 12 psi. I installed my kit and havent touched a thing in 3000 miles since ive installed it.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
I installed the Whipple Stage2 kit with the mild whipple tune on my fun car 2017 mustang gt and it drives like it did from the factory.Drove it the drag way,bought a coke, relaxed a few minutes and went to the line and went 10.80 ET 132MPH.
No records set, but very few 10 second street cars on the street where I live.
Sponsored