Adam's Wheel Cleaner Residue

Norklin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10
Snagged the Adams Wheel Cleaner and Adams Rubber VRT protection.

When I used the wheel cleaner it seems like it worked well (didn't change color though lol) but it left the tires with a weird coating/discoloration, theres no way to avoid it wince you rinse it off. Any tips here? Do I need to use tire cleaner after every wheel cleaning?
Sponsored

SnakeAndSteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Here is my wheel cleaning protocol.

1. Rinse entire wheel, tire and wheel well.
2. Apply tire cleaner to tire and wheel cleaner to wheel. I'll spray tire cleaner around the wheel well too. Allow to dwell for a minute or two. Scrub tire with a stiff brush and wheel well too. Then use a wheel woolie or speedmaster brush on wheel getting the barrel clean. Then I have a specialized mitt for the face of the wheel.
3. Rinse wheel, tire and wheel well thoroughly.
4. I mist an Si02 product on the barrel and face of the wheel and rinse.
5. Do the next 3 wheels.

After car is washed, because you should ALWAYS wash wheels first. Dry wheels with a blower and microfiber towel and apply the dressing of your choice.
You cannot effectively apply a tire dressing or coating without having a properly prepared surface.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
VRT has been great although it does seem to wear off fast considering my car is garaged kept. I was hoping not to reapply each wash but it looks bad if you don't.

For the wheel cleaner my only complaint is it changes the colors of the rotors. I get it but I think this is a chemical reaction which makes me wonder what it is doing to the wheel coatings and tire compound.

OP
OP
Norklin

Norklin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Picture for reference.

Again this wasn't a full wheel and tire cleaning then wheel and tire dressing. Just wanted to test the product on the wheels themselves.
IMG_0207.JPG

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
https://adamspolishes.com/blogs/news/tire-cleaning

ANTIOZONANTS:

An antiozonant is probably something you've never heard of. Its an organic compound added to rubber materials that prevent, or at the very least, slows the deterioration caused by exposure to the elements. Antiozonants are used as an additive in almost all of the exterior rubber and plastic parts to one degree or another, but they are most prevalent in tire manufacturing. The antiozonant additive keeps plastics and rubbers from becoming dry, brittle, oxidized or cracking. It does this by preventing the surface of the material from oxidizing and keeps the material pliable.

Thanks to antiozonants in rubber compounds we have high mileage tires, performance tires, and everything in between. Without it sports cars would shred tires incredibly fast after just a few high speed turns or long track runs where the tires were heated up. Even your daily driven commuter car would need tires far more often as the sun and heat slowly rotted away the rubber compounds.

TIRE BLOOMING
Tire rubber compounds are designed in a way that allows the antiozonant to continually work its way to the outside of the tire and as such, continually keeps the outer surface and sidewall pliable and resistant to oxidation. Once antiozonant reaches the outside of the tire and is exposed to air and moisture it oxidizes, the result being a brownish residue. The term for this ugly brownish tire look is 'tire blooming'. Just like metals left exposed to the outside world will slowly begin to rust (oxidize) as it is exposed to water and air, so does the antiozonant component of the tire rubber. Making matters worse is the use of mold releases in the manufacturing processes. These lubricant type chemicals provide a non-stick surface for the inside of a tire mold. The mold releases chemical bonds with the tire and hold antiozonants onto the surface of the tire. While some people will point to mold release as the primary and/or only source of tire blooming, it is in fact often times only a part of the problem. Even after the removal of mold release, a tire will continue to push antiozonant to the surface allowing the brown residue to return.

REMOVING THE BLOOMING:
Removing the blooming is really a simple process - the use of a good degreasing agent, like Adam’s Tire & Rubber Cleaner, and a stiff bristle Tire brush should be more than enough to remove even the worst blooming within a few treatments. Be sure to rinse the tires extremely well with clean after each cleaning to remove any chemical buildup.

Once the brown residues are removed regular cleanings with Tire & Rubber Cleaner shouldn't need to be as aggressive, but if you notice the blooming returning just scrub well. Adam’s Tire & Rubber Cleaner is a citrus based degreasing solution that combines the power of an industrial strength degreaser with a user friendly citrus based cleaner. Adam’s Tire & Rubber Cleaner contains a unique blend of citrus solvents and surfactants to create a high sudsing formula and removes silicones, greases, wax build up, polymers, and any previously applied dressings to leave your tires looking like new. Adam’s Tire & Rubber Cleaner is an essential part of the first step in basic wash practices when cleaning your wheels and tires first before the remainder of the vehicle comes in contact with water. Adam’s Tire & Rubber Cleaner has set the standard for rubber, tire, and plastic trim cleaning products without using harsh ingredients that are harmful to you or the environment.

The application of a quality water based dressing like VRT or a dressing low in silicone content like Adam's Tire Shine will help slow the reappearance of blooming by providing a barrier between the tire surface and the environment.

Sponsored

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Basically, you removed all of the dressing that was there, and the "blooming" appeared where you removed the tire dressing. Clean the entire tire with a good all purpose cleaner, re-apply your tire dressing and it will "go away."

OP
OP
Norklin

Norklin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha, new car so i assume thats either factory or dealer crap on there. makes more sense.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
As per the info from the Adams website really. I scrub my tires each time I do the wheels. If you keep them clean enough, you'll only need to hit the tires once - takes less than a minute and you're down there doing the wheels anyway! Tires as per your photo you may need to hit them 2-3 times (rinse, apply cleaner, scrub, rinse). Top tip that has helped me - keep repeating the process until the foam you see whilst scrubbing is white, that'll mean the tires are free of all junk :)

Highly recommend Adams "tire shine", if you want a slightly glossier/darker tire, mine always comes up real nice.
Sponsored