MrOldschool45

MrOldschool45
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package
so how bad were your IAT's with the Whipple? Can you elaborate?
Yes, please elaborate. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but your post makes it seem like the Gen 2 Whipple has a heat problem. Was it just your heat exchanger location, bad system install, open air element/closed, did you have twin cooling fans, oversized heat exchanger or the small one? What coolant did you use for intake manifold intercooler? I read you post the other day, but I don't remember exactly all which you said - sorry if you already mentioned any of this.
Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Typically 20*c (or more) above ambient after a few minutes of driving without going into boost. Heatsoak from the heads up into the lower manifold/IC seemed to be the main issue.

Took it to the drags a few months back, ambient temp of 90*f (a pretty standard day around here, not hot by any measure), after each pass (1/8th mile), pulled the car back to the pits and pulled the hood immediately. After sitting for almost two hours between runs, IAT2 was still sitting around 130*f.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Yes, please elaborate. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but your post makes it seem like the Gen 2 Whipple has a heat problem. Was it just your heat exchanger location, bad system install, open air element/closed, did you have twin cooling fans, oversized heat exchanger or the small one? What coolant did you use for intake manifold intercooler? I read you post the other day, but I don't remember exactly all which you said - sorry if you already mentioned any of this.
Thanks
The Gen 2, 3 and 4 whipple's are all top of the market when it comes to the intercooler setup and it's efficiency. The biggest issue I see are people running the tuner kit with exposed air filter in the engine bay, this sucks hot air from the engine at low speeds and idle. Closed Airbox setup have much less heat transfer from the engine.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks
Install was fine. Pump was flowing normally. I was using OS HE, water wetter, roughly 30/70 coolant/water. Pulled the rubber seal at the rear of the hood to create more airflow.
Velossa Tech Big Mouth installed in the hope of grabbing cooler air.
I think that despite my best efforts to seal the intake, it was still not quite right.

Maybe opening the grille up would help?
Phenolic spacers would DEFINITELY help.

I don’t know. I just wasn’t impressed with the way the Whipple delivers power and if I was going to be throwing more money at the problem, it just seemed simpler to spend that cash swapping to a TVS blower that gives the type of power delivery I prefer.

Sponsored

MrOldschool45

MrOldschool45
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package
Install was fine. Pump was flowing normally. I was using OS HE, water wetter, roughly 30/70 coolant/water. Pulled the rubber seal at the rear of the hood to create more airflow.
Velossa Tech Big Mouth installed in the hope of grabbing cooler air.
I think that despite my best efforts to seal the intake, it was still not quite right.

Maybe opening the grille up would help?
Phenolic spacers would DEFINITELY help.

I don’t know. I just wasn’t impressed with the way the Whipple delivers power and if I was going to be throwing more money at the problem, it just seemed simpler to spend that cash swapping to a TVS blower that gives the type of power delivery I prefer.
Understandable. I appreciate all the info. Good luck on your new system. I hear lots of good things about the Edelbrock SC. Take care!

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase
@Burkey 20*C? Holy crap! You had a 60*F differential just driving around?

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
@Burkey 20*C? Holy crap! You had a 60*F differential just driving around?
It wasn’t entirely linear, just like the relationship between Celsius and Fahrenheit.
As the ambient temp rose, the differential would be slightly less.

At 48*c (118*f) ambient, it would typically show around 60*c (140*f)
At 30*c (86*f) ambient, it would typically show around 50*c (122*f)
In the really cool months of winter you might get 8*c (46*f) in the morning, showing IAT of 35*c (95*f). There’s a bit of rounding in there obviously but you get the idea.
As to the bit where the car is parked with the hood up at the drag strip, I think that has a lot more to do with the heat of the engine transferring up into the lower manifold, heatsoaking the sensor.
That’s when I developed a system of being able to turn the fans on and off from the cabin.
Basically, whilst the car is stationary, get the IC pump running, fans moving air over the HE and let the IC try and pull the heat out of the lower manifold and heads.
Haven’t had a chance to play with it much as yet.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Had to take a few days off the install for work commitments.
Phenolic spacers from MFP arrived while I was away.
Given the amount of trimming a RHD car requires to make the blower fit, I had basically shit canned the idea of fitting them.
They were meant to be 7mm but arrived at 8.4mm.... 7mm was going to be a squeeze but 8.4 isn’t likely to work at all.
Decided to get them milled down to 5 or 6mm, which will mean a little more trimming but the flip side is that it will make the fuel rails a little easier to install.
The bigger trick will be sliding the blower into position without disturbing the spacers.
I have some ideas on how we might go about this. Pics to follow showing methods.
228371CD-AA21-4353-AEA9-A848F8F67359.jpeg

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The Gen 2, 3 and 4 whipple's are all top of the market when it comes to the intercooler setup and it's efficiency. The biggest issue I see are people running the tuner kit with exposed air filter in the engine bay, this sucks hot air from the engine at low speeds and idle. Closed Airbox setup have much less heat transfer from the engine.
I agree that Whipple do a very high quality kit. There’s no doubt about that. Dustin Whipple is HUGELY committed to his customers. He spent quite a bit of time helping me out when I wasn’t 100% happy with a tune that I’d received from “not Whipple”.
The tuner box is crap though. Would not recommend.
I sealed 95% of the possible gaps in it and still no joy really.

Sponsored

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase
I agree that Whipple do a very high quality kit. There’s no doubt about that. Dustin Whipple is HUGELY committed to his customers. He spent quite a bit of time helping me out when I wasn’t 100% happy with a tune that I’d received from “not Whipple”.
The tuner box is crap though. Would not recommend.
I sealed 95% of the possible gaps in it and still no joy really.
Are you planning to run the stock airbox or EB one?

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I know you're committed to the idea of the intake spacers, but in this case you might want to consider using some heat shielding on the underside of the blower instead. I'm willing to bet the amount of heat rejection from the system as a whole would be greater. I've seen testing that gained appreciable HP from this mod, like 10-20 hp.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/en...ld-install-dyno-test-more-horsepower-for-less

https://www.fordnxt.com/project-car...d-products-coyote-intake-manifold-heatshield/

bolting-on-a-2-65-liter-tvs-blower-boosts-a-coyote-to-770-rwhp-2018-05-22_00-37-59_359978.jpg

Pic2.jpg

https://www.steeda.com/Heatshield-P...t-Shield-50L-Coyote-2011-2019-GT_p_16115.html
Sponsored

Last edited: