LOEzell

OldME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Convertible
I am seriously considering self-installing this supercharger in my 2018 Mustang GT with A10, pp1 and magneride. I am retired, so I have the time. I am reasonably mechanically inclined and have a good set of tools including the torque wrenches I need. My Mustang already has 20k miles, so losing the 3yr, 36k Powertrain warranty is not so important. However, this will be, by far, the most complex automotive project I have undertaken. I would really appreciate any advice/tips any of you, that have done this install, would be kind enough to give me before I make the plunge. Also, this car is my DD and I won’t track or drag it; Only a few spirited partial pulls here and there. Can I safely forgo installing the billet oil pump gears?
Sponsored

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
I say go for it. I installed a twin turbo kit on my 2018 that required a TON of custom fabrication and i enjoyed every minute of it. I did NOT install billet oil pump gears or sprockets and my car made 913 whp on the dyno. You will get tons of mixed opinions on the oil pump gears.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I am seriously considering self-installing this supercharger in my 2018 Mustang GT with A10, pp1 and magneride. I am retired, so I have the time. I am reasonably mechanically inclined and have a good set of tools including the torque wrenches I need. My Mustang already has 20k miles, so losing the 3yr, 36k Powertrain warranty is not so important. However, this will be, by far, the most complex automotive project I have undertaken. I would really appreciate any advice/tips any of you, that have done this install, would be kind enough to give me before I make the plunge. Also, this car is my DD and I won’t track or drag it; Only a few spirited partial pulls here and there. Can I safely forgo installing the billet oil pump gears?
You can do it!:like: Seriously, it's a big job but very doable. Having a good set of 2nd hands makes it even easier. Instructions are pretty good and theres a whole thread on here of all the issues you might run into. I didn't do opg or sprocket and in my opinion theres no need as long as your not bouncing off the rev limiter. If I where to ever go all out and build for max hp and rev to 8k than I'd think about putting them in.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
You’ll absolutely need a second set of hands to lift the blower in, way too heavy for one person.
If you have good array of tools and can think outside the square a little, you probably won’t find it too hard.
Trickiest part of the install, by far, is the fuel rails. If you have patience and dexterity, you’ll be fine.
The instructions seem very much geared toward the 18-19 car, so you should be able to follow them easily.

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
A 12 year old girl can install a blower so long as they go slow and read the directions. Things don't start to get complicated until you start do custom mods like fuel systems and wire tucking.

Sponsored

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
I’ve installed three Whipple’s in my garage with basic hand tools and determination that your blower will be no different.

Make sure you have some trim tools a couple of telescoping magnets and at least one of those flexible tools that has the clause on the end for picking up dropped bolts and stuff.

A box of shop towels and make sure you get enough jugs of distilled water and your coolant of choice.

Also it might not hurt to buy a set of the spark plugs that come with your kit and pre-gapped them and if you want install them I had a time and then you can gap the Plugs that come with the kit and set them aside as a spare

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase
I did the Edelbrock 2650 install on my '15 by myself, only having a second set of hands to physically lift the blower into place. You'll need a set of fuel line removal tools, but otherwise if your garage is well stocked you should be fine.

I made it easier on myself by pre-staging everything (adding connectors to hoses, installing the bottle to the bracket, gapping plugs, etc.) and doing the HE and pump install the day before.

Also, for the love of god, if you're going to use a boost gauge install the line on the blower BEFORE you bolt it down, lol. I have a scar on my hand from rubbing the skin off on the cowl brace.

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Buy one of these for the bolts that go from the blower to the heads. Check the install guide and find out their size, I think they are 8mm or 10mm, I dont recall, then go find the low profile swivel socket for them. It will make the install a lot easier

Unknown.jpeg

rum_punch_ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 17 GT Premium, Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
Do it! I've never done anything outside of suspension swap on a car before and was able to knock this out in a few days. No bad connections, no leaks, etc.

As above has mentioned go through and prep/inventory the parts for each step and get the swivel socket as that part was the most difficult for me (fuel rails were a breeze but YMMV).

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Not sure if the Whipple is lighter than the 2650, Don't think so, but I've lifted mine on and off 10 times myself. Yes it's heavy but still possible.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if the Whipple is lighter than the 2650, Don't think so, but I've lifted mine on and off 10 times myself. Yes it's heavy but still possible.
The 2650 is all one piece, whereas the Gen 2/3/4 Whipple’s are two pieces. I had no issues lifting the Whipple out by myself but not a single hope of getting the 2650 back in on my own.
It’s not just the weight (which will be enough on its own to stop you) but the fact that it’s a DAMN tight fit.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
The 2650 is all one piece, whereas the Gen 2/3/4 Whipple’s are two pieces. I had no issues lifting the Whipple out by myself but not a single hope of getting the 2650 back in on my own.
It’s not just the weight (which will be enough on its own to stop you) but the fact that it’s a DAMN tight fit.
Yup...that makes sense then.

H00CH90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I'm in the process of doing it right now, first supercharger install ever and biggest project I've ever done. I have a decent assortment of tools, not great and I'm by no means a mechanic. If the fuel rails hadn't taken so long I'd be done with it. They really are the only part of the install that gave me any trouble so far.

gracjan88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I did the Edelbrock 2650 install on my '15 by myself, only having a second set of hands to physically lift the blower into place. You'll need a set of fuel line removal tools, but otherwise if your garage is well stocked you should be fine.

I made it easier on myself by pre-staging everything (adding connectors to hoses, installing the bottle to the bracket, gapping plugs, etc.) and doing the HE and pump install the day before.

Also, for the love of god, if you're going to use a boost gauge install the line on the blower BEFORE you bolt it down, lol. I have a scar on my hand from rubbing the skin off on the cowl brace.
Any dyno or 1/4 mile numbers on your setup?

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase
Any dyno or 1/4 mile numbers on your setup?
583/557 wheel on a very conservative dyno tune with 80mm stock throttle body, 47lb injectors and no BAP at 10.5 psi. The other run is the Edelbrock tune, which was 514/472 wheel with everything else equal. Don't run my car, so no run numbers for ya, sorry. As you can see, the torque is more than enough to make the stock clutch cry.

Blankenship Dyno Tune.jpg
Sponsored