Sponsored

What is this weird chirping sound?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just tried this again... still can't feel any play, axial or radial.
UPDATE: The chirping noise was open throttle compressor surge, and the siren noise was a failing turbo bearing. After hearing the turbine blades zipping against the inside of the housing, I pulled the intake off and felt obvious radial play. Turbo replaced at 27kmi.
So when you initially tested for any play within the impeller, you didn’t get any movement at all?

How soon after your posting of no play did you then find the play - or did the turbo chirping just get louder and more consistent and you just took it to Dealer?

It’s really good Tech for other users as a reference, so any additional info you can add would be great.

You’re lucky the impeller didn’t implode, otherwise your engine would be choking down metal frags and a simple chirping could have been a very costly repair.

I had (2) prior SVO’s years ago... 1 of the SVO’s decided to do a turbo implosion at 65mph... talk about a Spy Hunter-esque smoke screen out back.... LMAO... couldn’t see anything behind me at all but smoke; luckily I was able to limp off before anyone could see who it was blanketing the highway in smoke... Funny thing was, that turbo never made any chirps before letting go, it was just an instant failure.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
So when you initially tested for any play within the impeller, you didn’t get any movement at all?

How soon after your posting of no play did you then find the play - or did the turbo chirping just get louder and more consistent and you just took it to Dealer?

It’s really good Tech for other users as a reference, so any additional info you can add would be great.
I could feel no play whatsoever when the siren noise began. I found the radial play just a couple weeks ago, after a cold start where I could actually hear the impeller blades grinding against the housing. That's about a year. The chirping was resolved by changing tuners; the siren noise was consistent throughout that time until the impeller was making contact. The new turbo is silent, except for your normal turbo whine.

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
All turbos have some radial play as the bearing is a floating one (oil cushions on inner and outer diameters of shaft and housing).
It is hard to get a good test with the turbo on the car, much easier to inspect when it's off, especially on the exhaust side. though if you took off both intake and DP that would help too.
On a lot of turbos when wear happens the exhaust side gets a lot of radial play and wears the oil ring seal to point it smokes as that side is heavier.

I think what happens with EB is when pushing high boost 24+ that you're out of compressor efficiency and the turbo speed is overspeeding so any issue can compound.

Turbostang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
RubyRed, how load would you say the sound was? Was it more prevalent with the windows open or closed?

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
They're not terribly loud. Loud enough to hear without straining. Chirping is easier to hear with the windows up due to road noise; siren easier to hear with windows down because you're usually parked at its worst.

Sponsored

CanadianStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philippe
Vehicle(s)
FORD MUSTANG ECOBOOST 2015 AT NO PP.
They're not terribly loud. Loud enough to hear without straining. Chirping is easier to hear with the windows up due to road noise; siren easier to hear with windows down because you're usually parked at its worst.
Any idea if this could be the cause of a failing turbo ! Only does it when engine is hot (cause hot oil in the turbo ? No idea tbh )

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
That looks like contamination to intake air supply.

Sponsored

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
But intake is stock and only thing I have is an Green filter with around 2000 miles on it. Should be fine with warranty no ?
I have no idea on the warranty, I am just saying that "looks " like something that debris got ingested.
Like running w/o air filter or maybe spark plugs electrode issues.

If the blades are touching in the curved part you will see rub pattern in the housing, then the bearing is most likely worn.

I have seen that too with water injection when its sprayed before the turbo intake but nobody does that anymore with FI.

Is that on stock boost?

CanadianStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philippe
Vehicle(s)
I have no idea on the warranty, I am just saying that "looks " like something that debris got ingested.
Like running w/o air filter or maybe spark plugs electrode issues.

If the blades are touching in the curved part you will see rub pattern in the housing, then the bearing is most likely worn.

I have seen that too with water injection when its sprayed before the turbo intake but nobody does that anymore with FI.

Is that on stock boost?
Stock 100%. I got my engine replaced last January (long block and new turbo and a few engine bay parts) because cylinder 1 exploded on each side (warranty) (rod kinda went out of cylinder ) . Is it possible I had debris in intercooler or intake ? I know I have the same intake tube as before. Could also be a bad turbo but ..

I put around 10000kms on it since January. I also have sometime a burned/gas smell sometime when I’m driving it a bit hard (higher rpm) (don’t know what it could be , but transmission looked A1 said dealership).

Also got this noise but may be related to the turbo blades .

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
Stock 100%. I got my engine replaced last January (long block and new turbo and a few engine bay parts) because cylinder 1 exploded on each side (warranty) (rod kinda went out of cylinder ) . Is it possible I had debris in intercooler or intake ? I know I have the same intake tube as before. Could also be a bad turbo but ..

I put around 10000kms on it since January. I also have sometime a burned/gas smell sometime when I’m driving it a bit hard (higher rpm) (don’t know what it could be , but transmission looked A1 said dealership).

Also got this noise but may be related to the turbo blades .

It's hard to say after it all repaired, but the way these engines explode I could see small dust debris get into Intercooler and piping from PCV (valve cover to Turbo). The problem is it doesn't take much to do damage when the turbo is spinning 120k.
I don't know what's covered with repairs of 6200 miles but I would bring it in and let them check it out.
PS: put the stock air filter back in for good measure.

Last edited:

CanadianStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philippe
Vehicle(s)
It's hard to say after it all repaired, but the way these engines explode I could see small dist debris get into Intercooler and piping from PCV (valve cover to Turbo). The problem is it doesn't take much to do damage when the turbo is pinning 120k.
I don't know whats covered with repairs of 6200 miles but I would bring it in and let them check it out.
PS: put the stock air filter back in for good measure.
Yea ; let’s take no guess ! I will let you know as soon as I drop it at the dealership on Thursday.

Thank you very much for the feedback ; much appreciated !
Sponsored