Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
As an added bonus it creates a layer of (thin) padded insulation between the blower and the knock sensors, which might be helpful in preventing false knock signal from rotor noise being picked up by the knock sensors, which are essentially just microphones after all.
Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I know you're committed to the idea of the intake spacers, but in this case you might want to consider using some heat shielding on the underside of the blower instead. I'm willing to bet the amount of heat rejection from the system as a whole would be greater. I've seen testing that gained appreciable HP from this mod, like 10-20 hp.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/en...ld-install-dyno-test-more-horsepower-for-less

https://www.fordnxt.com/project-car...d-products-coyote-intake-manifold-heatshield/

bolting-on-a-2-65-liter-tvs-blower-boosts-a-coyote-to-770-rwhp-2018-05-22_00-37-59_359978.jpg

Pic2.jpg

https://www.steeda.com/Heatshield-P...t-Shield-50L-Coyote-2011-2019-GT_p_16115.html
The intake in the pic is already made of a plastic composite material which is an anti heat transfer material, so the under shield material could have some benefit there. On an aluminum manifold bolted to alum heads the heat transfer will take place at the contact points so an under shielding won't make much difference, but the phenolic spacer will.

I have tested these MFP spacers and so has another member here. We both experienced shocking results in a real constant reduction in IAT2 temps (25-30F) drop. Believe you me I was a skeptic that they would work and I've tested and tried many things to reduce IAT2 and the biggest affect was these spacer. I have recorded data from before and after on a word document I could post or send anyone interested in my data. I have 2 dedicated water temps sensors in my intercooler system and a true dedicated IAT2 sensor as well.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Very interesting!

I like what I read in the articles and wonder how that would translate to the E Force as far as gains... do you have to use the spacers to run the heat shields or would they fit fine without the spacers?

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
So the spacers are better than the heat shield? I’d like to see the data of your tests!

Where. An you get these? Any links? What thickness would work on the E Force?

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
So the spacers are better than the heat shield? I’d like to see the data of your tests!

Where. An you get these? Any links? What thickness would work on the E Force?
They are made in Australia by MPF, but are imported and sold by VMP performance for $299. I know they are not cheap bu they work and work well. 8mm thick and I confirmed this when I got them. I can email you my results if you PM me your email address, but there is another thread here with all my data.

https://www.vmpperformance.com/MFP-Phenolic-Spacers-for-11-Coyote-Mustang-GT-and-F150

Sponsored

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The intake in the pic is already made of a plastic composite material which is an anti heat transfer material, so the under shield material could have some benefit there. On an aluminum manifold bolted to alum heads the heat transfer will take place at the contact points so an under shielding won't make much difference, but the phenolic spacer will.

I have tested these MFP spacers and so has another member here. We both experienced shocking results in a real constant reduction in IAT2 temps (25-30F) drop. Believe you me I was a skeptic that they would work and I've tested and tried many things to reduce IAT2 and the biggest affect was these spacer. I have recorded data from before and after on a word document I could post or send anyone interested in my data. I have 2 dedicated water temps sensors in my intercooler system and a true dedicated IAT2 sensor as well.
Right, both of the tests I posted as examples were with plastic intake manifolds. Gains were 12HP on the Coyote, 20HP on an LS. I was actually wondering, the stock o-ring gaskets should compress enough that the flanges make full contact with the head casting, but if you used fatter or higher durometer o-ring seals, would it pull down against the o-rings without making contact with the heads? That would be tricky to get right though, just a thought. And I definitely wouldn't trust that under boost.

Very interesting!

I like what I read in the articles and wonder how that would translate to the E Force as far as gains... do you have to use the spacers to run the heat shields or would they fit fine without the spacers?
Heatshield will work fine without the phenolic spacers, clearance with the Edelbrock blower is about the same as the stock intake, you just have to rotate the knock sensor tails because the rotor housing is wider. The heatshield is only 1/8" thick, there's actually a pretty good gap under the blower, maybe an inch or so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
They are made in Australia by MPF, but are imported and sold by VMP performance for $299. I know they are not cheap bu they work and work well. 8mm thick and I confirmed this when I got them. I can email you my results if you PM me your email address, but there is another thread here with all my data.

https://www.vmpperformance.com/MFP-Phenolic-Spacers-for-11-Coyote-Mustang-GT-and-F150
I agree 100% that keeping heat OUT of the intercooler/blower is the single most significant upgrade you can make. Bigger hoses and pumps are really just band-aids in an attempt to cure the problem that’s avoided with the spacers.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ahhh, the joys of modifying your mods...:headbang:
Got the phenolic spacers milled down to just under 6mm. Winning.
Edelbrock provide grooves for both the small and large type rubber gaskets.
Unfortunately my car has the large ones. I’ll let you guys work out what the problem might be.
Spoke with Matt Coates from MFP about this, he’s never seen that style of gasket used before.
He was more than happy to make a new set for me but I may be able to source the smaller type easy enough.
On the bright side, the extra 6mm height will make the fuel rail install MUCH easier!
1B21EF1E-DE1D-4F39-B01B-0C50D067ADFE.jpeg
162EB885-3459-4FEC-B7F2-5F0CBFFED547.jpeg

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ruh roh. At least you were with it enough to test fit them. Otherwise you'd be tracking down the rough running and whistling sound.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ruh roh. At least you were with it enough to test fit them. Otherwise you'd be tracking down the rough running and whistling sound.
Lol! To be entirely honest, I was actually in the process of checking for thread engagement and port-matching when I found it. Didn’t even get as far as the port-matching bit...:facepalm:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
What's preventing you from using the other style o-ring seals? The Eddy is cut for both, and the heads are flat so it shouldn't matter.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
What's preventing you from using the other style o-ring seals? The Eddy is cut for both, and the heads are flat so it shouldn't matter.
Absolutely nothing except availability.
I was mainly sharing the info in case others are thinking about going down a similar path.
I was lucky that I know a guy with a spare set. Outside of that, I’d be waiting a few days which kinda sucks when you’re planning to have the whole thing together over a weekend.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Took the time to port-match the spacers to the heads. They were actually pretty damn close to perfect.
Probably no real need given that the Edelbrock ports are slightly under sized relative to the intake ports of the heads.
Pic shows the typical mismatch. Very little in it really.
0CA67793-02EA-4C89-BFBB-3C42F288DF5D.jpeg
Sponsored