Sponsored

BMR Tech Tip: Check those axle-to-spindle retaining nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It can be either a slower popping noise or faster like in the video.

Sponsored

Last edited:

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
Ouch..

Honestly when i was finding a similar issue on my IRS i took WD40 and started spraying shit one by one to see what it was. it turned out to be the rear subframe bushings. they were not loose but i think its just play in the collars and bushing now from deforming the lockout collars from overtorqueing and later backing them off after finding it was only 150ftlbs and not gorilla shit. I only sprayed the rubber below the subframe and not between the body and subframe. I also marked around the body near the bushings to make sure it wasnt moving. if u have any lockout or bushing mod i would review it as well.

Do you notice the noise goes away after raining or moisture in the air? Tells me its a rubber bushing.

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All I have is IRS braces. And they were on a while before the issue started. The car doesn't see much rain but it does sometimes go away. Just after the video I sprayed silicone spray around the rubber on suspension. I think I'll get under there next with the wheels off and spray down the bushings. If that doesn't work I'll remove the braces. This car only has about 9,000 miles on it so it very well could be a rubber bushing dried up.

Ouch..

Honestly when i was finding a similar issue on my IRS i took WD40 and started spraying shit one by one to see what it was. it turned out to be the rear subframe bushings. they were not loose but i think its just play in the collars and bushing now from deforming the lockout collars from overtorqueing and later backing them off after finding it was only 150ftlbs and not gorilla shit. I only sprayed the rubber below the subframe and not between the body and subframe. I also marked around the body near the bushings to make sure it wasnt moving. if u have any lockout or bushing mod i would review it as well.

Do you notice the noise goes away after raining or moisture in the air? Tells me its a rubber bushing.

Last edited:

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
So I went to order new nuts, and I found that Levittown Ford Parts shows CCPZ-3B477-G as being discontinued, though it's available for purchase on Tasca Parts and AutoNation WLB Parts. No clue why Levittown is showing as discontinued.

JR

MadMuirder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP

Here's my noise. Happens when starting/stopping. Also can recreate at low speeds (1st/2nd gear) going from no throttle/idle to very low throttle. In the video I'm riding around in 1st gear at idle, right around 1000rpm, going up to maybe 1200 rpm, you hear a creak noise almost like spinning a small ratchet. It happens when I let off throttle and rpm drops back down to around 1000rpm. I can only hear it when the windows are down. Sounds like it's coming from driver side wheel. I also hear it when shifting 1st to 2nd (as the weight shifts forward/backwards).

I checked the axle/spindle nut, mines at least 150ft/lbs. Didnt move any when tightening.

Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Is there any play in the wheel? Still, I have had clicking even with tight spindle nuts and no play in the wheels. That made me replace the nuts, the hubs, and the half shafts. Since then, no more noise.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
If the bearing is shot , tightening the nut wont do any good

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm leaning towards my noise being related to a dry bushing now. My car is over 2 years old and has about 9600 miles on it. It's been really dry here for two or three weeks and it's been getting worse. This was after replacing the nut on the noisy side. I just detailed the car washing in the suspension area more than normal and backing it out yesterday there was no noise whatsoever whereas before it was consistently present.

MadMuirder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Is there any play in the wheel? Still, I have had clicking even with tight spindle nuts and no play in the wheels. That made me replace the nuts, the hubs, and the half shafts. Since then, no more noise.
No play in wheel. I guess I'll take it into a shop and see what they can identify. I was planning on doing 800hp half shafts sometime next year but I guess I'll move that up a bit and push suspension upgrades out a bit.

Jetset335

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
My car is at the shop for exactly the same metal clicking noise! They just called to say that the rear axle nut was loose. (Driver side). I expect Ford to cover this under the 60K powertrain warranty, but they are trying to deny it because no parts were replaced. My 2015 Mustang has 28K mileage. I have challenge that and I'm waiting for the call back. If they deny me again the dealer wants $125. Not a lot of money but what is the use of a powertrain warranty if they are not going to cover powertrain problems.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
My car is at the shop for exactly the same metal clicking noise! They just called to say that the rear axle nut was loose. (Driver side). I expect Ford to cover this under the 60K powertrain warranty, but they are trying to deny it because no parts were replaced. My 2015 Mustang has 28K mileage. I have challenge that and I'm waiting for the call back. If they deny me again the dealer wants $125. Not a lot of money but what is the use of a powertrain warranty if they are not going to cover powertrain problems.
Did they say they believed the nut had been removed at any time?

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My response would be they should replace the nut, hub, and halfshaft....

Jetset335

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
No, they did not ask anything about previous nut removal. There response was that nothing failed on the car, it was just a noise / rattle. I will have to call costumer service to further dispute the charge. That be said my car is back and the noise is gone. The dealership seem to be on my side, but I am still out $125. They did torque both driver and passenger axle nuts. I'm going to look up the SB to see exactly what was done.

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
Popping, squeaking, wheels wobbling, vibrations and many other symptoms can occur when the rear axle to spindle/knuckle retaining nuts lose their clamping force.

I am seeing this almost on a weekly basis at this point, both with stock and aftermarket set-ups.

I have found that installing a new nut and torquing them to 150ftlbs + 1/8 turn with Red Loctite has been the best for myself and our project cars.

I recommend marking the nut to the shaft so you can inspect them occasionally to ensure the nut does not back-off of the threads.
S550 Spindle Nut.jpg
so this is probably why my dealer ordered new axles for this creaking sound @30k miles
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.