Sponsored

2019 Mustang GT Engine Tick

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
The conclusion is no one outside ford no one really knows. I don’t believe what he says in the video.

The tick starts/gets worst after and oil change. It’s always on the passenger side of the car. It does it hot or cold to some degree. Some car have very little/none, some cars tick like crazy. Has been around since 2011.

This horse has been beaten, stabbed, shot, robbed and laid to rest as a glue factory.
I think you're talking about 2 different issues. The 2015-17 tick usually started with an oil change. Mine did. That's what the BBQ tick refers to.

The 2018+ have a different noise which nobody really knows the cause of. I don't know how you couldn't believe a guy who clearly knows what they're talking about in the video.
Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I think you're talking about 2 different issues. The 2015-17 tick usually started with an oil change. Mine did. That's what the BBQ tick refers to.

The 2018+ have a different noise which nobody really knows the cause of. I don't know how you couldn't believe a guy who clearly knows what they're talking about in the video.
I have owned a 12,15,18.

12 had a tick. Very light almost like a lifter tapping. Intermittent. Didn't own one oil change.
15 had a tick on cold start. Passenger side. Louder but still hard to catch. Louder after oil change. Intermittent.
18 has loud tick on cold start. Passenger side only. Goes away as oil ages. Just changed oil loud again. Also has DI rattle. 2200-2800 rpm.

The reason I don’t believe him is
1. He is a sales man that builds engines.
2. Piston slap is not intermittent. Extremely predictable sound.
3. Piston slap happened on all sides or cylinders.
4. People have torn down these engines to find the tick and EVERYTHING is in spec. Including what he said.
5. There are other engines that make almost this exact sound.

My guess it is revisions made to the oil system causing some type of cavitation. That with the plastic oil pan and 2 more quarts of oil.

OP
OP
nick20s

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 10R80 201A
I have owned a 12,15,18.

12 had a tick. Very light almost like a lifter tapping. Intermittent. Didn't own one oil change.
15 had a tick on cold start. Passenger side. Louder but still hard to catch. Louder after oil change. Intermittent.
18 has loud tick on cold start. Passenger side only. Goes away as oil ages. Just changed oil loud again. Also has DI rattle. 2200-2800 rpm.

4. People have torn down these engines to find the tick and EVERYTHING is in spec. Including what he said.

My guess it is revisions made to the oil system causing some type of cavitation. That with the plastic oil pan and 2 more quarts of oil.
I have owned a 12,15,18.

This is really helpful! Thanks for your post! How is the new 10 speed automatic transmission? Do you have that in your stang?

OP
OP
nick20s

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang with 5,500 miles. It rattles and I've heard the "tick" here and there. It doesn't consume oil, isn't down on power, so I'm not worried. Seems to just be the motor.

If you are overly concerned you can get an extended warranty for not a ton of money. I got one and I'd recommend it to others.

How much did you pay for extended warranty? Thanks!

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
This is really helpful! Thanks for your post! How is the new 10 speed automatic transmission? Do you have that in your stang?

It is awesome. It’s what sold me on the car. It’s the best transmission I have ever driven.

You want at least a 301a car to get drive modes. Sport+ is what I use most of the time. Downshifts are great.

Sponsored

OP
OP
nick20s

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)
It is awesome. It’s what sold me on the car. It’s the best transmission I have ever driven.

You want at least a 301a car to get drive modes. Sport+ is what I use most of the time. Downshifts are great.
That’s cool! Roughly, how much will 301a add to the base price?

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I really don’t remember.

I bought mine from Stivers in Montgomery. Check out their inventory. They beat the crap out of everyone’s prices.

I hate car dealers but they where pretty good to work with.

Pro tip. Avoid the extended warranty. You have 3-36 bumper bumper warranty. If the car gives you problems before that is up you can add it just like when buying new. There is no point in paying interest on a warranty you won’t use for 3 years.

OP
OP
nick20s

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)
I really don’t remember.

I bought mine from Stivers in Montgomery. Check out their inventory. They beat the crap out of everyone’s prices.

I hate car dealers but they where pretty good to work with.

Pro tip. Avoid the extended warranty. You have 3-36 bumper bumper warranty. If the car gives you problems before that is up you can add it just like when buying new. There is no point in paying interest on a warranty you won’t use for 3 years.

This is awesome! Really appreciate your tips. I checked online, it's 2K for 301a, definitely worth the price for the fun factor. I live in Atlanta and Montgomery is not too far, I will call them up right away.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
This is awesome! Really appreciate your tips. I checked online, it's 2K for 301a, definitely worth the price for the fun factor. I live in Atlanta and Montgomery is not too far, I will call them up right away.

Email them if you want a good deal.

Email levels the playing ground on negotiation. They are great at it. Us common folk are not.

Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Honestly, watch this video from a builder who knows what they're talking about instead of listening to anyone on either side of the argument.

From what I’ve seen here ...with photos....issues are in the piston pin area 3 and or 9 o’clock
This video if anything points to scuff at 12 or maybe 6 o’clock. This video is educational for plus 460 hp needs. Always a better mouse trap out there...that business knows there stuff bar none. Video Doesn’t by any means address specifically stock motor short comings...maybe I missed that part.
Ford’s Five liters attaining what it does is impressive. Very impressive.
How can it be termed weak or short on some/any level?
Since when can you add 33% plus... more anything without re-engineering?

OP
OP
nick20s

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)
Email them if you want a good deal.

Email levels the playing ground on negotiation. They are great at it. Us common folk are not.
I have made my purchase! This car is a marvel. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MENTIONING ABOUT THE 301A OPTION! I would have missed that and had no idea about it. OTD $36,850 (including $850 gap insurance) and I used my bank's financing. Is this a good deal?

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have made my purchase! This car is a marvel. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MENTIONING ABOUT THE 301A OPTION! I would have missed that and had no idea about it. OTD $36,850 (including $850 gap insurance) and I used my bank's financing. Is this a good deal?

Sounds like a great deal to me. It’s such a fun car. Smiles all day.